30k Vehicle/Automata Concepts - The Manufactorum

I've been re-working my original Warg ruleset, but as the new Sabre uses the Mastodon's front tracks too, it looked to be a decent base for a proof-of concept:

gallery_53779_12611_480904.png

gallery_53779_12611_1530821.png

*sneaks*

you can make rules for it you know... you know you want to! :teehee:

(sorry for pic-posting :smile.: )

1022371-Aircraft%2C%20Flyer%2C%20Horus%2

Nice! You gonna proxy it as a Xiphon?

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

Yepp, Xiphon.

I envisioned it more of a strike-craft operating in a close support role, the large wingtip thrusters are there to allow for VTOL on minimally prepared ground close to the frontline for refuel/rearm and extreme angle of attack manuvers at low speed/ low altitude. So it can dogfight but only does so at low altitude where it can use the terrain and its manuverability to hamper the effectiveness of high-altitude air superiority fighters who will otherwise chew it up.

It's also more of a sub-orbital strike fighter with trans-orbital capability so it can ferry itself from a ship in low orbit to a planetary surface and back but it does not have the RCS-thrusterarrays or the specialized engines to fight effectively in a vaccuum.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 12:48 AM, Chicken Raptorson said:

Not much activity these days

Yup, several reason:

1. Most of my output over this thread was from when I was a student, so I had a decent amount of time to design stuff & spending time on it didn't draw time away from making a living, whereas now I'm a freelance illustrator which is *not* a lucrative field, so I have less time to work on stuff like this
  2. A something of a perfectionist, my standard for the kind of art I'm happy to share here has gone up considerably, so there's a much greater lead time between stuff I post
  3. I only really use the B&C as tool to collate more finished stuff, if you want more thoughts on designs/ less finished stuff, my Twitter is the best place to go

I like how you've melded the Mech and typical Knight aesthetics for the head, and how brutal it looks.

The Proioxis is great, actually a little surprised that this is the first heresy-ancester of the chaos knight legs I've seen. Xana was a good call, fitting and a nice implementation of the weird politics of pre-heresy Mechanicum weapons design. Love the scorpion look to the head too, decent touch.

Thanks! Glad someone noticed the scorpion head influence - yeah I remember looking at the Chaos Knight's sprues when it launched and being surprised by how 'clean' the skeleton is - it doesn't really have any chaos-y influences until you add the armour, so seemed like the perfect candidate for a conversion kit, plus I'm enamoured with the design of the chest plate

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I've been organising my designs somewhat in order to see how easy they'd be to break down into separate themed supplements and from just the Legion tanks alone, I've got 23 designs based on existing hulls to varying degrees and 8 entirely original vehicles, and that's not including Legion-specific variants or any other kind of vehicle outside of tanks.

So fair I've separated them down into 6 feasible supplements (which would also include rules for stuff like additional vehicle upgrades, Rites of War etc.): 

• Legion Line Armour (currently 7 battle-tank style vehicles)
  • Legion Reserve Armour (currently 4 Deimos pattern variants of Legion-available Imperial Army vehicles)
  • Legion Super-Heavy Armour (currently 6 super-heavy vehicles)
  • Legion Armoured Transports (currently 4 dedicated transports)
  • Legion Artillery (currently 4 self-propelled artillery tanks)
  • Legion Support Armour (currently 6 support vehicles)

One recent design I'm particularly interested in is my take on the "Tartaros Pattern Land Raider" mentioned in Imperial Armour volume 2: 2nd edition. It was described as apparently related to the Land Raider Prometheus and I figured it'd be a good opportunity to have a go at designing something around the classic epic chaos land raider, which mounted it's 4 lascannon in a single large turret:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1999/c1999p0233-01.jpg

With this in mind, and given that the upcoming Primaris Gladiator tank has been described as an advanced variant of the Predator, I figured reverse-engineering the Repulsor Executioner into an obscure Heresy-era tracked Land Raider variant might be a cool project:

01.jpg

It's got a similar blocky turret to the Epic chaos Land Raider, which I figure I'll mount a quad heavy bolter on (can be swapped for a quad lascannon) to help justify the Prometheus connection, as well as mounting an advanced optics array in place of the hull weapons (which can be swapped back in). Obviously I'll have to Heresy-up it's aesthetics, which'll include getting rid of all the mini-turrets and reactive armour systems as well as chucking on a pair of beefy tracks.

Also in what is undoubtedly a foolishly ambitious move, I'm considering trying to turn the Nemesis Dreadknight into an actually usable Dreadnought pattern, maybe a Heresy-developed type designed to fight Imperial Knights :teehee:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well, the next sororitas vehicle revealed has given me *more* ideas, so here's a rough breakdown:

Legion Predator-Fortis Heavy Battle Tank:

u8mvrFhSfj8iXBSI.jpg

I'll be modifying the Castigator's design by kinda merging it with the heavily armoured appearance of the deimos vindicator hull, but the general proportions of the turret'll be the same and the weapons loadout is similar (but with the deimos sponsons & sicaran style hull mounting) - the basic idea being that the fortis is a predator variant manufactured during the heresy as Legions' supply chains fragmented and the intensity of the war ramped up. Given the predator was available in large numbers and can even be produced by Legion fleets, the fortis was developed to compensate for losses in heaver/more advanced tanks that were harder to replace, with additional armour and a heavier weapons load compared to its predecessor.

Basic loadout will be a slower, more armoured predator with a hull & sponson heavy bolters, plus the turret battlecannon as featured on the castigator. Options will include:

* Swapping the battlecannon for an avenger bolt cannon or an arachnus heavy lascannon 

* Swapping the hull heavy bolter for a heavy flamer/ multi-melta

* Swapping the sponson heavy bolters for autocannon/ lascannon

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...