30k Vehicle/Automata Concepts - The Manufactorum

Wasn't this a miniature back in the day? Wasn't there a dread that had a jump pack too? Would have been nice if we got these in 40k and not centurions.

Are lucifer dreads still piloted by marines on life support?

T'was, good sir.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/dreads.jpg

Minus the fact that I didn't care for the machine being piloted, battletech style, I would have loved if they had altered it to contain a half-dead Legionnaire, and set it as IHF has described. If GW had done this instead of That-Which-Will-Not-Be-Named, I might not have come running and screaming in pain to the 31st millennium.

Wasn't this a miniature back in the day? Wasn't there a dread that had a jump pack too? Would have been nice if we got these in 40k and not centurions.

Are lucifer dreads still piloted by marines on life support?

T'was, good sir.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/dreads.jpg

Minus the fact that I didn't care for the machine being piloted, battletech style, I would have loved if they had altered it to contain a half-dead Legionnaire, and set it as IHF has described. If GW had done this instead of That-Which-Will-Not-Be-Named, I might not have come running and screaming in pain to the 31st millennium.

Well, according to FW's Heresy books, the Furibundus is a separate pattern to the Lucifer Dreadnought - my idea for the Lucifer was as the pattern produced after the Furibundus, but before the Mk IV 'Castraferrum', so it's supposed to have design features of both.

In terms of how it works, it's supposed to be exactly the same as any other Dread - just a slightly smaller pattern - which is why there isn't a pivoting 'waist' - the sarcophagus stretches into the lower chassis.

Me too.

Damn you, IHF. I got enough on my plate, I don't need to be trying to figure out how to modernize a Furibundus and make this Mastiff at the same time.   :tongue.:

Well, I could always do a design of the Furibundus too, to save you some of the hassle :P

I meant, actually building this badass for my Alpha Legion Cell.

I'm thinking Castellax lower legs, and the hips and upper legs of a platic dread (trimmed down) would be a good start, though I'm struggling to think of an easy torso piece to work from. Perhaps an old Epic titan torso, like the Warlord?

I meant, actually building this badass for my Alpha Legion Cell.

I'm thinking Castellax lower legs, and the hips and upper legs of a platic dread (trimmed down) would be a good start, though I'm struggling to think of an easy torso piece to work from. Perhaps an old Epic titan torso, like the Warlord?

A Lucifer? Damn, that would be really cool - yeah, Castellax legs would work, but I'm stumped in terms of the torso - although if you could find suitable assemblies for the arms, then simple plasticard sheets would work for the pauldrons

Wait, for the torso, you could cut and re-position the main chassis of the standard SM bike - the front & rear farings might make some decent armour? Although you might have to bulk it up a bit

*Facepalm*

So simple, I can't believe I thought of it right off the bat. I'll just pick up an actual old Furibundus Dread off Ebay, they're a dime a dozen. Chop it high at the waist, dremel out the head to re-create the "sarcophagus" look you have in your illustration, a little plasitcard and greenstuff.....

Dude, this is happening. Thank you very much for the inspiration, IHF. :)

*Facepalm*

So simple, I can't believe I thought of it right off the bat. I'll just pick up an actual old Furibundus Dread off Ebay, they're a dime a dozen. Chop it high at the waist, dremel out the head to re-create the "sarcophagus" look you have in your illustration, a little plasitcard and greenstuff.....

Dude, this is happening. Thank you very much for the inspiration, IHF. :smile.:

Ah, no worries - it'll be cool to see what you come up with - in the meantime, these tanks won't design themselves!

I'm always happy to help jam out ideas and thoughts for war machines of all types, bro. 

I've got a ton of concepts that have been in my skull for years, more than to happy to help out when i can.  :biggrin.:

Edited by 1000heathens

A thought: Would the Ordo Reductor/Legion Cybernetica feel the need to use an analogue to the breacher siege squad formation? I can see a horde of Thallax or Castellax size automata with a souped up siege shield advancing into a breach, one or two armoured with rad cleansers or similar.

Maybe something similar to the Iron Circle?

A thought: Would the Ordo Reductor/Legion Cybernetica feel the need to use an analogue to the breacher siege squad formation? I can see a horde of Thallax or Castellax size automata with a souped up siege shield advancing into a breach, one or two armoured with rad cleansers or similar.

Or, add a Siege/boarding Mantlet as an option to the Lucifer dread, for those really nasty boarding actions.

Or, add a Siege/boarding Mantlet as an option to the Lucifer dread, for those really nasty boarding actions.

Heavy flamer on swivel mount, heavy bolter/something nastier in right hand. I like it.

EDIT: I can see a talon of these in such a configuration leading a boarding action, trailed by scores of cataphractii. A Precurser to the Mark IV/Castraferrum Ironclad pattern, perhaps?

Edited by Sgt. Cotys

I like that idea - a nice heavy mantlet (c'mon you'd need something capable of stopping a chainfist) so perhaps a 3++ BUT it denies the 2d6 armour pen from chainfists?

Alongside this obviously (as per earlier mention) allow the option to swap out the servo-bolter for a heavy flamer (I think an Irad cleanser is too advanced for these ponies) and swap the bokter for the shield/mantlet an' you have yourself a monstrous breacher unit.

(imagines lucifer dreadnoughts with arm-mounted multi-meltas, swivel-mounted heavy flamers and a large siege mantlet cleaning corridor after corridor of greenskins in a space hulk)

damn! the keyboard is covered in drool!

For some reason I've never like the idea of Dreads having stuff like shields & non-DCCW melee weapons - and that certainly wasn't helped by this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120101116_SWVenerableDread01.jpg

Plus, the whole idea of the Mass-reactive Plating was specifically for boarding-esque situations - armour that detonates into the face of your enemies. Then again, if you really wanted, you could just model the Mass-reactive Plating into a massive siege mantlet - a massive slab of ceramite studded with shaped explosive charges that detonate once it's structural integrity is compromised?

Also, you'd still have a DCCW, which would be useful in Zone Mortalis, and all the different options for swapping out the Heavy Bolter & Twin-linked bolter are still there.

automata with a souped up siege shield

the Iron Circle

my thoughts exactly. With the multi-melta Castellax, a hammer from the old metal chaos dread and a Bullgryn shield (or two aegis defense line parts?) it would be easily doable, albeit I recon FW will release true colossos-class battle-automata soon

Colossus Class Robots were a type of war robot deployed by the Legio Cybernetica.[1]

A siege Robot, the Colossus uses a Siege Hammer to pound down enemy fortifications, though it is equally useful squashing opponents. Other armaments include a boltgun and melta gun. Protected by a power field/synchroniser unit, its weaponry can be replaced with autocannons, heavy bolters, and power fists, allowing for a number of combinations.[1]

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/9/99/ColossusRobot.jpg/180px-ColossusRobot.jpg edit: or did they already? http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/large/thanatar1.jpg

...best color scheme ever...:ermm::yucky::down:

I do like the idea of Dreads with Shields, though, yet maybe a bit more functional:

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/33073_DemolisherPlasticWEB_0.jpg

Edited by Nehekhare

Yeah, I hope the Iron Bloods get some representation by FW at some point in the future. Also, there's been a bit of discussion on possible future releases by FW in terms of Mechanicum here - I posted a link to some of Jes Goodwin's sketches of slightly updated ideas for the automata, which are pretty cool - my design for the Lucifer drew on his Dreadnought sketches quite a bit.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/ProductCategories/LordsofWar.jpg

LEGION / AUXILIA MASTIFF ASSAULT TANK:

Designed to act as a vanguard unit for following infantry formations, the Mastiff Heavy Assault tank was developed as the Great Crusade began to expand forth from Terra’s local star cluster, originating as a basic siege modification to the Malcador chassis. With the majority of the Mastiff’s weaponry and armour mounted on its front facing, the rest of the vehicle was dedicated to delivering this ceramite-clad firepower to combat as expediently as possible, featuring a retrofitted engine and heavy mine plough to clear obstructing debris.

Although such a brutally simple weapon saw only limited use with many Legions - quickly replaced with a number of alternatives as the Great Crusade progressed - those Astartes formations which favoured assault or attrition often utilised the Mastiff in linebreaker deployments, and it would remain a vital component of a number of Commanders’ strategies even in the bloody wars of the Heresy.

gallery_53779_9225_237.png

Legion / Auxilia Mastiff Assault Tank: BS: 3 Armour: 14/13/11 HP: 6

Unit Composition:

• 1 Mastiff Assault Tank

Unit Type:

• Super-Heavy Vehicle (Tank, Fast)

Wargear:

• Traverse-mounted battle cannon with co-axial reaper autocannon
  • Search light
  • Smoke launchers
  • Retrofitted engine
  • Mine plough

Retrofitted Engine:

The Mastiff features enhanced drive units which increase its speed, allowing it to range ahead of attached forces and smash into enemy formations with devastating force. If a Mastiff forgoes shooting in order to move Flat Out, it moves an additional D6 inches on top of the usual 6” and it may still choose to do so even if it has performed a Tank Shock or Ram in the same turn.

However, if it does choose to move Flat Out, all the vehicle's ranged weapons apply the Gets Hot! rule in the subsequent turn.

Options:

• A Mastiff may exchange its battle cannon for:

-Demolisher cannon

• A Mastiff may exchange its reaper autocannon for:

-Flamestorm cannon

• A Mastiff may take the following hull-mounted weapon:

-Falx rocket mortar

• A Mastiff may take any of the following:

-Hunter-killer missile

-Armoured ceramite

-Flare shield

• A mastiff may take one of the following pintle-mounted weapons:

-Heavy stubber

-Heavy flamer

LEGION OPTIONS:

• A Mastiff may be upgraded to take:

-Space Marine Legion Crew

• Additionally, a Mastiff may exchange its battle cannon for:

-Frag cannon

• Additionally, a Mastiff may exchange its reaper autocannon for:

-Kheres assault cannon

• Additionally, a Mastiff may take one of the following pintle-mounted weapons:

-Twin-linked bolter

-Combi-weapon

Frag Cannon:

Incomplete STC designs for the brutal Fragmentation Cannon were possessed by a number of Forge Worlds prior to the Primarch Sanguinius’ discovery, but only with specifications recovered from Baal could it enter limited production for the Legions’ arsenals, where it saw use with a number of assault vehicles.

Falx Rocket Mortar: Range: 12-48” S: 4 AP: 5 Type: Heavy 4, Barrage, Blast (3”), One-shot

Frag Cannon: Range: Template S: 6 AP: - Type: Assault 2, Rending

Siege Munitions:

• If the detachment contains a Siege Breaker Consul, then the Falx Rocket Mortar may be upgraded with the following (and exchanges its profile for that listed):

-Phosphex Cluster Munitions

-Rad Scourge Warheads

(Phosphex Cluster Munitions): Range: 12-48” S: 5 AP: 2 Type: Heavy 4, Blast (3”), Poisoned (3+), Crawling Fire, Lingering Death, One-shot

(Rad Scourge warheads): Range: 12-48” S: 4 AP: 3 Type: Heavy 4, Blast (3”), Fleshbane, Rad-phage, One-shot

SOLAR AUXILIA OPTIONS:

• Additionally, a Mastiff may take any of the following:

-Explorator Adaptation

-Pintle-mounted multi-laser

I though I'd post the rules up, considering you know what it looks like roughly - I'll probably do a concept sketch anyhow and upload it later.

Just for anyone interesting, the opening post is now an index for the different rules/designs.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

For some reason I've never like the idea of Dreads having stuff like shields & non-DCCW melee weapons - and that certainly wasn't helped by this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120101116_SWVenerableDread01.jpg

That is just so laughably stupid. The range of motion on those arms is so small that it couldn't properly attack or defend itself with either.

give me half an evening an i'll have 12% of a plan involving night lords chain weapons and a tank. and blood. And lightning. cue dio

give me half an evening an i'll have 12% of a plan involving night lords chain weapons and a tank. and blood. And lightning. cue dio

Or a chance for it to bust its drive gear on a special roll after moving flat out, thus immobilizing it for a turn? Something that will perhaps make it a risk to move that fast but if worst come to worst, it's not a sitting duck, it can shoot back.