Does anyone use Techmarines or Engineseers?

Kilofix

Does anyone use Techmarines or Engineseers to actually repair stuff? If so, underwhat circumstances - what point level, what units are repaired, how many Servitors, where do you position them, etc.?

I just realized that its been a really long time since I repaired anything - even though in every Apoc game that I field AM - I always have an Engineseer and an Atlas.

That's not to say I haven't used them in other roles - like manning Thudd Guns, etc. - just haven't repaired in a while.

Thanks for the opinions.

First off, I play IH, so my tech marines are a bit better, and my vehicles all have IWND. Also, I tend to run A LOT of vehicles, making the repair ability less situational and more worth having.

That being said, I love my techies, I just wish they were cheaper. In the past I ran an Motf as my warlord in a Storm Raven. I get to repair damage on a 3+ which is really nice when it gets vector locked. If any other vehicle gets damaged, i have the speed to deploy him quickly to make repairs. Keeping him in the Raven also has kept my warlord safe, denying "slay the warlord".

If tech marines could take larger squads of servitors and/or dedicated transports, they would be much better at their role in repairs. HH tech marines are better thought out in this regard.

They could be nice if you have multiple backfield vehicles so that they stay operational as long as possible. And remember, battle brothers can repair each other's vehicles now ;)

Soon I'll be trying out two more tech marines with harnesses mounted with tacs in a razorback. Their harnesses add considerably to the squad's firepower, however what I really want to test is if its also worth having more repair options throughout the army.

I run Iron Hands MotF with 4 servitors that hide behind 3 iron clads that run into anything foolish enough to get in their way.

Granted I don't play to be competitive as this is not always a successful strategy. It has had a 50/50 history of killing enough enemy units to make its points back.

At the very least it draws a lot of fire away from my other units.

Yes, but I'm odd like that and have always liked the priests from Mars. The addition of the MotF was one of the best things that happened to the SM codex for me and with the new rules for Enginseers every Guard player should consider one if they've a reasonable amount of heavy armour on the table :)

I even like to run them with a couple of servitors too :P

I'm also an Iron Hands player, and I have a MOTF riding in my Land Raider Redeemer with the Chapter Master and Honor Guard.  Works beautifully to keep that big box rolling forward.  Anecdotal, sure, but in at least two games that I've won in tournaments repairing immobilized results from within the LRR was key to ensuring the delivery of a face-beating via Master & Honor Guard.

I take it that we can pack more than one unit in a transport now. That wasn't the case before 7th, was it?

Not exactly, but techmarines are independent characters so you forego the servitors they can join another unit in a transport vehicle.

I use a techmarine with servo-harness in my mounted Deathwing armies (2000 pts or more). His repair ability hasn't granted me any amazing successes yet but he also fulfils a secondary role in being able to separate from the unit to chase down stragglers with his flamer and power fist attacks, or grab an objective.

Thanks for the opinions all.

In a Marine army, do you think a Techmarine is worth it for anything less than a Land Raider (like for Dreads, etc.)?

Dreads need all the help they can get, but it'd only be worth it if you had a few elements sitting back unleashing the Emperor's wrath on the enemy for him to oversee. Maybe with a Whirlwind and Pred too for example, not an awful way to spend some spare points if you have them and want to keep your backline trucking. So probably best to pass unless you have a list and strategy that he can take part in?

Archived