++ The Dark Council - A Word Bearers Community ++

• 4 weeks later...

So, what are the thought on the new combo we can make now than PA2 is out ?

I intend to play a Jetpack Lord with a chain-axe and a thunder hammer. Give him the Possessed warlord trait (+1 to attack, strenght, Mouvement and deamonic/possessed keyword). Upgrade the axe in Ashen Circle Axe (no disengagement) and get this Murder possessed 5 attacks on 3+ reroll 1 strenght 10 D3 dmg AP-3 in a raptorial ost.

Make him Slaanesh, put an Slaanesh Herald with Hysterical Frenzy next to him : now he is strenght 11 (or twelve ?) and can fight twice per turn.

And alternative for a Daemon machine list is a Lord Disco with the blasphemous crown and the regain D3 wound per turn (have to check but i think it's D3 by player turn so D3 for yours, D3 for the adversaire turn)

The upgrade Dark Apostle with disciple and the Epitle of Lorgar can also get Two prayer on 2+ reroll the 1, so you get that sweet Havok full lascan with -1 to hit and 5+ invulnerable save (or +1 to hit)

And alternative for a Daemon machine list is a Lord Disco with the blasphemous crown and the regain D3 wound per turn (have to check but i think it's D3 by player turn so D3 for yours, D3 for the adversaire turn)

"at the start of your turn", so not both players' turns unfortunately.

Anyway the most obvious combo of course, and one which is going to attract a lot of attention over the coming months, is to pour a ton of stuff into making Possessed an unstoppable freight train with no brakes. I do think this is a bit of a trap, they're still expensive and it's easy to go overboard supplying them with characters and buffs, but they're far more effective than they once were and can do some serious damage now. Man, I wish they'd release a unit kit for them already.

Throwing the Exalted Possession trait on a Daemon Prince could be good as well, give them a set of talons and they're doing 8 (9 on charge) S8 3 damage attacks when you pop the Revered Hosts stratagem, all while moving 13". Then you can save the Ashen Axe relic (or something else) for another character.

Our psykers are amazing now, definitely the best in the vanilla book, and I'm looking forward to guaranteeing a death hex on something I really want dead.

Long story short, we do characters/psykers/possessed really well now, so it's great to finally have a niche beyond summoning, which I've always found essentially useless.

>Throwing the Exalted Possession trait on a Daemon Prince

I see an errata coming in on this one.

Word Bearers are quiet character focused now, along with Legion-Daemons. reliable Psychic phase, multiple Apostle Buffs, the death cheating Hexagrammic Wards. A Lord with Exalted Posession, Jump Pack (wings) and Ashen Axe could be useful. And all Legion-Daemons (especially, but not exclusively, possessed) can be a nice breaker, rivaling Berserkers. And if you use them, do not forget those juicy buffs from  the Daemon codex.

Edited by MasterDeath

>Throwing the Exalted Possession trait on a Daemon Prince

I see an errata coming in on this one.

Nope. The Warlord trait specifically says "gains the POSSESSED and DAEMON keywords (if they did not already have them)". Seems pretty safe to say that this was intentionally allowed.

So I did post this in the initial rumors section when the stuff was revealed but I feel it bares mentioning here since we're discussing the potentials for characters. 

I call this "Argel Tal" 

Chaos Lord is Warlord with a Jump Pack (Wings) 

Thunder Hammer (Custode spear) 

Give warlord trait for Possession, daemon, possessed, and +1 move, +1 str, +1 attack. (13 inch move, str 10 hammer, SEVEN (7) attacks on the charge. 

Relic - Crown of Blasphemer for a 3++ invul save. 

"Revered Host" strat for 1 cp. He is now Damage 4 per swing. 

IF someone gets through a killing wound on him before he swings simply drop a CP on the (once per game)  Hexxagrammic ward for an auto-pass save no roll needed (good for emergency) 

This is a "Murder lord" in every sense of the word and is an all-in strategy for damage. Though uses up substantial resources in the process. 

Obvs in this list I would be paying for 2 more relics as well (Epistle and Maleific Tome feels almost like auto-includes) 

I had an epiphany for an incredibly fun fluff oriented list that will follow someday. when GW releases new plastic kits for Berzerkers and Possessed. I want to do a Word Bearers / World Eaters allied list with detachments for both and Khârn and my Argel in the same list. 

Would be immensely fun on table, and decent potential given the Word Bearers and World Eaters strengths. 

I think Tal had the sword not a spear though as his looted weapon (?)

He had both actually. But the Guardian Spear was the one he looted from a Custode.

Both the sword & the spear come from two different Custodians - the spear is the one that killed Xaphen, and the sword was Aquillon's & the weapon that murdered Cyrene.

I've started to thing about a list for Word Bearer. 

I only got two obligations : - No CSM mix (only WB, even if a NL detachment would be more effective) and only new Models

Here it is : 

First batallion : The grand ost. 

Dark Apostle upgraded with the WB stratagem and Lorgar epistle with the -1 to hit prayer and +1 to hit for ranged weapon (or 5 invul save if the list is load with AP weapons)

Chaos Lord without any stuff. Eventualy the Baleful icon if against a aggressiv, close combat army

10 Cultists with range weapon

5 SMC with plasma pistol and plasmagun

5 SMC with plasma pistol and plasmagun

Havocs with 4 lasgun

Havocs with 4 reaper minigun and flamers 

5 Terminators with chain axe and stormbolt, Power fist and plasma on the champ

2 dark disciple

Rhino with 2 combi-bolt

2nd detachement : Ashen Circle (upgraded in Raptorial ost)

Possessed Chaos Lord with jetpack, chainaxe and thunder hammer : Chain axe upgrade in Ashen axe, Warlord with the Possessed trait (+1A, +1S, +1M, Daemon keyword). 

Sorcerer with jetpack and force sword with Prescience and warptime or death hex

Warp Talons (5)

Chaos spawn (1)

Chaos spawn (1)

2nd Bataillon : servant of the 2nd Circle

Syll'Esske

The Contorted Epitome

3 squads of 10 daemonette with instrument

So two bataillon for the CP : 14 CP

1 for the "lvl 2" Apostle, 2 for getting two relic (eventually more for the 3 relic) and 1 for getting the Tip of the Spear warlord trait on the Chaos sorcerer

Plan is to get in cover with the lascan havoks squad, put them with two prayer (-1 to hit and +1 to hit or 5++) thanks to the dark apostle, on 2+ reroll one with the relic. Chaos lord nearby for reroll* and eventually the Baleful icon. 

Cultist and CSM to protect the havoks from Deepstrike, getting some objectif with the rhino

Havoks with Reaper in the rhino (or with the other havoks if i'm execting a rush)

Terminator are to get deepstriking in a ruin and be a pain in the ass with 2+/5++ and bolter discipline 

Daemonette are carrion folder, grabing objectifs.

Syll and Epitome together are a major CC threat to the enemy. 

Then deepstriking the Ashen circle, hopping to make those 7+ charge (with raptorial host WL) for warp talon and the lord. 

The warptalon are here to cancel overwatch, be the lord personnal guard. 

The Lord is here to tear many rectal bulb with a thunderhammer, 5 to 6 attack and possibilities to get +1 Dmg thanks to the WB stratagem. 

All the army is Slaanesh, so Havoks can go Endless cacophony. If ever one of the Slaanesh HQ reach the lord he go with Strenght 12 (i think ?), the advance + charge but especially the Hysterical Frenzy spell. 

And with the axe you can't disengage from the Lord. 

And thats 1982 points. 

*I just realise : with the +1 to hit the reroll 1 from the Lord is useless. So either the 5++ on havoks is great (not sure, but i dont have tank so all the enemy anti vehicule will need to shoot one something) either i change the lord with another HQ. 

Edited by DreamIsCollapsing

Can anyone recommend any good Word Bearers books from Black Library?

I'm going to be repainting the few fullly paint chaos marines I have into Word Bearers (again) in the new year once I've done most of my DG army.

Depends on the era. My personal favourite is where it all began, The First Heretic.

The Word Bearers Omnibus is a cool series, as well. It's got ups and downs, but demonstrates how the "intact" remnant of the legion functions, is structured, and so on. Loyalty among traitors, ambition, grand world-breaking schemes, daemons, astartes fighting the long war on both sides... if any of that sounds interesting, I'd give it a read. I bought a used copy on Amazon for a couple of bucks.

Can anyone recommend any good Word Bearers books from Black Library?

I'm going to be repainting the few fullly paint chaos marines I have into Word Bearers (again) in the new year once I've done most of my DG army.

30k:

The First Heretic

Aurelian

Betrayer

Slaves to Darkness

KNF & Mark of Calth might be worth a look as well. The Purge is okay.

40k:

Word Bearers' trilogy (Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple, Dark Creed)

Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds

I've read TFH, Betrayer, KNF and StD and I will take a look at Aurelian, the trilogy and Apocalypse.

Game wise, I'm imagining Possessed and daemon units are the way forward? There's plenty of strats from the new book that reward those armies and I guess Master of Possessions are a lynchpin to this. With the new chainaxe relic, my warlord is going to be based on a member of the Ashen circle that decided to go his own way.

Yeah. It's easy to get swept up in the excitement of receiving new rules, but we must remember that the WB legion trait hasn't changed & remains fundamentally rubbish, so as of F&F, we have to play to our strengths (characters & daemons). Glad to see another person on the Ashen Circle bandwagon (and if you like that trope, Apocalypse stars a Word Bearers Lord who is a former Ashen Circle marine).

I ran a blob of Possessed in a Rhino vs. Salamanders on the weekend, with a Master of Possession tagging along w/Master of the Union. Gave them all the Mark of Nurgle, used Incursion to summon a Poxbringer, who cast Virulent Blessing on them. Get Cursed Earth or Infernal Power off as well if possible. The end result is a blob of possessed that get c. 3-5 +1 to wound with 6's doing double damage. Apply VoTLW & Revered Hosts as desired, which can leave you with c. 4 attacks per Possessed at S5 AP-2 D2, with +2 to wound & 5s and 6s doing D4.

Needless to say they evaporated a big squad of Aggressors when they made it into combat. So yeah, Possessed are fun to play around with now. I think we have to be careful & avoid pouring too many resources into them, though, as they're still squishy and require aid to get the most out of them. But with the potential of a guaranteed Warptime & the presence of Revered Hosts, Possessed are no longer a laughable unit imo.

I will definitely take a look at Apocalypse then, I really like the idea of the Ashen circle still being around and despoliing all the loyalists hold dear. Besides, the Word Bearers are by far my favourite legion, they're the big bad that the entire setting was started by.

It is a lot of support to bulk up but it's terrifying for the opponent to deal with I guess. I play for fun most of the time and have been to two tournaments (both of which were fun/narrative based) so I'm not too fussed about the current state of CSM although would absolutely love to see them do as well as SM. I am looking into more tournaments and would probably take an army I enjoy rather than a super optimised one (kinda the opposite of what you're meant to do).

Yeah. It's easy to get swept up in the excitement of receiving new rules, but we must remember that the WB legion trait hasn't changed & remains fundamentally rubbish, so as of F&F, we have to play to our strengths (characters & daemons). Glad to see another person on the Ashen Circle bandwagon (and if you like that trope, Apocalypse stars a Word Bearers Lord who is a former Ashen Circle marine).

I ran a blob of Possessed in a Rhino vs. Salamanders on the weekend, with a Master of Possession tagging along w/Master of the Union. Gave them all the Mark of Nurgle, used Incursion to summon a Poxbringer, who cast Virulent Blessing on them. Get Cursed Earth or Infernal Power off as well if possible. The end result is a blob of possessed that get c. 3-5 +1 to wound with 6's doing double damage. Apply VoTLW & Revered Hosts as desired, which can leave you with c. 4 attacks per Possessed at S5 AP-2 D2, with +2 to wound & 5s and 6s doing D4.

Needless to say they evaporated a big squad of Aggressors when they made it into combat. So yeah, Possessed are fun to play around with now. I think we have to be careful & avoid pouring too many resources into them, though, as they're still squishy and require aid to get the most out of them. But with the potential of a guaranteed Warptime & the presence of Revered Hosts, Possessed are no longer a laughable unit imo.

Great to hear it. Someday down the line I'd love to do a word bearers list of some variety focusing on daemons and possessed as the core of the design. But perhaps the way you went about it is more economical and efficient!

1+ for Word Bearers trilogy. I face decimation for saying this, but that set of stories is far superior to the 40k IW arc with Honsou. WB trilogy still holds up today considering its age and the setting change. 

Dangerous words sir! Though high praise for sure. Might have to look into the WB trilogy myself if that is the case. As I loved Storm of Iron

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

There's definitely potential to do an army that plays around Possessed. I'd give it a go myself but I'm limited by what models I have on hand (10x FW Gal Vorbak to transfer across from my 30k WB army). If GW releases a new Possessed kit I'd run an army of them. Not a competitive player but I think the way I did it (9-10 in a rhino, maybe with a character) is probably the best way to use them.

Will be interested to see if people can pull off a 15-20 man blob. Maybe a giant blob with the Mark of Slaanesh & Herald/Contorted Epitome + guaranteed warptime? 7" move + 7" warptime + D6 advance + 2D6 charge. Pretty damn fast.

I'll type up the list I used in the new marine thread anyway for the sake of posterity. I lost, but had a good showing against a good player using what I think is a reasonable Salamanders list, which I'm counting as a moral victory

Greetings brothers,

The dark gods whisper in my ear. I have acquired the chaos half of the shadow spear box and am toying with the idea of a WB detachment. I also bought Abaddon as he was my first HQ.

I really like the concept of having Daemons(esk) mixed with marines, as it’s a different army than my BT.

That said, I’m a bit unfamiliar with how this whole mechanic works. Can someone enlighten me or tell me where to read up on it.

Can I have Daemons within the same detachment as WB? Do they need to be separate? What kind of cool synergies/interactions can Daemons and WB have?

I like possessed, Daemons and the vencomcrawler, I think it fits the WB theme?

Is it feasible to run Abby in a WB army?

Thanks I’m advance for any of the tips you can provide!

Abbadon cannot be in a Word Bearers detachment because he is an HQ choice for Black Legion. 

You can include Daemons in your detachment but you miss out on Legion traits and I believe stratagems. The trait for Word Bearers isn't useful so that isn't a big deal. You can either have a detachments of Daemons or summon them via summoning rules or a combination of the two as other routes of adding Daemons to your army. 

Daemons can buff units that have daemon and chaos mark in common. So a Daemon herald has the ability to buff a unit of Possessed, for example.

Possessed, Daemons, and Venomcrawlers (or other flavors of daemon engines) would definitely be flufly for Word Beaers.