++ The Dark Council - A Word Bearers Community ++

CA19 with the 17 point possesed confirmed. Anyone hyped ?

MV87, bearer of good news!

This is...really big. GW really wants us to play Possessed. Release a new kit already :tongue.:

Until we get a new kit, putting the possessed arms on the new marine bodies would look pretty sweet...

Greetings brothers,

The dark gods whisper in my ear. I have acquired the chaos half of the shadow spear box and am toying with the idea of a WB detachment. I also bought Abaddon as he was my first HQ.

I really like the concept of having Daemons(esk) mixed with marines, as it’s a different army than my BT.

That said, I’m a bit unfamiliar with how this whole mechanic works. Can someone enlighten me or tell me where to read up on it.

Can I have Daemons within the same detachment as WB? Do they need to be separate? What kind of cool synergies/interactions can Daemons and WB have?

I like possessed, Daemons and the vencomcrawler, I think it fits the WB theme?

Is it feasible to run Abby in a WB army?

Thanks I’m advance for any of the tips you can provide!

As for daemons ("CD"), they can be used in your Chaos Space Marines ("CSM") in 3 ways (its a bit complicated):

1.  You can put daemon units and CSM units in the same formation.  This is generally a bad idea, as you lose any LEGION benefit on your marines and any CHAOS GOD benefit on the daemons, and the use of both CSM and CD stratagems (unless you have a different detachment that is all CSM or CD).  However, as noted, the Wordbearer's LEGION trait is not very impressive so losing it isn't such a big deal.

2.  You can reserve points (so, basically don't spend them - meaning that if you reserve 200 points in a 2000 point army, your army list is only 1800 points) that you can then use to summon daemon units during the battle (basically, you spend the appropriate points from your reserve whenever you summon a unit).  This can have advantages in that it effectively gives all your daemons deepstrike, and it allows you to choose what daemon unit you want at the time of summoning rather than at list creation, but is generally not recommended as the summoning rules are kind of crappy (summoning requires a character not to move, you can only summon in an area around the character, the summoning may fail and the summoning can harm or kill your character).  As well, unless you have a separate CD formation, you don't get access to the CD stratagems.

3.  You can field multiple formations, with individual formations containing either CSM or CD.  This currently is the best way to do it, as you get to keep all the individual benefits of each codex (like LEGION rules and strategems), plus get to enjoy where the two codexes synergize (for example, the heralds in the Daemons codex buff all daemons of a given mark, which includes CSM daemon units like our daemon engines, possessed, etc).  The only real drawbacks are that you have to use a strategem (and thus CPs) to deepstrike your daemons, and some tournaments/gaming groups restrict the number of formations you can use.

Personally, I would start with force drawn solely from the CSM codex, then add daemons slowly after you have become accustomed to the rules.  That way you don't have to worry as much of the complication of a whole different rule set, plus you'll have a better understanding of how the daemons compliment your list and where you might be better off using the points for stuff from the CSM codex instead.

As noted above, there are a lot of nice synergies between CD HQ units and CSM marine daemon units - for the most part, the CD auras apply to all daemons of a given mark, meaning that they would also affect CSM units with the daemon codex such as venomcrawler's, possesseds and daemon princes.  Generally, however, it doesn't apply the other way around - CSM auras typically required the Heretic Astartes keyword, which CD don't have.  However, as the CD auras are mark dependent, they tend to work best when all of your daemon units (CD & CSM) all share the same mark.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui