++ The Dark Council - A Word Bearers Community ++

I've done my red a few ways, current approach is:

Black undercoat,

All over drybrush of eshin grey

Basecoat of khorne red

Layer of wazdakka red

Black wash (in the process of switching between badab black and nuln oil) quite heavy and I don't mind if it gets a bit patchy as it creates texture)

Edge highlight with wazdakka red

Final highlights with wazdakka red/troll slayer orange? (one of the Orange citadel paints anyway)

My WB character/praetor surrounded by dice worth their weight in gold. I couldn't resist:

http://i.imgur.com/ARXMPzf.jpg

I want to spray some more thin coats of brighter red on him, because right now there isn't much contrast. Looks brighter with the flash than it does IRL (go figure :P).

My girlfriend won't stop throwing me dirty looks for buying the Word Bearers dice. But they're so pretty!

May they bring you many 6's!*

*when not casting psychic powers

Haha! I spent a good 5 minutes just rolling them over and over... not playing a game at all. Just standing there rolling dice. That's how desperate I am right now. :D

Sooooo how are they? Were they "worth" it? ;)

They roll like a dream, boy!

I hopped into my local GW and played a couple games of Kill Team today using these badass dice and the Khorne Bloodbound dice ( WHY IS THE RUNE ON THE 1 FACE?!) and they were perfect. I used to use chessex dice, which are smaller. These bigger dice feel great in the hand. Realistically, I could have lived without them, but seeing the Word Bearers sigil for my 6's feels very cool.

Sooooo how are they? Were they "worth" it? :wink:

I hopped into my local GW and played a couple games of Kill Team today using these badass dice and the Khorne Bloodbound dice ( WHY IS THE RUNE ON THE 1 FACE?!) and they were perfect. I used to use chessex dice, which are smaller. These bigger dice feel great in the hand. Realistically, I could have lived without them, but seeing the Word Bearers sigil for my 6's feels very cool.

Yeah I dunno why GW went for so long with putting the damn icon on the 1, at least they finally changed it to the 6 on newer dice.

Ugh I'm probably going to have to order a set now, I still find it pretty weird that they are red and gold though :/

Sooooo how are they? Were they "worth" it? ;)

For Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it does. :P

Would you guys consider a lvl3 sorc with MoT on a disc??

I'm thinking about it due to having bought ahriman as one of my summoning sorc (cause he looks cool) and I think the mobility and added 3++ can be nice. He can also kind of support daemon assaults with the tzeentch psychicpowers either buffing himself or just softening something up with a witchfire.

What do you think?

Would you guys consider a lvl3 sorc with MoT on a disc??

I'm thinking about it due to having bought ahriman as one of my summoning sorc (cause he looks cool) and I think the mobility and added 3++ can be nice. He can also kind of support daemon assaults with the tzeentch psychicpowers either buffing himself or just softening something up with a witchfire.

What do you think?

Well when I was first starting Eldar I always played my Farseer on foot in a transport, when I finally switched him to a Jetbike it was very game changing. Having all that extra movement and the ability to zip around the board where I needed him to be was just perfect. Having to take some Tzeentch powers could be a bit of a tax though but I could certainly see it working.

I probably wouldn't use him to summon though. Since he would probably end up blowing himself up with perils the extra points for the disc will end up being a little of a waste.

This thread doesn't get enough love :/

Been having trouble staying committed to my Word Bearers lately as I always tend to want to try out other legions and armies. I decided I needed to re-read/listen to The First Heretic to help me focus and it is working brilliantly! I always forget just how great that book it.

Also set this as my phone wall paper so I get reminded of how awesome they are every time I check my texts!

red_by_noldofinve-d4s6vg9.jpg?w=1022&h=4

She looks so cute in that picture!! All tiny and adorable. :3

I was fuming when Erebus did what he did... (dont know if you have read Betrayer so Ill stop typing there, if you have you know what Im on about, poor girl :sad.:  )

I've just decided to start a Word Bearers army (mainly in 30k but will also use it for 40k) and have placed a big order of stuff from forgeworld to start off with, now I just need some inspiration.

I'm looking at the list of books on the first page and was wondering if there's a specific order for the 30k era ones that makes more sense? like are there some of the books I should read before others (just regarding the Word Bearer ones as I'm after a concentrated dose of 30k WB goodness to get my creative juices flowing).
I already have Know no fear though.

I've just decided to start a Word Bearers army (mainly in 30k but will also use it for 40k) and have placed a big order of stuff from forgeworld to start off with, now I just need some inspiration.

I'm sure everyone will agree The First Heretic is the gold standard for WB exposure in the Horus Heresy series. Betrayer is mostly WE focused but more insight into Argel Tal is also great, I would probably finish up with Mark of Calth as it has some good short stories from a WB perspective.

I'll see if I can get a hold of First Heretic then, heard it mentioned a bunch of times.

Have a lot of ideas for the army already, but more inspiration can never hurt ^^

Also, regarding 30k vs 40k...are the Gal Vorbak basically the 30k version of possessed? or would there be members amongst the Word Bearers that are "slightly less possessed", as in, "more like their 40k versions"?

I'll see if I can get a hold of First Heretic then, heard it mentioned a bunch of times.

Have a lot of ideas for the army already, but more inspiration can never hurt ^^

Also, regarding 30k vs 40k...are the Gal Vorbak basically the 30k version of possessed? or would there be members amongst the Word Bearers that are "slightly less possessed", as in, "more like their 40k versions"?

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Gal_Vorbak

So like I said I'm going through The First Heretic again and it brings to mind a couple of my burning questions related to Lorgar and the Word Bearers.

1: Why did the Emperor even make Lorgar the way he is in the first place? Even at the time he was very secular and considered religion to be one of humanities' greatest evils so why design a Primarch that is predisposed to worship? Yeah sure the planet he ended up on obviously contributed but even before Lorgar was found the Word Bearers showed similar signs so it seems to be in their genes.

2: The very question that Lorgar himself asks Magnus: why wait until now to destroy his faith? Why let him crusade so long converting planets to his Word? Even after all the various HH books I am still not sure.

Maybe the Emperor foresaw that the Heresy had to happen and knew this would be the catalyst? After reading Master of Mankind that seems less likely to me.

IMO Lorgar ended up as one of the ultimate villains of the Heresy and was manipulated far less into his position than Horus, but he's still one of the most tragic figures as well easily ranking up there with Magnus. Magnus at least damned himself, and his legion by extension, long before Prospero burned.

Edit: Maybe I should post this question in the Black Library section, might be more appropriate there.

Edited by ronin_cse

Lorgar was the first to discover the Primordial Truth, the Word Bearers are directly responsible for a) the entire Heresy and b) scattering the primarch in the first place, tainting some of them in the process.

The Imperium as it exists in the 41St millennium is close to how Lorgar was building it before the legion's censure. He is the ultimate architect of both Imperium and the Traitor Legions. Best of all he barely even gets considered such outside of his Legion. When he eventually leaves his seclusion on Sicarus he will a) answer the question about undivided daemon Princes (I reckon he will be a daemon Prince of chaos ascendant personally) b) be the only potential logical replacement for a rumoured deceased Abbadon.

That's just me though.

Lorgar was the first to discover the Primordial Truth, the Word Bearers are directly responsible for a) the entire Heresy and b) scattering the primarch in the first place, tainting some of them in the process.

The Imperium as it exists in the 41St millennium is close to how Lorgar was building it before the legion's censure. He is the ultimate architect of both Imperium and the Traitor Legions. Best of all he barely even gets considered such outside of his Legion. When he eventually leaves his seclusion on Sicarus he will a) answer the question about undivided daemon Princes (I reckon he will be a daemon Prince of chaos ascendant personally) b) be the only potential logical replacement for a rumoured deceased Abbadon.

That's just me though.

Nope, not just you. I couldn't agree more. Lorgar is often referred to as the 'weakest primarch' which irritates me as the detractors judge him purely on physical prowess or are loyalist fans that resent him for his part in instigating the heresy.

Fact is he is responsible for orchestrating both sides of the 40k coin regardless of intent but because he's not all 'RAWR ME SMASH FACE' he doesn't appeal to the masses.

Lorgar IMHO is one of the most interesting and successful primarchs in the entire setting. The schtik and tropes he suffers from are primarily down to GW leaving him meditating in a tower for x number of years instead of doing the things that they have Abbadon doing

Saa........

......or something like that

So like I said I'm going through The First Heretic again and it brings to mind a couple of my burning questions related to Lorgar and the Word Bearers.

1: Why did the Emperor even make Lorgar the way he is in the first place? Even at the time he was very secular and considered religion to be one of humanities' greatest evils so why design a Primarch that is predisposed to worship? Yeah sure the planet he ended up on obviously contributed but even before Lorgar was found the Word Bearers showed similar signs so it seems to be in their genes.

2: The very question that Lorgar himself asks Magnus: why wait until now to destroy his faith? Why let him crusade so long converting planets to his Word? Even after all the various HH books I am still not sure.

Maybe the Emperor foresaw that the Heresy had to happen and knew this would be the catalyst? After reading Master of Mankind that seems less likely to me.

IMO Lorgar ended up as one of the ultimate villains of the Heresy and was manipulated far less into his position than Horus, but he's still one of the most tragic figures as well easily ranking up there with Magnus. Magnus at least damned himself, and his legion by extension, long before Prospero burned.

Edit: Maybe I should post this question in the Black Library section, might be more appropriate there.

Not everything the Emperor does makes sense the way we see it and not everything he did worked out in the end.

In Master of Mankind he tried to explain how he sees the future. He sees many of them and he tries to force humanity on the path that ends up with the ideal future in his eyes. However not even to him it's clear what exactly he has to do to go there and not everything he does results in something good immediately while it might be the better alternative in the long run.

This goes together with the Cabal supposedly having said that mankind if left alone would head to ruin. So maybe the Emperor saw that he needs someone like Lorgar and the Word Bearers to reach the 'golden future' but couldn't see the detail of why he would need someone like that. Maybe the heresy and the ongoing fight between the Imperium and the forces of Chaos is one of the things that prevents humankind to collapse into itself.

That being said the Emperor also said at the end of Master of Mankind that he can't see any path to that golden future anymore but that's already known fluff for quite some time. So while the way it is in the galaxy may prevent humankind from failing it also isn't what the Emperor tried to achieve obviously. It's something in the middle, neither good nor worst case.

Just wondering with running sorcerers with Malefic powers how often do people suffer perils?? I like the idea of taking a couple of cheap sorcerers for summoning though the extra risk of doubles causing perils is making me think a DP would probably be a better choice

I think it's still worthwhile to use sorcs over princes for summoning bombs. 60+75+15=150 for a level 3 with spell familiar, 300 for 2. It's about that much for a single prince, though he has some added utility.