++ The Dark Council - A Word Bearers Community ++

Well gents, I am trying to figure out which daemon models I should buy to compliment my word bearers army. I really like the look of some of the greater daemons (blood thirsters and loc/fateweaver), but it seems like these aren't the units that provide a lot of power to WB lists. Right now I only have a Rage Thirster and 20 Bloodletters. If I mostly wanted to stick to Daemons of Khorne and Tzeentch what should I get next? 

I mean daemons are solid now so any daemons you add to your list is good. Just keep in mind because of daemon loci you probably want to use just khorne daemons, or just tzeentch, not both since then you'll need two detachments for daemons. I've used khorne daemons several times alongside WBs and a bunch of bloodletters and bloodcrushers buffed by a herald is solid. Bloodcrushers are so potent that they often die before reaching combat, but when they do they wreck  hard. I haven't tried a bloodthirster but the model is sweet, and you can't really go wrong with a really big daemon. 

Right, so, got my basic army list structure for the patrol game down but... there's issues. But first, what isn't an issue.

HQ: Dark Apostle with the Accursed Crozarius.

Troops: 9 Cultists and 1 Champion

Heavy Support: Maulerfiend with Lashing Tendrils.

But here's the issue... these following two together make the list go over by 106 points

Hellbrute: CCW, Heavy Flamer and Plasma Cannon

Hellbrute 2: CCW, Heavy Flamer and Twin Lascannons

If I drop the former, I have 73 points. If I drop the latter, 53 points. Should I go for the former and get a Spawn and 10 Cultists, or the latter with a Spawn and 5? Or should I forget the spawn and go for Flamers?

I'd just drop the heavy flamers from the Helbrutes altogether, myself. That's 34 points, right there. Doesn't solve the whole issue, but in either case that's a lot of points for not all that much damage.

Edited by Juggernut

Hmm i think i would go with Helbrute 2 in case of an enemy tank. Anyway you could jimmy in a missle instead of a flamer?

Then prob add some more Cultists to make the Apostle more relevant.

I mean daemons are solid now so any daemons you add to your list is good. Just keep in mind because of daemon loci you probably want to use just khorne daemons, or just tzeentch, not both since then you'll need two detachments for daemons. I've used khorne daemons several times alongside WBs and a bunch of bloodletters and bloodcrushers buffed by a herald is solid. Bloodcrushers are so potent that they often die before reaching combat, but when they do they wreck  hard. I haven't tried a bloodthirster but the model is sweet, and you can't really go wrong with a really big daemon. 

There are other ways to use both like taking a detachment of Khorne Daemons and summon Daemons of Tzeentch. 

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve been so busy with life I haven’t been able to do anything hobby related! However now I’ve managed to arrange a trade with my friend for my Betrayal at Calth in exchange for a CSM Start Collecting box and a Terminator Lords Cadre set when he has the money for them. He mostly plays HH so it’ll be a win/win since I like how the Chaos Marines and Terminators look. Once I get them I’ll try and get to work with them right away!

Honestly if I had to restart my Word Bearers army again from day one, I'd make my marines using a mix of MkIV heresy armor and the CSM shoulder pads/heads. Not a big fan of the old CSM kit so I'd rather use MkIV since that armor looks very nice. That being said I have 50+ of the old marine kits, so it's too late to change up the armor now. 

There are other ways to use both like taking a detachment of Khorne Daemons and summon Daemons of Tzeentch. 

That is true. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I wanted some thoughts from my fellow sons of Lorgar on a thought that's been going through my head for the past hour.

31318141_211164449471540_118839434690968

So these third party bodies are coming out relatively soon, and I was wondering if you gents think these would work well for a traitor guard force to go with my Word Bearers? The idea, at least, is the military force stands apart from the raving cultists and I was considering having these force's take their military style and aesthetic from the traditions of Colchis where they originated from. 

Likewise, going along with that train of thought, I've been wondering how to incorporate the aesthetic concepts of the Arabian/Bedouin designs into Word Bearers, how to translate them at least in some subtle ways into certain Word Bearer units to try and represent that these are old school veterans who come from Colchis. Thoughts?

Oh, and here's a quick pic of an old Word Bearer marine I painted a long while back as a general frame of reference.

njosf5t.jpg

The bodies are from the relatively new company Reptilian Overlords. https://www.reptilian-overlords.com  The Desert Reaver upgrade sprue isn't available yet, but apparently it should be out relatively soon. 

At least, for me, I'm thinking of using the Genestealer Neophyte bodies as the basis. I think the legs/arms will work together with the body sprue quite well. Van Saar models (with a bit of conversion work) could make solid veterans/grenadiers to go with them. Kinda keeps to the theme.

• 9 months later...

just get a bunch of cultists, some zerkers and then mix and match from there depending on what you have or like the look of

the question is more what units you should avoid (like possessed) but I assume its all gonna be reworked with the release of Abby anyway like Loss said

By nailing down your recipe for painting red. Thematically just about everything has it's place in a word bearers force. See if you can find the old dark vengeance sprues on eBay isn't a bad place to start add in the Blackstone fortress hostile and whatever rocks up in the new shadowspear box and you'll have a solid core of troops and characters from which to expand however you see fit.

By nailing down your recipe for painting red. Thematically just about everything has it's place in a word bearers force. See if you can find the old dark vengeance sprues on eBay isn't a bad place to start add in the Blackstone fortress hostile and whatever rocks up in the new shadowspear box and you'll have a solid core of troops and characters from which to expand however you see fit.

FondPettyBufeo-small.gif

Unless you nail down your red recipe, you won't be able to start Word Bearers. Because literally EVERY unit makes sense for them, thematically.

As a side note: I'll be painting all the Chaos Marines and the Master of Possession in Traitor's Red when I get my box(es). Because my World Eaters don't use normal Chaos Marines or Sorcerers :lol:

Isn't the silver trim pretty much the only thing that's different between the World Eaters and Word Bearers colour scheme anyway? Painting it brass instead of silver would then basically just turn them into World Eaters without anything left making them out to be actually just khornate Word Bearers. :huh:

I'd like a recommendation from the Frater hive-mind:

I want to paint my Word Bearers in standard Word Bearer colours, but also tie them into my Khornate stuff. Would making the shoulder trim my brass recipe fit?

gallery_108437_14773_30400.jpg

These are the Sanctified, a warband of Word Bearers that exclusively worship Khorne. They were introduced during the Siege of Vraks books iirc. Painting your marines to look like them would be an easy solution.

I probably should have specified: My Word Bearers will NOT be solely Khornate, I'm just trying to keep my Marines and Knights keeping a similar colour palette, and thought using my (fairly distinctive) brass recipe on the shoulder pads would make it obvious they're all one force.

Isn't the silver trim pretty much the only thing that's different between the World Eaters and Word Bearers colour scheme anyway? Painting it brass instead of silver would then basically just turn them into World Eaters without anything left making them out to be actually just khornate Word Bearers. :huh.:

I specifically meant the Shoulder trim. The rest of the scheme would still bear the Silver trim.

And maybe, but World Eaters are a much brighter red than Word Bearers.

I'd like a recommendation from the Frater hive-mind:

I want to paint my Word Bearers in standard Word Bearer colours, but also tie them into my Khornate stuff. Would making the shoulder trim my brass recipe fit?

gallery_108437_14773_30400.jpg

These are the Sanctified, a warband of Word Bearers that exclusively worship Khorne. They were introduced during the Siege of Vraks books iirc. Painting your marines to look like them would be an easy solution.

Hmm.... That looks like it's almost the exact same scheme as the normal Word Bearers, just with the black shoulder pads flipped to be the gauntlets instead?

Edited by Gederas