What have we got that can deal with TWC?

ServoBadger

I had a fantastic game last night that after six turns went to my opponent by one point. Each of us was ahead at different points and I was trying out some new models I'd just built (Plasma gun HG with a Divination Librarian in a drop pod) and some tactics I'd read about on here (deep striking a LRR - my LRC proxied - using the locator beacon on the pod), and I killed everything my opponent had on the table apart from his Thunderwolves and his Warlord, so this isn't in any way a sour grapes post, but...

What do we have, without allies, that can take TWC with Storm Shields?

After wiping out I think four Grey Hunters squads and their Rhinos, a squad of Wolf Guard Terminators and their drop pod and a squad of Wolf Guard on bikes, I'd lost three attack bikes, one assault terminator and a plasma gunner from the HG who, on arrival, rolled a one to hit, then a one for his prescience reroll, then failed both his save and his FNP roll.

The rest of my army, which was as far from the TWC as it was reasonably possible to get, then turned its attention to the TWC, who I could not kill. For the loss of one, they crossed the table under Vindicator, assault cannon, flamestorm, plasma, melta and for that matter bolt pistol fire and proceeded to munch first the HG and Librarian, then the Vindicator, then an entire squad of assault marines complete with SP. Had the game not ended I'm reasonably sure they'd have successfully munched everything else too.

I also play Dark Eldar so I'm well aware that TWC can, in fact, die - about three Venoms and two shooting phases usually does the trick - but what have the Blood Angels got that's a decent counter to them?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dreadnoughts with bashy fists (bloodfists) work very well.  They're still getting their 3++, but for every fail, its a model dead.  Mephy is also a decent option with Force, but, will also go down without nice biomancy powers - especially if they roll well.

Beyond that, thats pretty much it, hey. Vindicators are the other 2x S things.  

but what have the Blood Angels got that's a decent counter to them?

DC on the charge, worth it if you already have a LRR. When you have good invuls on a unit you force a lot of regular saves, they'll still fail a third of them. 

10 DC (without any power weapons) with rerolls from a chap (Are TWC WS 5 or 4?) should do about 9 unsaved wounds, disregarding the chaplain and any shooting. Not enough to wipe a full size unit but enough to break its back or finish off a weakened one. 

Assault Cannons do quite well, as do plasma cannons. The trick is to just drown them in firepower and force them to roll saves. 9 wounds kills a thunderwolf. Act as though the Storm Shields weren't there, is my advice. Anything like that you just want them to waste the points they've spent on the shields. Just make them roll as many dice as possible and watch the 1s and 2s come in. If you run Biomancy librarians, Enfeeble could come in handy. Or any of the buffs, to try and mitigate the incoming damage.

Archived