++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Any advice on what to to equip the lord of change with and how big to go on the daemon units? I want to maintain the Thousand sons (mechanised) as the core of my army, the horrors I was thinking maybe using as backyard campers who occaisionly spawn another unit or just generate power dice for the sorcerers and lord of change.

Just thought I would leave this here.  Seems to be a good place for it.

I have dabbled with the Sons for many moons though have not really given them the attention that they deserves on the paint desk.  I have however painted a few up and I am thinking that I might just spend some more time with them.  To that end I present the Silent Ones, led by Adeodatus, the  Ever Changed.  

My Lord in PIP stages.  He has since been completed.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/gubnutz/Thousand%20Sons/AhrimanPiP.jpg

As he stand now

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/gubnutz/AhrimanFront.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/gubnutz/Thousand%20Sons/ArhrmanPiPRear.jpg

He who Blurs LOL

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/gubnutz/Squad1Front.jpg

Upcoming addition Adelais, the once Noble

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/gubnutz/Thousand%20Sons/FWDread1WIP.jpg

Gub

Any advice on what to to equip the lord of change with and how big to go on the daemon units? I want to maintain the Thousand sons (mechanised) as the core of my army, the horrors I was thinking maybe using as backyard campers who occaisionly spawn another unit or just generate power dice for the sorcerers and lord of change.

Lord of Change works good as lvl 3 psyker, 2 greater and 1 lesser gift. The lesser is the "primaris" staff and the greater hopefully defensive rolls, he'll be hard to shift with that. Some horrors for warp charges and objective camping, and screamers as quick and lethal objective-grabbers, tank-bustas!

I usually goes with a herald on a disc with my screamers though, for the cheapness. 3 lvls is pretty neat, and with the book it's an extremely solid unit...

Has anyone had any luck with Telepathy on sorcerers in 7th? It was fun last edition, but looking at the new one, 1-4 on it are pretty useless for a Thousand sons army or unlikely to work due to how most units either have high leadership or ways to ignore it, with really the primaris and invisibility being the best.
I admit I've just used nothing but Biomancy or santic daemonolgy in 7th due to the range of buffs and decent witchfires throughout the lores, but I'm thinkiong of trying a termi sorcerer with a terminator squad either deepstriking or in a land raider, and was thinking maybe pyromancy or Telepathy instead biomancy (As he would be a second sorcerer I'd proberbly not take the dead weight mark of tzeentch on him, thinking just termi armour, power axe and force sword and the spell familar).

I started using a 497 pts allied detachment with great success recently: four lvl 3 heralds of Tzeentch as 1 HQ choice, and one unit of 13 horrors for troops. That's 14 warp charges each turn, and an almost guaranteed two extra units of daemons per turn. :tu: 

What is a Thousand Sons marine? 

A Thousand Sons marine is an astartes that has a sworn allegience to a Thousand Sons warband. They are not exclusive to rubrics or sorcerers, but other atsartes as well, with or without Thousand Sons geneseed.

Renegades and traitors are everywhere in the eye and are looking for purpose and war. Rubrics make good bodyguards/temple guards, but there are other needs of a warband that daemonic servants or thralls cannot deal with.

Warrior first. Sage second. Seeker of Knowledge. A Light in the Dark - be it the spark that ignities your pyre or the beacon of hope. Lost. Betrayed. Son of the Crimson King. Traveler on the Great Ocean. Gifted. Cursed.

A son of  Sundered land, one who has experienced the most horrifying downfall as they still desired to be loyal to their emperor. Sons of a failure of a father and leader, embittered yet hopeful, eternal yet in flux, the sorcerers and ruberics are two sides of the same coin, bearers of a thirst for vengeance, that if ever quentched will only leave a sour taste at the waste, the loss and sorrow that has engulfed the legion and mankind.

It's to be trapped in your armour, the qualities most praised in your legion burnt away from you, enslaved and reliant on your sorcerous brothers to do the most meager of tasks, to be fully consious for eternity, yet with out free will in any form or any mode of expression.

• 5 weeks later...

Question. Let's say that I want to replicate the pre-heresy color scheme on a batch of chaos space marines, how would I go about it. 

Here is what troubles me:

- Bone or Brass armor trim

- Khorne Red or Mephiston Red

- Agrax Eartshade or Carroburg Crimson

- Red or black weapon casing

- Blue or white cloth

- Orouboros or the Sun

And to help us brainstorming better...

It depends on the fluff reasons for them still fighting in the old colours and such really, though I'd for for bone/white grey (maybe marble?) trim, Mephistion red, mix of gold and grey/white weapon casing proberbly blue cloth same as your rubricae, reckon it would look good on chaos marines if you used the FW emperor's children helmets on them...
I may try that instead of my mongrel support squads :P

@RPR

The reason why I want them to have the original scheme is simply because I really like their Crusade era heraldry. In terms of background we know that only a section of the legion was transformed (repainted with magic) by Ahriman and that is explained in the first book of his series Ahriman: The Exile. In my own fanfiction the warband is a shattered remnant of a company, finding itself with its warriors now in dust tombs, his few remaining sorcerers empowered but also at their most vulnerable and with a powerful battlecruiser which not only is short on crew but after the bitter clashes on Sortiarius, damaged and in dire need for repair. They are XVth legion to the core, only that the core is a pale reflection of the glorious past. They cling to the old ideals and colors, partly since those is one of the few things which remained unchanged, and partly because their commander believes that it is the duty of the survivors from the Rubic to rebuild and return. The legion is shattered, it is now at its most vulnerable but also at the peak of its sorcerous powers, the warband is just pragmatic and strive to continue with their wrecked existence despite the odds.

In terms of colors I wonder if the red is indeed the Mephiston Red or is the carmine Khorne Red which is conflicting in the official artwork and due to me liking both colors. My idea was to use the Crimson Slaughter painting scheme and simply paint some bone, white and brass spread across the models to make them individuals. 

Since my core are Chaos Space Marines and the aim of the warband is to first and foremost rebuild, and second to escape the fate of so many lingering Thousand Sons warbands, I think that the old heraldry would be passed onto the new warriors as a totem to connect the warband's past with the future, a statement of hope, if of nothing else, delusion maybe. Still they know that the XVth was destroyed on Prospero so they wear the Ouroboros as their armorial icon, an icon of eternity, endurance and perhaps allegiance to Magnus. 

In terms of allegiance the warband fought alongside the likes of Ahriman, Amon and the others but it never integrated with them, considering their elder brothers and their schemes as a deterrent to the Thousand Sons legion. Mind, my warband is not a great host, it has a fifty or so Rubicae and the rest are Chaos Space Marines, Cultists and the others, but they are still loyal to their kin, a reason why they do participate to the major conflicts which see the Thousand Sons warbands waging war, they even side with the likes of the Black Legion and Word Bearers, knowing the first to shelter many of their brothers and the second legion to be one of their oldest allies, but again they do not commit. At best my warband actions could be described, as pragmatic, guarded and distant, some would say even delusional. 

Long story short the old scheme should be the norm, with my Chaos Lord and his Cabal of Sorcerers being Prospero-born, but the irony is that they are simply the thin red line amidst a tide of cultists, new fleshforged chaos marines, daemonic entities and daemonic engines, all bearing the old heraldic colors, though it is hard to tell if in mockery or in tribute to an old ideal. It certainly appears both. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFLhyJXqNQ

I have read and re-read A Thousand Sons several times and still it is my favorite book of the HH series. I am reading it again, now with the bookmarking tool on my tablet. Let's just say that I am at the fifth page of bookmarks. When I will collate and order them you will see many, many subtle things and information about the Thousand Sons. There are little gems of knowledge spread across the book. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Fellow Sons! I am new around here but I assure you not new to Chaos! Tsons were my very first army that got me into the hobby many moons ago so I have recently took a real from my Xenos Campaign and have begun putting together what I hope will be a very large Thousand Sons Force.

The Chapter that I had when I began was the 'Sons of Dust' so I think I would like to carry on with that scheme. I have begun a blog about my progress here.

I have never been a fan of doing any back story or get into the "fluff" but I am thinking I may give it a go so hopefully with the assistance of some of you vets I can get some guidance on that front!

Cheers!

Greetings! Thousand Sons is the coolest legion after all, who cares if we got the weakest rules, they are awesome anyway! :smile.:

To get you started with fluff, have you read the Ahriman trilogy about what he has been up to after the rubric, and A Thousand Sons from the heresy?

Archived