++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Thinking 30k Roto cannons could be a usefull basis for refitting old Rubricae to have the new cannon option?
Anyone else got the problem of wondering how they will use the new Rubricae and their old ones? :P

Prices sting, but the Scareb Occult look awesome, may have to ask for them for christmas.

All my squads were 9 man, meaning i can either add the 10th with the reaper, if I want to pay 53pts for those 4 additional shots...

Really looking forward to the scarabs, 2 heavy weapons per unit is tasty. Fishing for endurance on them will be nasty for the 4+ fnp and it will not die...

We, the Hidden Sons, the last disciples of Amon, have returned to again serve our father. We tried to rebuild our Legion on the distant world of Boros but we were discovered. The cursed Warbeast chapter have ravaged our newly pledged homeworld and unmade all of our efforts. We bleed but they will die. Stranded amidst the horrors of the Warp, the joined the chosen known as Abaddon. To become a part of the Black Legion means to abandon all ties to our Legion. We did that gladly as we once felt disgust about our bigotten father, who had lost his soul to the changer of fates.

But nevertheless, revenge still burned in our veins. When Magnus the Red called out for his sons for an all out attack on Fenris, we headed his call. Now, at our brothers side, we joined the invasion of Fenris. These lapdogs will pay for Prospero. Even if we have to endure his presence, we will burn this world. For Tizca! For Prospero! For the Legion!

------

Setech Ek'mar, leader of the warband known as the Hidden Sons, Magister Templi of the Raptora cult

With the recent release of Wrath of Magnus, I'm finally able to really work on a Thousand Sons warband. Do you have it as well? What do you think of it fluffwise?

All my squads were 9 man, meaning i can either add the 10th with the reaper, if I want to pay 53pts for those 4 additional shots...

Really looking forward to the scarabs, 2 heavy weapons per unit is tasty. Fishing for endurance on them will be nasty for the 4+ fnp and it will not die...

Try 4 per 10 ;-) + Sorcerer. 550 for the squad, but very worth it IMO. 

Its a great unit, just VERY expensive points wise, but luckily our resilience is literally identical to that of hammer-nators, and we have great firepower at range. If the Occult sorcerer happens to get great spells for supporting its just gravy, he will have firestorm to help with mobs + whatever tzeentch spell he rolls + a spell from a given lore (leaning biomancy or one of the new lores myself) 

Question for any Mod of the chaos forum; (or anyone here who just knows), If I were to do a Chaos tactica just for the Thousand sons, a really long in depth look at our new units and the Grand Coven along with our traitor legion rules.... I am presuming I should be making a new thread for it?  

I wouldnt presume posting it here would be a good idea. I was hoping to make a new thread just for the Grand Coven. 

If you want to make a tactica with a specific legion in mind then yes, a new thread would be good to keep it easily searchable and findable. We can even add it to the resource post, that we need to update at some point, to make it more easily accessible.

Will say, the 1KSons have certainly dragged me in with your magic and fires of Tzeench and MAGNUS THE FREAKIN' RED IN PLASTC!

Just waiting for 30k to see how much of a... Unified force I could make.

Rubrics are the obvious shortcoming with the heavy weapons being nigh useless and the flamers having the Dreaded warpflame rule relegating them to useless on anything they won't wipe out.

Scarabs, Sorcs, Tzangor though are all winners in my eyes and Arhiman using his warlord trait with Magnus in tow will be exceptional.

Only thing I found disappointing is the unit costs (well known issue) that stops you taking a War Cabal and a Coven in the same list under 2K which is a shame. Hopefully it'll change because I really want to get stuck into that

Just a very quick, generic question here:

Do you guys think 1Ksons can be 'mid tier' / okay in competitive games without Magnus and Daemons (outside of this codex)? I'm just curious if you can actually get away with using the actual units in the codex without going to Magnus and still have some fun against some of the tougher stuff out there.

Anyone else thinking the jump grimore could be nice on aterminator unit with heavy warpflamer?

Or more precisely a unit of rubrics with their flamers. That's all kinds of pain

Do you guys think 1Ksons can be 'mid tier' / okay in competitive games without Magnus and Daemons (outside of this codex)? I'm just curious if you can actually get away with using the actual units in the codex without going to Magnus and still have some fun against some of the tougher stuff out there.

If the right combination of relics were used yes. Very tricky though and would depend heavily on the army being played against

I'll go out on a limb and say no, but only barely. There are some very powerful combos in the base Sons list, usually involving a HQ and some Terminators to whip up some infiltrating/jumping/FnP/3++ shenanigans, but said tricks are very expensive, and the unsupported elements of the army are fairly mediocre. I think the best pure Sons list going forwards is a supported Termie deathstar, with some auxiliary vehicles to taste and Tzaangors for bodies (though their inherent Ld issues makes me a little wary of relying on them for objective-holding, and they aren't that​ cheap for a unit that can bolt).

All this said, I really wouldn't shy away from Magnus or a smattering of Daemons, I think they can really take the army up a peg without being abusive. I think there's very few real grounds for complaint against Magnus considering he's part of an otherwise-unstellar core list and Tzeentch Daemons make for the fluffiest alliance there is.

The flamers are a trap... 7 points for a S4 AP4 Flamer that can give your opponent FNP?

Potential for them to be great if you can wipe out a unit in one go but otherwise some problems can occur against anything that survives - especially if they already have FNP.

Generally I would say yes.  It of course depends on your opponents level of "Try hard" but I think they would be fine. 

Easy access to T5 terminators that have the most gun options in the game, Tzaangors are overall pretty fantastic (Cultist +1) and a psychic phase that just kinda wrecks house. 

Combine this with the auxiliary formations and youve got a solid list. The thing thats sad is the Basic Rubricae outside of War Cabal are very weak. They are elite spot-removal infantry....that die like marines and have a 60 point sargent. (the issue for rubricae Isnt there stats or gear, frankly those are fantastic. Its their base cost)  

Scarab occult dont have those issues. the sargents well costed to be in line with the unit. 

The flamers are a trap... 7 points for a S4 AP4 Flamer that can give your opponent FNP?

Potential for them to be great if you can wipe out a unit in one go but otherwise some problems can occur against anything that survives - especially if they already have FNP.

Right I think making two changes to the flamer would make it better. AP3 and swap with the bolter for free. As it stands you pay for a strictly worse gun.

I think the army has potential of being competitive, but those list won't include Rubrics or SO Terminators. I think you'll find most competetive lists will include to elements; first, Magnus the Red (either as the LOW choice in a CAD or Rehati war sect to harness warp charges on a 3+) and a CAD with a basic sorcerer with 2 cultists, maybe Tzaangors if you want to be fluffy. It will come down to two playstyles summon spam and TS stylized cabalstar. You could probably fit in a renegade Knight double gatling cannons and a twin icarus cannon for AA.

If you are building the list around Magnus I would definitely try and fit in Tzeentch demons for the grimoire of true names and make Magnus even more of a beast.

One last thought, a Chaos knight with demon knight of tzeentch although not the dakka king like renegade knights also benefit from cursed earth and grimoire of true names.

So....

CAD

-sorcerer

-2x cultists/Tzaangors

-LOW Chaos demon knight of Tzeentch

Rehati War Sect

-Magnus

-E. Sorcerer x3

Roll Malefic daemonology? Profit? Punch in the face?

As it is GW could have dropped the "Favored of Tzeentch" rule. In games of 1850 it will never be relevant. Even if you go up to 2000p. And who actually plays 3000p games? Why not simply give all units with VOTLW re-rollable INVUL saves of 1 for free? That would have helped. I don't think that a re-rollable 2+ armor save should be allowed or possible, or a 2++ for the matter. Invul saves should be capped at 3 though all codices.

The real problem with the favour of Tzeench is that it is a very powerful and desireable rule, that has been made into a fluff-fest (nine units) for literally NO reason. It's certainly not balance.... As the other gods all have a unit like it with 6/7/8 units req'd as standard.

The Rehati should have it as a baseline if you included Magnus, to represent him bringing his ultimate core force of chosen warrior elite bodyguard. 

As it is GW could have dropped the "Favored of Tzeentch" rule. In games of 1850 it will never be relevant. Even if you go up to 2000p. And who actually plays 3000p games?

Actually, if you're fielding a War Cabal, taking a sorcerer, then 3 more sorcerers, 3 squads of Rubrics, and 3 squads of Scarabs, will activate Favoured of Tzeentch.  and that's exactly 1500pts before taking any option wargear or increasing the model count in the squads whatsoever. 

Anyone who prefers to play MSU lists can easily get those rerolls with a few wargear options in there in not only a 1850, but even in 1750 lists.

Was it already known that Ahriman was able to project his spirit into the Black Library prior to the events of Wrath of Magnus?

Or is it something completely new?

As it is GW could have dropped the "Favored of Tzeentch" rule. In games of 1850 it will never be relevant. Even if you go up to 2000p. And who actually plays 3000p games?

Actually, if you're fielding a War Cabal, taking a sorcerer, then 3 more sorcerers, 3 squads of Rubrics, and 3 squads of Scarabs, will activate Favoured of Tzeentch.  and that's exactly 1500pts before taking any option wargear or increasing the model count in the squads whatsoever. 

Anyone who prefers to play MSU lists can easily get those rerolls with a few wargear options in there in not only a 1850, but even in 1750 lists.

Yeah but the problem is that list just.... Sucks. 34 Marine bodies, even if 15 are TDA doesn't mean jack when looking at a Tau gunline at 1850!

Archived