++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Honestly I did fine....soul reapers and inferno bolters (with liberal application of Smite and warp Flamers when possible) due fairly well against medium to light vehicles. 

I obviously wouldn't trust my Dust bunnies against the likes of a titan or land raider or Russ, but against most things (rhinos, dreads, anything with 10 wounds or less) they do fairly well. The -2 AP really makes alot of the damage stick, and the flamers and soul reapers put out a good amount of damage, slinging smites at nearby tanks helpes immensely from my Exalteds. 

and Magnus of course just wrecks face. 

Also...... Stand by it now, and forever; the Forgefiend in 8th is fantastic. (Within the Context of the Thousand Sons) 

For several of the games I have played in 8th, I took duel hades cannons, and the plasma face. Toss prescience or warp time onto him, and let him unload....he becomes a turret of course, but with each shot from hades having 2 flat damage he can put out incredibly consistent damage on tanks of medium/light varieties, and do okay against heavier vehicles. When needing to move he can of course just move himself, or have a sorcerer hanging near the backfield toss a warp-time onto him for ease of movement while retaining BS. 

In the Thousand Sons list *specifically* I find them to be worth it, Maulerfiends without support are quite good, but within a Thousand Sons list specifically the Forge fiend is truly a magnificent little beast.  Toss Prescience on him, and let him blow stuff away with far more shots then a dread can output (albeit for more points) and far more wounds. with the 5++ (almost always in my case re-rolling 1's for invuls) bringing survivability up by a far margin (basically 40%)  you can expect some returns, I keep seeing them.

Perhaps I am unusually lucky, or I put to much into list synergies, but quite frankly I adore the big buggers. this edition I would ignore the plasma cannons and go straight Hades (with perhaps a plasma face, for what it does the extra D3 shots can be quite useful) and coming in at 211...it doesn't break the bank in a 2000 point game. 

Using the Changeling or Magnus with them makes them even nastier; the -1 to hit them making ANY of the daemon engines live far far longer, and Magnus speaks for himself and his legion with re-rolling hits AND invuls letting the sorcerers bugger off to back up their dusty kin. 

How did you find the exalted sorcerers went? I mean they're obviously superior to regular sorcerers for the points/PL cost but they seem to have lost the utility they brought previously

Definitely superior, the thing I like is that even though we are locked to staves for combat we still output significant damage and threat.  a 5++ re-rolling ones, an easy access smite, and access to 2 of the spells in the lore of hereticus all for a neat 101 (or 135 on disc)  is a good price point for 2+/2+ bs / ws and the +1 wound. 

However I tend to agree with previous statements saying that really, you only need...maybe 2? 3 at the VERY most in big games. beyond that at the moment its just spamming smite. I could see 2-3 in 2000 +, in 1500 2 is fine. and at 1000 1-2. 

While they have *definitely* lost utility they had in previous editions they most certainly carry their weight for their points however they still have......  significant threat, a great command buff, and warp time/prescience are both absolutely fantastic spells.  I don't actually hate the damage spell either, as its essentially going to guarantee 1-2 wounds on something (so you use it against a target that's hard to crack, enemy characters, tanks, walkers, anything super sturdy in a pinch)  As this can target a VISIBLE enemy unit so you may pick your targets. 

All in all for their points cost they are great, just look at their stats. they are effectively a Chaos lord in all stats, different buff, and lacking a few options chaos lords have. but for their points? pretty great IMO.  

Bare in mind Ahriman is effectively "Super Exalted" for 30 points more. Same basic stats, +1 spell cast a turn, +1 to any spell being cast, and base 3 damage per swing with his stave, as opposed to D3 of the exalteds, ironic he became a fantastic duelist this edition, and also great at destroying vehicles lol

I am a bit baffled that no one mentioned this yet. I've said and read it here a couple of times when people complain about the lack of flavour of the armies. The go-to answer was always "wait for the codices to drop!". I know that GW announced that they will release Codices but until yesterday I didn't know (for sure) what would be in them.

So yesterday I was reading through the new rulebook (German version) and on page 175 there is a box talking about Codices and that they contain "Warlord Traits, Relicts, army specific special rules, wargear and force organisation charts". 

To me this is quite significant as I wasn't entirely sure if we will see artefacts coming back. But yeah, there you have it. Once the codices drop we will indeed get a load of fluffy stuff for our armies!

Yeah my initial plan with 8th Ed was to run Ahriman and an ES or a pair of ES and then depending what goodies are in the Imperial Armour Index more Scarab Occult or Daemons. 1 thing I picked up on is that the Scarab Occult Sorcerer is now significantly worse than they were previously, their Smite is a step down on regular sorcerers but they have the benefit of the deep strike and Warp Time is insane on them.

Hopefully the Codex won't be in the pipeline for too long since going from nothing to all the variety of WoM/Traitor Legions back down to bare bones again isn't great.

I purposefully left off 33 points from my list at 2k so I could make use of Magnus' ability....where he through a hilarious round of combat mutated the callidus into a spawn....the spawn then after one more turn beat the Culexus to death with some rubricae. 

I thought you didn't need to use reinforcement points when turning something into a spawn?

I purposefully left off 33 points from my list at 2k so I could make use of Magnus' ability....where he through a hilarious round of combat mutated the callidus into a spawn....the spawn then after one more turn beat the Culexus to death with some rubricae. 

I thought you didn't need to use reinforcement points when turning something into a spawn?

AFAIK Its identical to Age of Sigmar; Every single new model must be paid for in points cost reinforcement points. (I am guessing and was assuming for that game, If i was wrong please someone correct me! lol

@son: were those rubrics in rhinos or walking up the field?

Walking up the field; the inexorably slow walk of death coming for my opponent. We are slow, and dusty....but dang we are good. 

Warp-Time helped immensely. and when you have 20/30/40 Rubricae rolling up the table its incredibly hard to make damage stick.  I didn't realize "how" resilient we are to only recently.  I have had a unit of terminators 5 strong + 2 characters charge into a 12 man rubric unit, they didnt die fully for 3 turns. 

I also by contrast have been charged by SIXTY ork boyz.....against 14 rubrics.....they were still grinding away at the end of the game with 2 models left, the "all is dust" rule is nothing short of wonderful.  I have no issue tossing them in Rhinos, i just didn't for the last few games. Either or is still great, as Rhinos have some very great uses this edition, but 72 points is a hard sell sometimes. 

Some encouraging reading here, especially as I'm starting to look to my Rubrics in the painting queue once again :thumbsup: Is a heavier foot slogging/infantry approach still looking viable for Sons?

Personally I think so. Its strange and somewhat Ironic that the Thousand Sons can do a foot-slogger list...basically as well as a Death Guard list.....I did *not* expect that to be a thing....but it looks that way! 

I know we've had a pre-8th discussion about the 'validity' of Tzeentch Daemons in a Sons list, but has anyone tried out Flamers? They seem very mobile and very well-equipped to deal with hordes while each costing about as much as a (much less mobile) Son with a Warpflamer.

No need to pay for a spawn, as it is not specified, unlike daemon summoning and splitting up horrors.

That was my understanding, if you planned on summoning or splitting in the case of horrors requires that they be a part of your list and paid for. Where as Magnus replaces the old model with a Spawn.

Another important thing: "All Is Dust" only works on armour saves. The German version explicitly states that it only works on armour saves. Quote:

"Addiere 1 zu Rüstungswürfen für Rubric Marines, wenn die Attacke einen Schadenswert von 1 hat."

Rüstungswurf = Armour Save. 

So sadly it seems that we don't get a 4++ against non-overcharged Plasma...

... Your kidding? So not only have we lost any psychic ability, we now have worse invun saves? I'm loving rubrics now but it feels like the army was gutted for it, I mean death guard now have better sorcerers, perils protection, resilience and damage output.
Seriously, each time I start to like 8th another thing comes and just hit's my Tson's army harder.
I know I need to try and be positive, but atm it really feels like anything we can do, DG do far better whilst being cheaper.

Another important thing: "All Is Dust" only works on armour saves. The German version explicitly states that it only works on armour saves. Quote:

"Addiere 1 zu Rüstungswürfen für Rubric Marines, wenn die Attacke einen Schadenswert von 1 hat."

Nah, the german translation shouldn't have primacy over the english one. This isn't the first time a translation is a bit off, hopefully it will be specified in an FAQ. Until then I'll add my All is dust bonus to invuln saves with a clean conscience.

Thats a big negative; The book was first WRITTEN in English, I will not assume a German translation would be somehow magically "more" accurate then the original english version. 

So barring GW saying something on the matter; RAW we still do receive 4++ invuls against D1 weapons with high pen. 

That sounds awesome sir...would love to hear addition insights and situation that gave you trouble.

Situations that gave me trouble; Storm shields. and SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM 

Storm shields with their 3++ really rips into our ability to dole out damage with our high quality shooting, and if taken in plentiful numbers it can be a real annoying thing on the table, thankfully plentiful access to smite helps alot.  

The big one; Everyone here has heard it....Hordes.....Spammed hordes....Dear sweet Lord (of change) we are going to have issues with competent horde lists.  Though I did well against it I was sitting at 90 ork boyz, vs 24 rubrics and 20 tzaangors, it didnt go well that game though the Rubricae lasted for bloody ever they didnt get much accomplished in the way of offense..... 

I've been taking Fateweaver a lot lately...... He is literally 5 lascannons shots in melee loloooololololol\

Oh and hey Prot...

I PAINTED TEN TZAANGORS :biggrin.:

I may not like Forgefiends, but I do love me some Tzaangors. Just keep them well fed. I recommend the grassy plains of Terra (typically Kentucky Blue Grass), and Tau ears. They'll love you forever.

I just need to stop rolling 1s. I had 7 Rubrics in combat with 5 Primaris Marines and I rolled 7 1s when I was looking for the 2+

I LOVE these Thousand Sons dice but I think it's time to swap them out. :wink:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I've stopped using mine they seem to be so bad :P.

Can Rubric spam/rubric heavy forces without Magnus work well?

And has anyone had luck with vindicators or havok launchers on them or rhinos?

Archived