++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

So the 75 Power Level batrep game vs. my pal's Dark Angels army is tomorrow and we can hopefully get a great video for you guys.  

He painted up a Libby, 5 Incessors, 20 Tactical Marines in 2 Rhinos, a Dark Talon, 5 Lascannon Devs, Deathwing Terminators and Deathwing Knights. 

My automatic response is to bring the following, because our last batrep in 7th had me use the Oracles formation along with Sekhmet Conclave

-Ahriman

-Fateweaver

-10 Rubrics w/ 3x Warpflamer and Soulreaper

-10 Rubrics w/ 3x Warpflamer and Soulreaper

-10 Tzaangors w/ Autopistols and Chainswords

-Scarab Occult Terminators w/ Hellfyre Missile Rack

Of course, we want a good game. We want it to be interesting for folks who want a batrep with 2 forces that are fully painted with WYSIWYG and using no Proxies, but we want it to be challenging for each other while showcasing what the armies can do.

My forces available: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335432-archs-thousand-sons/

What do you think would be an appropriate list to take in this situation?

Thanks.

I reckon Thousand Sons will be guaranteed to be getting a new codex sometime this year or the next one it will just be if they will get any new models as well, either way it will be good as a codex will give Thousand Sons everything they are missing like faction psychic powers, traits, artefacts ts and more faction rules which is lacking in the index

I agree, we are lacking flavour atm!

We'll probably get 6 WT, Psychic Powers and Artefacts to choose from. I could imagine that these might include the following in some form:

Warlord Traits

Re-roll morale in X inches from the Warlord.

Add +1 to casting/denying attempts.

Cast/Deny 1 more power.

Extend range of spells by X inches.

???

???

Artefacts

Re-roll failed casting/denying attempts.

Some awesome melee staff.

Take 1 more Psychic Power.

Pick a unit in X inches, that unit may advance and still shoot (without penalty) [this would be the Astral Girmoire]

???

???

Psychic Powers

Buff that adds +1 to the invul rolls of a unit.

Obligatory "pick a unit and deal mortal wounds to it" spell. Maybe with the addition that if it kills the unit, a Spawn is created?

Some Tzeentchy power that does a random amount of S4 AP-1 D1 hits onto a unit.

DOOMBOLT! Probably 18" S8 AP-4 D6 and if it kills a vehicle, the vehicle explodes on a roll of 5+.

???

???

These options all seem valid and reasonable to me, without anything being OP and everything being useful.

Militarum, lol thanks.

Also no mention if it's models, codexes or both. I could see us getting a Harlie style codex though for minis not to sure. The ES kit lends it self to so many possibilities I don't see any new HQs.

Maybe Tzangoors as some have mentioned.

The list is likely fake but.... PLEASE, PLEASE BE TRUE!

What I'm wondering is, GW said that they want to reduce the amount of books you have to bring in order to play your army. But if I want to play a normal game with TSons once they have their codex I would have to bring at least the rulebook and the codex. Now the next question is, will our codex have ALL option that we can take? So Forgefiends, Helbrutes etc.? Because if not then we would also have to take the Index Chaos along. And if we want to take a Contemptor we have to take the Imperial Armour Chaos too!

So we are looking at potential 4 books AGAIN. Meh.

If you have a friendly gaming group, propose coming up with 3 unique Thousand Sons powers.

CV= Casting Value

Flamestorm of Tzeentch CV 6 24" 2D6 S4 AP- D1. Targeted unit does not get the bonus from cover.

Doombolt CV 8 18" S8 AP-4 D6, if the target has the <Vehicle> keyword and is destroyed by this attack, it explodes on a roll of 5+ rather than 6+

Kine Shield  CV 7 12" targeted friendly unit adds +1 to their invulnerable saves until the next psychic phase. If the target unit doesn't have an invulnerable save it gets a 6++.

GW usually never gives FW any mention in their books anyway so if you are wanting their stuff you will always have to buy the book regardless, part of the price I suppose for including such gorgeous models. New powers sound cool though I really hope actual codex psychic powers are more than 3 especially for psychic armies like Thousand Sons so you can have

Multiple psykers casting different powers due to the rule of one than only a couple with the rest spamming smite

Arch, I'd lend you my Helbrute but I'm a country away ;)

Match his list with your elite troops, get some scarabs in there, and your pred. I really don't know why the lord of change does but I have to assume you like him since you seem to see him a lot!

What I'm wondering is, GW said that they want to reduce the amount of books you have to bring in order to play your army. But if I want to play a normal game with TSons once they have their codex I would have to bring at least the rulebook and the codex. Now the next question is, will our codex have ALL option that we can take? So Forgefiends, Helbrutes etc.? Because if not then we would also have to take the Index Chaos along. And if we want to take a Contemptor we have to take the Imperial Armour Chaos too!

So we are looking at potential 4 books AGAIN. Meh.

If you have a friendly gaming group, propose coming up with 3 unique Thousand Sons powers.

CV= Casting Value

Flamestorm of Tzeentch CV 6 24" 2D6 S4 AP- D1. Targeted unit does not get the bonus from cover.

Doombolt CV 8 18" S8 AP-4 D6, if the target has the <Vehicle> keyword and is destroyed by this attack, it explodes on a roll of 5+ rather than 6+

Kine Shield CV 7 12" targeted friendly unit adds +1 to their invulnerable saves until the next psychic phase. If the target unit doesn't have an invulnerable save it gets a 6++.

On the books I can see it go either way. A Harlie style dex with other data sheets for the units that can take 1k sons legion keyword is totally doable and would keep that commitment of few books. Also the traitor legions book can work but GW would benefit with big 4 getting stand alone releases.

How ever if you want a Chaos or Deamons same issue.

Great job on a home brew spell list. That first one seems a great recreation of the primaris power though did u have luck with that in 7th? Mostly miss for me. Maybe less variable on hits and a bit of AP and I am on board. Though I would love mortal wounds creating spawn.

This may seem heresy though I would rather see a treason, mortal spawn creator or statline buff boon rather than an invulnerable buff. I would not hate it either though.

Great spell list Mo!

So in a few weeks I'll be catching up with a mate, and facing his wolves in 2000pts.
This raises the most important question, how do the XV compare to the VI on the table top?
Also, how important are people finding Magnus? My fluff for my Sorcerers has always had them as Ahrimanites, and as much as I love Magnus when you see his better moments, his abandonment of the legion at several points and actions at Prospero mean I don't really want to use him.

Ok, I'm trying to decide between World Eaters and 1k Sons for my 8th ed army.  I love assault armies, however I also love psykers.  I currently play necrons and I'm not sure if I want another psykerless army.  The two legions in question are my two favorite legions, led by my two favorite Primarchs.  

So my question is, are Tzaangors a good enough assault element to fulfill my love for assault?  

Well to be fair there is nothing stopping you from running a dual Khorne, Thousand Sons army since there is no restrictions on army composition apart from having to have the chaos keyword even if fluffwise it's harder explaining why the two would work together without killing each other :D

Ok, I'm trying to decide between World Eaters and 1k Sons for my 8th ed army.  I love assault armies, however I also love psykers.  I currently play necrons and I'm not sure if I want another psykerless army.  The two legions in question are my two favorite legions, led by my two favorite Primarchs.  

So my question is, are Tzaangors a good enough assault element to fulfill my love for assault?  

Tzangors are a decent block, the have 2 attacks each, -1 rend. So you will get 20 attacks per phase with them.  10 berserkers withe chain axes and a chain sword with get you 60 attacks per phase -1 rend.  Tzangors get a 5+ invulnerable save and berserkers have 3+ armour.   Tzangors you need a bit of luck with saves and try to grind down what you are fighting.  With world eaters you are just laughing and foaming at the mouth as you drown opponents in dice rolls. 

I love the Thousand Sons but if you want assault, there is only one legion that will give you that.  Angron, Khârn and the boys are your answer.  I played world eaters a lot in 7th, they are a ton of fun.

Has anyone else tried running Renegade Knights (be it the ones from GW or Forgeworld)? What are your findings on them? Are they useful in 8th now and are they a valid option for us?

On World Eaters vs Thousand Sons, you can't beat the cumulative effect of dual assault phases, Khârn and the other toys, even a landraider. I used to play a lot of KDK and if you use the Khorne keyword you can still use BT's of Insensate Rage, bloodletters, skull crushers etc. (I've made many such lists for 8th)

Thousand sons is leveraging assault to buy time... to change the outcome of the battle with the Psychic phase and not directly engage true damage dealers in assault. Or you can include Magnus, and Bob's your uncle.

--------------------------------------------

On Renegade Knights, I've been looking at them and I personally like the dual battle cannons myself and some of the Forgeworld stuff looks good but frankly my LoW of choice is Magnus.

I have almost lost Magnus in a fairly violent turn vs shooting. I don't know if that can happen to a Knight. I' wonder what the points are for the Knight id use? It would have to be under 415. ;)

I don't own the Magnus model (and I don't want to, he looks so ridiculous with his dirty dancing hairstyle and the nipple horns...). 

However, I do think that a Renegade Knight could be viable. Giving him the Reaper Chainsword, RFBC, Stormspear Rocket Pod and a Melta Gun he clocks in at 516 points. He's very good at eliminating the enemy's tanks, walkers and vehicles with shooting and in melee, he is good against whatever he faces.

I'm pretty sure a Knight isn't the mathhammer champ when it comes to effectiveness as you could just take 3+ Discopreds for less points. But I think that Knights are now at least playable and actually strong - not like last edition where they could be tarpited forever or torn apart easily with haywire etc. 

Archived