++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Ahriman is than a much better choice with 3 powers and a +1 bonus to casting.

i dont think a sorceror that only gets 2 powers without any bonus to casting is worth 120 points.

(i think they only cost this much to prevent people from abusing the character rule or to prevent smite spam.)

Personally i use magnus, ahriman and 2 daemon princes. (Magnus as offensive power caster and ahriman as back-up / buff bot for mid field). 

But i have to say i've only played games with the index. So perhaps now that the table has been expanded sorcerors have a better value for their points.

I suppose if I was to bring both Ahriman and Magnus already, running a deamon prince would probably be more worth it than an exalted then.

@grendaxe: what else do you take and at how many points? That's a lot of points invested in a few models for 8th!

2k games and i also bring a 5-man squad SOT + 1 Helldrake.

Basically i have 3 teams in my game.

1. Shooty squad

1 unit tzaangors, 1 daemon prince and the 2 predators (1 with 4 lascannons and the other one with the predator cannon + 2 lascannons)

2. Objective squad

Ahriman, 2 units of tzaangors and the other daemon prince

3.Wrecking crew

Magnus,Helldrake and terminators

Back line fires at everything heavy (dreadnoughts,tanks,flyers, elites etc).

Objective squad goal is clear i think.

And the wrecking crew (magnus) kills knights or other very dangerous stuff. The terminators and helldrake are basically for the protection of magnus (eating overwatch, drawing smites, keeping enemy units from firing at magnus etc)

I'm doing alright with this but i haven't played that much yet in the 8th edition. Hope this helps :happy.:

EDIT: The idea is also to give the enemy several high priority units. If you just have magnus on the table and everything is just walking across the field its easy to for your opponent to just pump all shots into magnus. You pretty much have to send magnus into the enemy units at the first turn. If you dont he will just shot from a distance. His 18 wounds,T7 and 3+/4++ save will not hold very long because of how massive his model is (can be shot from pretty much anywhere at all times).

This post is forever long. Just curious if anyone knows if it would be possible to field a somewhat decent army with just Thousand Sons space marines. Anyone know?

If you mean no Tzaangors, Cultists, or Daemons, it can be done, yes. Might change if we lose Troop Rubrics in our upcoming Codex.

This post is forever long. Just curious if anyone knows if it would be possible to field a somewhat decent army with just Thousand Sons space marines. Anyone know?

Well your posting in the thread dedicated to TS with multiple TS players posting on a daily basis.  So can you make a decent army yes.  I dont think anyone is going to give a summary of 60 pages so you don't have to read it all.  That being said.  Ahriman and Magnus are both popular but play in vastly different ways they are not interchangeable.  Rubric marines are good, Tzaangors are good.  There is mixed feelings on Scarab Occult basically because they are slow so even if you alpha strike with them the enemy is able to out pace them in the movement phase.  The issue you are going to run into is fielding dedicated AT because of our current restricted unit list.  That being said our best choice of a Chaos Predator tank great choice anyway so not a big issue unless you wanted obliterators or Havocs.  Im in no place to write a tactics thread as I have yet to play a game in 8th.

If you mean no Tzaangors, Cultists, or Daemons, it can be done, yes. Might change if we lose Troop Rubrics in our upcoming Codex.

Yup a lot hinges on the codex.  If Rubrics go to the elites slot I have a feeling that it could majorly change lists among most TS players.  The Death Guard codex with be a good tell.  Personally, I hoping for a stay in the troops slot but get the soulreaper in the 5 man squad like the CSM codex.

That's an interesting list and I appreciated the breakdown of roles you have assigned them all.

What other armies/lists have you been facing?

Mostly elite armies like the grey knights. I think its also the reason i favour the 2 predator combo.

i would love to play with something more thematic/daemonic (Forgefiends/Defiler). This would also build a better volume shots (at medium damage) rather than just titan killers (magnus/lascannons). But the 5+ to hit is just something i cant work with (They mostly have to move because they only get 36'' or 24'' range rather than the 48'' for lascannons) . It just annoys endlessly to try and shoot at something and just keep missing.

Versus armies that have more models i'm thinking of exchanging maybe a predator for something else. But i dont really know with what, maybe a shooty hellbrute. But predators are just so cost effectieve i dont have that many options:wacko.: .

I think this list will have the most problems against horde armies. The limited amount of bolter shots will make it difficult to wade through the units. (Keeping magnus and terminators close together so you can get the 20 bolter shots at 2+ reroll 1 would be a good combo).

On the other hand if i have to believe some of the stories noone can deal with the 100+ conscript armies. I dont really mind losing against that anyway. I get to slaughter a lot and if he bothered to paint all those units it sounds like a fair deal to me :happy.: .

Well your posting in the thread dedicated to TS with multiple TS players posting on a daily basis.  So can you make a decent army yes.  I dont think anyone is going to give a summary of 60 pages so you don't have to read it all.  That being said.  Ahriman and Magnus are both popular but play in vastly different ways they are not interchangeable.  Rubric marines are good, Tzaangors are good.  There is mixed feelings on Scarab Occult basically because they are slow so even if you alpha strike with them the enemy is able to out pace them in the movement phase.  The issue you are going to run into is fielding dedicated AT because of our current restricted unit list.  That being said our best choice of a Chaos Predator tank great choice anyway so not a big issue unless you wanted obliterators or Havocs.  Im in no place to write a tactics thread as I have yet to play a game in 8th.

Yup a lot hinges on the codex.  If Rubrics go to the elites slot I have a feeling that it could majorly change lists among most TS players.  The Death Guard codex with be a good tell.  Personally, I hoping for a stay in the troops slot but get the soulreaper in the 5 man squad like the CSM codex.

Personally i dont like the rubrics. They are too slow and dont pack any punch for their cost (10-man squad = 244p, while terminators are 244p too).

But i'm happy to see that other people can use them. So maybe its just my army setup or the way i play why they arent working out for me.

I'm hoping our codex heavily improves our the psychic power. i dont really feel like i'm playing the most powerful psychic army in 40k. (Usually skip the 1 mortal wound. Too much peril risk).

EDIT: Missread something now removed

I've recently not been enjoying using Rubrics or Scarab Occult, so I changed my list to a daemon Battalion with a Thousand Sons Supreme Command Detachment (Magnus, 2 Exalteds and a Daemon Prince).  Worked well, especially with the extra powers that we've received from the CSM Codex.  I am thinking that I'd be better off with Ahriman though, he's not that many more points and the +1 to casting is really nice.  I'm currently finding it necessary to run the daemon Battalion to a) give me extra bodies in the form of horrors, and b) throw the Changeling into the mix.  It's also been nice to have my 3 Exalted Flamers hitting on 2s with Pink Fire because of the Daemon Prince - who has a surprising amount of synergy with both CSM and Daemons. 

I played this weeks Konor mission last night against a combined Imperium force.  Just as I was about to start the GW manager came around with a special stratagem we can use until the end of the campaign - it allowed me to (for 1 CP!!) cast the same psychic power a second time if I had cast it successfully.  Needless to say I felt a little dirty as in one turn Magnus caused 20 mortal wounds from double smite, and then the rest of the game rocked a 2++, rerolling 1s (Weaver of Fates x2!!).

Wait, I have not seen the new csm dex only heard bits and pieces. Did i just see here that aspiring sorcerers now have access to one spell from DH along with mini smite now? If so this bodes well cor SOTs. This sounds too good to be true though I hope so!

Wait, I have not seen the new csm dex only heard bits and pieces. Did i just see here that aspiring sorcerers now have access to one spell from DH along with mini smite now? If so this bodes well cor SOTs. This sounds too good to be true though I hope so!

Just checked again too be sure and i missread sorry :sweat: ! Guess i was too distracted by the massive plague marine entry

My apologies

I'd be really mad if rubrics could no longer be taken as troops in a Sons list. I've been playing Thousand Sons for 14 years and have never taken another troop choice in any chaos list I've ever made... Thousand sons have always been my first love in 40k (for better or worse!

Cool article to on the community site on how to effectively use auras.

Before I could ask someone in the comments asked about Ahriman and ES on disc and their auras.

GW social media folks said great question and they would pass on to the rules team.

To me that means it will not be addressed until new Dex drops. I think they r playing close and working on a change.

I'm sure it's been asked enough to warrant an FAQ or Errata. They probably won't make an adjustment until the dex drops though to keep the rules in as few places as possible.

The best combo is to have a disc sorc, Magnus, and Changeling. Still get RR 1's and -1 to hit on the Exalted would make a decent survival option. Still a lot of points tied up.

I would probably see the build as a Outrider or Vanguard detachment of TSons, with a Battalion of Daemons for OBSec, and Super Heavy Aux for Magnus. That seems to be where things settle at the moment for discs from my perception.

500-600 points of Dust Bunnies (Rubric and/or SO), Disk Sorc and/or DP, Predators, Big Red, Changeling, Herald, and Horrors. You'd end up with 7 CP and 3 detachments unless you go the summoning route, but you'd lose the mobility while dropping your units in.

I've asked a lot on their Facebook page and got the same answer as you. It's just frustrating. On one hand they are actively trying to fix things but in the other some blatant quirks are left dangling without clarity. Stuff like this is low hanging fruit and should have been grabbed up and fixed a long time ago

I still (months after the fact?) refuse to rip Ahriman apart because I just can't see this being the intent.

For the record I've asked the question during Thousand Sons broadcasts on whTV.

I'm wondering if a rules edit is coming to the RR to include both the Infantry and Cavalry keyword. It'd make sense the most sense, and be the easiest adjustment.

One reason I could see them not adjusting this already would be due to a potential intended release of a Cavalry unit to TSons. Maybe we'll get the Disc Tzaangors from AoS after all?

Before I could ask someone in the comments asked about Ahriman and ES on disc and their auras.

GW social media folks said great question and they would pass on to the rules team.

To me that means it will not be addressed until new Dex drops. I think they r playing close and working on a change.

Damn, I'm still in a time out on the 40k FB page.

Damn, I'm still in a time out on the 40k FB page.

Relic:

Ban Hammer - Strength x4 AP 0 Damage 0 - Replaces a Thunder Hammer. When a character is wounded by the Ban Hammer it must immediately place palm to face and remain censored until the return of the Emperor.

Well I got to play my first game of 8th today and it went incredibly well. My army list consisted of:

Ahriman on disc- I know some people really dont like the disc, but I found the extra movement invaluable!

DP with wings and sword. a pair of talons may have been better, but I have it modeled that way and with the new costs from the codex, the talons aren't THAT much better.

2x 5 man SOT squads with soulreaper and hellfyre launchers

2x 10 man rubric squads with soulreaper cannons in rhinos

1x 7 man squad of rubrics just for the battalion detachment requirements

one pred with autocannon and 2 lascannons

1 heldrake with baleflamer

he was running a beal-tan (sp) type army with 2 squads of dire avengers with asurman, 2 squads of striking scorpions with karandras, a unit of shining spears, a small unit of dark reapers, a fire prism and a doom weaver.

Turn one was pretty uneventful for me except for the part where i flew my heldrake pretty much right into the middle of his army taking out one dark reaper with shooting and a dire avenger or two in melee. On his first turn most of his entire army converged on the heldrake which put them right in rapid fire range of both of my large rubric squads backed up by ahriman and the Daemon prince on my turn two and allowed me to teleport one of my squads of SOT's behind his lines. they proceeded to put the hurt on his avengers and shining spears, and I charged asurman with my Prince who killed asurman in one round of combat. after that it was pretty much walking around kicking serious butt claiming maelstrom objectives (which I was pretty lucky with my rolling on them). his tanks didn't do much, but mine didn't either aside from put some wounds on his fire prism (though it did keep some fire lanes clear of enemy models over the course of the game).

The things I noticed most is how effective smite was at removing models from the table, and how well the threat of deep striking terminators is at keeping his reserves at bay.

Edit: my rhino's were worth their weight in gold for the ability to set up the devastating turn 2 rapid fire that I would have never gotten otherwise.

Has anyone had luck using Chaos contemptors? I recently got a Venerable contemptor with twin lascannon and claw second hand and I'm thinking it could be nice complement to my normal dread hellbrutes and rbing my Tsons more anti tank.

Turns out our contemptors can't take lascannons, for some reason. I asked on their FB page and never got an answer as to why (is it a mistake or intentional).

Archived