@hushrong: They are indeed, very nice kits and quite bulky too, which helps distinguish Chosen and characters from the masses.

@Vairocanum: Thanks! At the moment the head is undecided on, as I'm considering using Imperial corpses instead of Eldar, however the base would be removed and some stringy gore (maybe a spine?) is certainly planned.

Very cool! I love the havocs and assault marine/jump packs they make. They hit chaos on the head with a lot of their sculpts. Their armor and weapons really scream tainted & baroque. I generally avoid third party stuff but theirs is very tempting.

Aye, they certainly have some very nice kits and I would certainly say they are worth the price, as they really make elite units and characters shine. Due to the more upright poses they're a smidge taller than the DV Chosen, but fit in very well with them.

• 1 month later...

This post's a little different today folks, due to issues of convenience back home and not bringing my hobby gear with me to uni, I'm much more of a collector than a gamer, which means I want to focus on the units I like and not what's competitive. To me, this also means that I need to really want the kits to make it worth buying them and investing a fair chunk of what little expendable income student life leaves me with. It's because of this that I've decided to part ways with my small Death Guard collection; they were always just something I made on a whim one day and don't particularly have plans to expand, furthermore, Death Guard seem very much to be the 'flavour of the month' these days, with all the love they're getting from GW and I'd rather have a force that isn't ten a penny (I don't mean that all DG forces are the same, but it's just a common faction to see these days).

I know the board rules prohibit selling, however, I thought I'd just post a few shots of the force here before it goes and let you guys have a look before I put them on eBay, I'd much rather sell them off to a B&C member than someone unknown.

Cataphractii Lord:

med_gallery_71441_10945_80587.jpg

Helbrute:

med_gallery_71441_10945_9124.jpg

Daemon Prince:

med_gallery_71441_10945_52969.jpg

Zombies:

med_gallery_71441_10945_8985.jpg

med_gallery_71441_10945_3111.jpg

Group Shot:

med_gallery_71441_10945_107605.jpg

Obviously if this leans to close to the advertising/selling side, mods just ping me a message!

@Markus_ : Thanks brother, as I say above, student life can be tough on the hobby budget! It is also a worthwhile experiment in it's own right too, you can make some pretty good stuff if you put your mind to it whilst picking up some new skills on the way.

Thanks for your time folks.

Bummer to hear the DG are on the sell floor. Do hope you find them a good home.

I am looking forward to future projects. I had always wanted to build and paint an army and just be done with it so I could work on smaller, more detailed projects. Always thought it would be great to sit down and pour a ton of effort into a a handful or a single mini. Any idea what you would want for your next project?

Thanks man, it would be nice to get a small force to the 'complete' stage, though I think we all know that never seems to exist in this hobby...

At the minute, I think I'll just be focussing on the Warriors of Mayhem and loyalists, though I'm considering rebooting both forces in various ways. For the Slaanesh worshiping renegades I'm thinking of either converting the new Rubricae kits or messing around with the various Primaris kits, to get a sleeker, better proportioned force, alternatively I could just tune up my greenstuff skills on the older kits to bring them more in line with my mental image. The loyalists, on the other hand, could, possibly, be facing a repaint, as although I don't game much, the idea of using the Heresy ruleset with non-legion forces seems off to me, though this idea is only a consideration as I rather like my Gordian Sons' paints cheme.

• 3 weeks later...

Now then folks, as I'm home again, having finished up work and uni for the season, I've been starting to ease back into the hobby by getting some paint on the first scratch-raider from all those moons ago:

Side:

med_gallery_71441_9972_25717.jpg

Front:

med_gallery_71441_9972_63560.jpg

Obviously there's a complete lack of detailing and weaponry, but it's a start. Next task is to get some weathering, highlighting and, hopefully, freehand on there.

Thanks for the kind words brothers, you're very close with the Emperor's Children Bjorn; the Raider's for my Slaanesh warband the Warriors of Mayhem.

Just finished a very nerve-wracking first bit of freehand and I must say, I'm rather chuffed with what I've got:

med_gallery_71441_9972_40183.jpg

The Slaanesh sigil on the left is for the front of the Raider.

Thanks for looking folks.

Don't worry too much about freehanding symbols for the Emperor's Children Land Raider. Chaos Space Marines worship Chaos; if the Chaos Gods expected everything to be neat and tidy, then they won't be Chaos Gods.

The moment to be nervous about your freehand Chapter symbols are properly done, is when you scratchbuild an Ultramarines Land Raider.

• 2 weeks later...

Now then folks, time for a game of spot the difference:

med_gallery_71441_9958_7857.jpg

I'm really quite pleased with this pod, it was a great template to work with in terms of detailing, however there were a few ambiguous sections (hence the holes at the bottom). Might toss an aquila on there at some point so that the collection matches:

med_gallery_71441_9958_66897.jpg

The dread-pod in the middle does look a lot more basic, though the FW kit does appear a lot less detailed than a standard pod, so hopefully the discrepancies aren't too bad.

I've also managed to finish the champion whilst tackling the ever growing backlog:

med_gallery_71441_9958_1961.jpg

@Bjorn Firewalker - Haha, you do have a good point there, though if any of the Gods care for neatness it would be the Dark Prince! I do have some Raiders earmarked for my loyalists but they'll be painted way down the line, so I'll have had plenty (I hope) of practice by then.

Now then folks, I'm calling the Chaos Raider quasi-finished; weathering is still needed, as is a fair bit of decoration/detailing, however I'm still musing over where my force is based and therefore what weathering would be appropriate. As for the decorations/details, I've been inspired by several board-members (Insane Psychopath primarily) with their matching of details/trophies to past games. Therefore, the Raider will receive trophies and adornments once its earned them in the fires of battle.

Anywho, here it is at the minute:

gallery_71441_9972_11298.jpg

gallery_71441_9972_2499.jpg

med_gallery_71441_9972_29483.jpg

Might add additional black detailing to the bottom of the middle panel of this sponson.

med_gallery_71441_9972_35773.jpg

This sponson will be draped with either flayed and tattooed skin, or a torn and despoiled enemy banner.

med_gallery_71441_9972_28066.jpg

Size comparison with my loyalist Champion and accompanying Dreadnought.

Aspiration

We seek perfection.

We seek mastery.

bc9900dfef7d9a1cf788ff01ab45acc7.jpg

Every foe lies dead at my feet

The mortal plane is ours.

Only the warp remains.

gallery_71441_9972_23453.jpg

The Daemon will be bound unto our bodies.

Our blood and bones its cage.

Our mind and soul its jailer.

med_gallery_71441_9972_41193.jpg

He will fight for mastery, for perfection.

If we triumph, we will be Exulted.

If we fail, we will be Broken.

So this is what I've come up with playing with those new-fangled Primaris, they certainly have the height and bulk required.

Thanks for the comments brothers, I'm hoping it'll look even better when further detailed!

*Little disclaimer, those first two images are completely stolen from Pinterest and (sadly) not my work.*

I feel it coursing through my veins.

Such strength.

Such power.

gallery_71441_9972_72698.jpg

The esoteric guns of the Kakophoni unleash screams that tear through the air.

We stride through our former brothers, though they seems as infants in stature now.

med_gallery_71441_9972_41557.jpg

Thanks for the comments folks, this is a project I'm pretty happy with, though it's barely been realised as I've had to leave the hobby to the side as I return to uni once more. There are a few more aspirants left to come but for the moment I'll leave you this comparison with a recently built noise marine.

@Bjorn I think your certainly right there, I doubt any other warrior would be so foolhardy to even contemplate such a feat. Thanks for the compliment on the writing, it's something I want to focus on more, especially when I'm not at home to paint and convert.

@Hushrong Cheers brother, I'm pretty satisfied with how much I've altered the stock model so it's good to hear it doesn't scream Primaris still.

We thought ourselves masters, lords of all.

But the power of the daemon.

It claws at the soul.

med_gallery_71441_9972_33067.jpg

My soul remains inviolate, my mind my own.

But my body, my armour, they are one.

I am the blades, the blades are...

med_gallery_71441_9972_915.jpg

Archived