I like it the way it is. I even like that there are six pointed bits representing Slaanesh's sacred number :wink:. If you want more eagle like heads I am sure there are enough loyalist icons to pilfer for that!  Also, with the way you have the imaged chopped together at the moment it looks faintly reminiscent of a skull too. Two eyes under the 'heads', that black bit in the center the nose. I wonder if you could touch it up on the bottom to look like an upper jaw.

And the Helbrute looks swol! The 2.0 version is a much improved look!

Cheers buddy, I hadn't noticed the skull aspect, but now you've mentioned it, it really stands out. I'm really quite happy with the icon, but I might try see if I can make the bottom look more jaw like. I was recommended Gimp as a good editing software.

Aye, I'm definitely much happier with the new arms and weapons, just need to sort them out for the second Contemptor and start on the chassis ornamentation and finish painting my Kakophoni and Nihlus and all the other bits and bobs I keep starting at once...

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst waiting for paint to dry and greenstuff to cure on the Contemptors (which are nearing completion), I've been squirreling away at the relaunch of my loyalist efforts and beloved scratch-building:

med_gallery_71441_14877_5057.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_15302.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_14520.jpg

And some comparisons with a genuine article:

med_gallery_71441_14877_41550.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_28654.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_39139.jpg

Please forgive the wall of images, but I'm rather pleased with how well the Rhino's come out. As can be seen by the door icon, I'm about to launch into 30k Iron Hands! I'm just finishing my first painted troopers and will then be working on some fluff to kick off a log.

@hushrong - The Kakophoni are finally all painted up and are just awaiting the fresh morning light for their photo shoot.

Looking forward to seeing the glamor shots of the Kakophoni!

The rhino is also sweet! Is it mostly thick board? And Iron Hands to boot! Going to be some tension on your log here with those two legions together!

med_gallery_71441_9972_28947.jpg

Arios slammed against the collapsed column, chips of marble spraying out as his armoured bulk fractured the stone. Slotting another clip into his bolt pistol he consulted the data streaming down his helmet display, noting the positions and vital signs of his cohort; four of his men had sustained minor injuries, whilst he and Karas both remained unscathed. A furhter cascade of marble fragments heralded the arrival of Tumbias, his ribcage had, over the centuries, bonded fully with his armour and expanded to enclose his torso completely, the ivory bone was coated in a thick sheen of sticky red blood.

med_gallery_71441_9972_4384.jpg

Tumbias

Nodding once to his Reaver, Tumbias rose to his feet and fired off several pulses from his daemon-faced sonic weapon; masonry shattered and weak human forms flopped to the floor, organs rupturing and limbs spasming. Drawing a slender blade, he hurdled the the column and descended upon the mewling mortals who still lived.

New Kakophoni update down in the Blades' thread, the first cohort is partially updated and some narrative is there with them, the above is just a snippet.

@hushrong - Thanks, the super-structure is all just cereal box card, so only very thin. There's obviously a couple of plastic parts and then scores of tiny greenstuff rivets which nearly drove me insane whilst applying - superglue is a true horror! Ever since I encountered the Iron Tenth in the Heresy stories, I found them very appealing and reading their entry in Massacre just confirmed my feelings; they're just how Astartes should be - brutal, lethal and uncaring. There's also a lot of scope for their development post-Isstvan as they all seem to go berserk and splinter. It certainly is an interesting coincidence that my two forces are now the IIIrd and Iron Tenth...

As I said in the Blade's thread, great update!

You did good on that rhino! I really think you need to get into plasticard and start your own forgeworld! I wonder if it would be easier to build all those sweet FW tanks from scratch and be easier on the wallet for 30k.

I also think you choose very wisely with starting the Iron Tenth. If I had to choose a 40k chapter to do they'd be my first choice on the list. I cannot believe it has taken me this long to really appreciate their background. I've read about them in a few of the novels but after reading some more: WOW. They are a brutal lot.

As for having III and X forces that can make for some great, intertwining fluff between your forces if you wish.

med_gallery_71441_9972_73347.jpg

First Cohort Kakophoni.

med_gallery_71441_9972_44313.jpg

Lerio, Toji and Tumbias.

med_gallery_71441_9972_56709.jpg

Arios, Karas and Mithra.

Group shots of the First Cohort are now up, as are some more individual shots and some fluff down on the other thread. I'm pretty happy with these fellas as I tried actually highlighting and some freehand. I still need to practise finer control with the brush, however I can already see improvements since my first attempts. I feel the energy effects on Arios' blade came out quite well too. Once I've written some fluff for them, Second Cohort will also be getting some photos posted.

@hushrong - You've convinced me now, I'll try pick up some plasticard for bases and tank building soon; I'd really love a trio of Malcadors to pummel the enemy running Head of the Gorgon and scratch building is the only chance of that happening! Luckily there are some amazing templates out there, mostly by the brilliant Eli Patoroch. As for the Iron Tenth, it was the exemplary battle description in Massacre that just sealed the deal; practically sacrificing the Ultramarines to secure a breachhead before smashing through with Land Raiders jammed with Breachers and Gorgons whilst Caestus(es?) smash through the enemy from above...:wub:

med_gallery_71441_9972_15393.jpg

An ululating scream rent the air, forcing the warriors of the First Cohort to grimace in discomfort, even as the Sororitas dropped to their knees, hands clamped over their ears as their armours' audio dampeners overloaded. A purple clad giant launched himself through the air and into the midst of the reeling Battle Sisters, executing one with a single bolt round to the head, whilst slamming another against the delicately filigreed wall, pale gold turned sticky red. Kaliek of the Second Cohort triggered his back mounted sonic array once more, shattering the eye lenses of the surrounding shrine-guardians and exploding heads in a gory display of aural power.

med_gallery_71441_9972_4014.jpg

Kaliek 'Aelf-Bane' Reaver of the Second Cohort Kakophoni.

Beginnings of Second Cohort's fluff and shots are down in their thread. Group shots should be up tomorrow, followed by Nihlus and a Sorceror. The Contemptors are now undergoing decorations, as the majority of the magnetisation of arms and weapons is done. After all that, I'm really keen on making some more Aspirants, a squad of six with an icon and Apostle seem like they'll ruin the day for any Imperial dogs they encounter...

@SystemSyn - Thank you very much, from you that means a great deal! I'm a huge fan of your take on the followers of Slaanesh.

med_gallery_71441_9972_53858.jpg

Second Cohort Kakophoni.

med_gallery_71441_9972_3732.jpg

Croesus, Isidor and Kaliek.

med_gallery_71441_9972_35511.jpg

Thrraj, Abbas and Siravan.

And the Second Cohort is complete with fluff down in the Chaos thread. I'm rather chuffed with the two Cohorts, an army built around a solid core of Noise Marines has been my goal since I started this force and it's only now becoming a reality, but one matching the image I built in my head almost exactly.

Cheers hushrong it's good to have them all done, not much progress made in the past day, was a bit lacking in motivation, think after the next couple of bits and pieces are done, the Iron Hands will take precedence over the Warband, which leads to these:

med_gallery_71441_14877_45905.jpg

After receiving some nicely based figures of eBay, I started to think about how I base my own models. I'm fairly happy with the checkerboard for my Slaaneshi force (though I'm looking into plasticard and gloss varnish to improve it), however my loyalists have always been a bit paltry on the basing side. After messing with some cork, PVA and Army Painter razor wire, I've made this trio, which I'm pretty pleased with. Black spray with some liberal dry-brushing should give an urban/blasted tundra look.

Really enjoying working on these bases, it's always refreshing doing something new and different. I'm going for the Sons of Horus as the scattered armour plates, hopefully the splash of colour will prevent the bases and Iron hands becoming a wall of grey/iron.

med_gallery_71441_14877_14576.jpg

Base Progress.

• 3 months later...

Well then folks, I'll be back home within the week for a short Christmas break from the studies. Though I've not been actively hobbying, my hobby eBaying has certainly been... Amongst many other things, I picked up some twenty-five Primaris (for the excellent price of

@CardinalVirtue Yes! The quartered scheme is a challenge that looks much more achievable on the larger size of the Primaris, it is perhaps what draws me to the Griffons too. The 'clean' look of the Novamarines is a big draw.

@ToyShip I'd never thought much of the more 'garish' schemes, however that more subdued art piece really swayed me towards the red and yellow of the Griffons, I like the heraldry of the griffon rampant too. I knew one of the firey chapters became the Damned, though I'd forgotten which, perhaps that explains their scarcity...

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year, folks!

Well I have decided to go for a small Novamarine strikeforce, it was a difficult choice (there are so many great schemes and chapters out there) but it was the Novamarines that I was initially drawn to and the pallette is very different to my current two armies. I think I will probably do a similar mini-project in the future (Howling Griffons scream for flamer armed assault marines and Aggressors...) so it is likely that the chapters that were suggested will see an attempt at some point.

As is usual with me, I didn't have time to finish building the Primaris before leaving home again, so you will have to wait til Summer before this project comes to fruition, likewise with my other plans/hobby resolutions for 2019:

> Build and paint a Novamarines Strikeforce.

> Build and paint warbands for each of the four chaos gods.

> Bring my built and painted Iron Hands up to 3000pts.

> Bring my built and painted Warriors of Mayhem up to 3000pts.

> Post my building/painting progress on the forum (and Instagram) at least once a week.

> Get more games in!

These goals should help expand my hobby skills, whilst giving me large enough forces to get some good games in. The community is a huge motivator, so posting my stuff up frequently will help keep me on track and hopefully provide some useful advice too.

@Eldrick Shadowblade - Yes, I was thinking of using shades and inks over a metal base, similar to some of the Word Bearer recipes; or the Word Bearer scheme done by WarhammerTV in their advent calendar of tips from a while back.

@AHorriblePerson - Certainly isn't one I've seen much of, if at all; the flames would give me some good practice too. Good point regarding the chapter being reborn as Primaris.

Archived