Wolf Lord riding a.....

Fenrisian Elk, now hear me out. See, I bought an archaon model a loooong time ago, expecting to use him as a mounted chaos lord (but chaos doesnt do it for me) and so I have decided to dig him out and have him as my thunderwolf lord....but theres the catch. Its impossible to mount him on a thunderwolf as he is just too big, but perhaps...perhaps I could convert the horse into an elk or deer. To indicate a Celtic style of Space Wolves. Something similer to the wild riders of the wood elves

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wild-Riders

After all, with something with horns that size has to be intimidating (once its scaled up of course)

Definately an interesting concept. You'd need a fair bit of liquid green stuff and filing to remove the eye on the helmet and the chaos icon on the flank, and you'd probably want to cut off the bone sprouts that seem like chaos mutations rather than something you'd see on megafauna, but it could definately look pretty cool. The horse head is probably going to need to be replaced.

Hell, why not. Mine's riding a horse.

Really? Any pics?

Definately an interesting concept. You'd need a fair bit of liquid green stuff and filing to remove the eye on the helmet and the chaos icon on the flank, and you'd probably want to cut off the bone sprouts that seem like chaos mutations rather than something you'd see on megafauna, but it could definately look pretty cool. The horse head is probably going to need to be replaced.

Oh the helmet is easy (hello wolf helm) and filing will be done to remove the chaos taint. As for the head, not sure it needs removeing, just add some horns and redo the nose and done

Here it is. Sorry for the bad lighting, it was very early and I didn't use my proper camera.

Anyway, I wanted to model my company after old germanic/norse raiders and thus I found horses more appropriate. My TWC units all ride on horses as well (converted Chaos Knights).

They are essentially all hunter and enjoy going after the biggest game. Jarl Valdyr, also the leader of the Company, made his name during the big Tyranid hunt where the Company was chasing after several splinter fleets before they could find a weak world and restore their strength. He took quite a few tokens from there.

Models used: Chaos General, Tyranid Warriors, Space Wolves and WHFB Chaos bitz, half a ton of liquid and solid Green Stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/HFTUOPP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AZzaMnb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eGCB3Wh.jpg

I Think there was a Swedish king who tried to make elkriding troops. King Karl the XI.

Something i have Heard, not 100% on it.

Some tribes in the far eastern parts of Russia ride on Deers, even to this day. So an Elk shouldnt be impossible.

I'm always the dick who is be deeply unenthused on them riding anything but Wolves. Space Wolves. not Space Elks. Or Space Horses. Or Space Xenobeast.

By that logic White Scars need to be renamed to Space Bikes and Raven Guard to Space Jump Packs :D

Anyway, I do not see the issue. Have your Wolves ride on Wolves and we have our ride on other animals and everyone is happy ;)

I'm always the dick who is be deeply unenthused on them riding anything but Wolves. Space Wolves. not Space Elks. Or Space Horses. Or Space Xenobeast.

By that logic White Scars need to be renamed to Space Bikes and Raven Guard to Space Jump Packs :D

Anyway, I do not see the issue. Have your Wolves ride on Wolves and we have our ride on other animals and everyone is happy ;)

No. It'd be like if Ravenguard started using iconography of other animals besides Ravens. Feels wrong. Purity of vision. Unless deviations like Choosers of the Slain are acknowledged in the fluff, I can 't accept it.

And I'm still not happy.

By that logic White Scars need to be renamed to Space Bikes and Raven Guard to Space Jump Packs biggrin.png

Anyway, I do not see the issue. Have your Wolves ride on Wolves and we have our ride on other animals and everyone is happy msn-wink.gif

No. It'd be like if Ravenguard started using iconography of other animals besides Ravens. Feels wrong. Purity of vision. Unless deviations like Choosers of the Slain are acknowledged in the fluff, I can 't accept it.

And I'm still not happy.

Then deal with it. Besides, if you personally dislike it so much, why do you have to come into threads of people who want a bit more diversity and force your opinion on to us? If you want wolves, then play wolves. It does not mean everyone will share that opinion.

And I'm still not happy.

Then deal with it. Besides, if you personally dislike it so much, why do you have to come into threads of people who want a bit more diversity and force your opinion on to us? If you want wolves, then play wolves. It does not mean everyone will share that opinion.

because the OP asked us what we thought, so I shared what I thought, and you questioned my logic so I explained my logic.

That I'm demanding people do as I do and conform to my my world view are gross assumptions on your part. I have enough trouble deciding how to model and paint my own army, thanks.

I simply dislike the creative choice. if that troubles you, well, perhaps ask yourself why you need this faceless internet stranger's approval.

That looks amazing.any chance of pics of your other riders?

also please stop the only wolf banter,it would be a shame if the Mods had to step in and potentially shut this thread.

have an ale all gallery_24878_5332_150.gifgallery_24878_5332_150.gif (or 2 i wont judge ;) )

That looks amazing.any chance of pics of your other riders?

also please stop the only wolf banter,it would be a shame if the Mods had to step in and potentially shut this thread.

have an ale all gallery_24878_5332_150.gifgallery_24878_5332_150.gif (or 2 i wont judge msn-wink.gif )

Cheers. I'll have 'em up later today. Some of them anyway. They are still in development because I need to find a suitable load-out.

The Lords of Thunder and Rock'n'Roll! \m/

There is loads of work to be done though, like removing chaos stars, adding more fur and some Tyranid and/or Daemon trophies.

I will also probably remove the shields of the 2 regular guys (the guy with the spear is the sarge) and add wrist mounted pistols (yes, wrist mounted, who the hell would hold a pistol when riding a horse and having one hand preoccupied with chopping).

http://i.imgur.com/Xn5Azoj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kZB8L8O.jpg

Immersturm, I have to say I really like that cavalry model despite the fact that I don't like the idea of TWC. Keep posting the rest of the pack either here or in a new thread as , and I'm sure others would love to see your progress especially when painted.

With regards to the OP I think that visually the giant elk idea sounds really good.

Immersturm, I have to say I really like that cavalry model despite the fact that I don't like the idea of TWC. Keep posting the rest of the pack either here or in a new thread as , and I'm sure others would love to see your progress especially when painted.

With regards to the OP I think that visually the giant elk idea sounds really good.

Cheers bud. I do not really want to hijack this thread (though I somewhat already did, sorry for that) and I wanted to make my own Log here anyway. I want to prepare some more models though, otherwise I fear my log will sit long periods without any input unless I structure my work ;)

If you going to go with the Elk which is pretty cool idea. Its going to be all about the antlers.  A stag that a Space Marine could mount would be HUGE and the antlers would be more than 15 feet across, which might cause some spacing issues on the table top.  However if you are going to move forward with the idea, consider a moose which could be modeled from a horse model then add the antlers. 

to the OP, I say go for it. Once GW put futuristic superhumans on giant wolves I kind of gave the the weird eye. Not one of their better moves IMHO.

I am looking for a way to make a model that I like better. I am going to have a buddy models up my guys unless it is going to cost me an arm and a leg then I might just do what Immerstrum has done there as that looks far more fitting to me even if it is cavalry.

Archived