Hey guys, what's up!

Kinda new to this forum, but defiantly not new to 40k!

So I've been playing space marines for a bit now (Since 5th edition as a matter of fact) and recently I noticed some of the Horus Heresy products. After checking out the different Legions I decided to abandon my original idea of using Imperial Fists (my space marine army from normal 40k) and become one of Mortarion's many Sons of Barbarus and roll with the Death Guard!

Now I made a list based of their special rules and their personal Rite of War and I was wondering if I could get some feed back. Anything would really help.  (If one of the items on the list has no point value, that means its free)

Army List: 2000

HQ: 

1 Praetor

-Cataphractii Terminator Armor: 35pts

-1 Paragon Blade: 25 pts

-1 Combi Bolter

-Rite of War: The Reaping

155 pts

Bodyguard: 4 Deathshroud Terminators: 170 pts

1 Master of Signal

-Artificer Armour: 10 pts

-Bolter

105 pts

Troops:

1 Legion Heavy Support Squad

-6 marines:170 pts

-1 sergeant

-Missile Launchers: 35 pts

-Flakk Missiles: 50 points

260 pts

1 Legion Tactical Squad

-19 marines with bolters: 190 pts

-Legion Vexilla: 10 pts

-Sergeant

-Artificer Armour: 10 points

270 pts

1 Legion Tactical Squad

-19 marines with chainswords and bolt pistols: 190 pts

-Sergeant

-Power Scythe: 15 pts

285 pts

Elites: 

Apothecary Attachment

-2 Apothecaries: 45 pts each

90 pts

Contempetor Dreadnought

-Twin Linked Autocanno: 5 pts

-Carapace mounted Havoc Launchers: 15 pts

-Heavy Flamer: 10 pts

Fast Attack:

2 Land speeders: 50 pts each

-2 heavy flamers

-2 heavy bolters: 30 pts

130 pts

Heavy Support:

1 Legion Medusa: 155 pts

1 Sicarian Battle Tank

-Sponser Lascannons: 40 pts

175 pts

I am aware that all flame based weapons have chem munitions and thus Get Hot and have Shred.

Some of the upgrade items though I don't understand (never got my hands on the actual books, only checked out the rules online)

The Vexilla I know has something to do with allowing my squads to regroup regardless of unit casualties, Cataphractii has 2+ 4++ Slow and Purposeful, Power Scythe +1S AP2 Sweep Unwieldy and Two Handed. That's about it concerning gear.  

My tactic was to have the Medusa, Heavy Weapons team, and MoS stay back and hold objectives while the rest of the army heads out to hit the enemy. Anti air covered by the heavy support and the Sicarian, Dreadnought could work too since Autocannons in 30k are Heavy 4.

Again, any and all feedback is welcome, I gotta know what I should buy at least. Don't wanna waste money!

(Wait,I'm playing a game made by GW, It's always a waste of money!)

They don't have to have chem-munitions - it's a free upgrade, not a built-in one (except for deathshroud, they have it automatically). Having said that, it's going to be worth having waaaay more often than not.

In 30k you're going to see AV14 vehicles that are immune to melta and/or have an invulnerable save a lot, so you really need either some lascannons or graviton cannons for AT. If I were you I'd drop the heavy weapon squad, turn the contemptor into a contemptor-mortis with 2 twin-linked lascannons, and a battery of 3 Rapiers with graviton cannons.

Also, always take bolters on your tactical squads - fury of the legion is freaking AMAZING (lets you fire twice in one turn, which means 80 shots for a unit of 20 marines), and if you're footslogging that unit of 20 guys and the longest-range weapon they've got is bolt pistols, they'll be long past useful by the time they get anywhere. Particularly when you consider that "The Reaping" prevents you from running. You need the range with that RoW.

EDIT: OH! Also, always take augur arrays wherever you can if you're taking anything with barrage - it lets you use the model carrying it for LoS instead of the firing model, which is fantastic.

Correction, thats the Nuncio-Vox. The Augury Scanner (apoths / heavy support sarge) only gives you interceptor if a unit is deepstriking within 18'' and thus gives a rather large area denial against DS armies. Other than that flamebeast has it.

Okay then after seeing some feedback I decided to do some changes here and there. 

HQ: 

1 Praetor

-Cataphractii Terminator Armor: 35pts

-1 Paragon Blade: 25 pts

-1 Combi Bolter

-Rite of War: The Reaping

155 pts

Bodyguard: 4 Deathshroud Terminators: 170 pts

1 Master of Signal

-Bolter

105 pts

Troops:

1 Legion Tactical Squad

-19 marines with bolters: 190 pts

-Nunico Vox: 10 pts

-Sergeant

-Artificer Armour: 10 points

280 pts

1 Legion Tactical Squad

-19 marines with bolters : 190 pts

-Nuncio Vox: 10 pts

-Sergeant

280 pts

Elites: 

Apothecary Attachment

-2 Apothecaries: 45 pts each

90 pts

Contempetor Mortis Dreadnought

-Two Twin Linked Lascannons

-Carapace mounted Havoc Launchers: 15 pts

Rapier Weapons battery

-Laser Destroyer: 55 pts

Fast Attack:

2 Land speeders: 50 pts each

-2 heavy flamers

-2 heavy bolters: 30 pts

130 pts

Heavy Support:

1 Legion Basilisk: 140 pts

1 Sicarian Battle Tank

-Sponser Lascannons: 40 pts

175 pts

Total Points: 1890

I decided to replace the Medusa with the Basilisk mainly due to range. I learned from pass games quite a few things can reach you really quick if you need 36' just to shoot. Also, the Rapier battery is using Laser Destroyers due to the fact that I don't normally roll with grav guns, plus I don't really know the range on it either. Same issue with the Medusa. 

Finally, I wanted to point out that even though this would be a pretty good list for 30k, most of my mates and I play 40k, I just wanted to play the 30k army with them. I worried about fliers since even though there not that abundant in 30k, they damn as well own 40k. 

Not to mention I don't really know what else to add to the list, I still got 110 points to spare.

Graviton Cannons are 36'', haywire and cause dangerous and difficult terrain in a small blast template till the next turn, beyond the other part of the rule.

For dealing with fliers, if there are 1-2 a sicarian and 1-2 Contemptor Mortis are usually sufficient (since a Sicarian ignores Jink Saves). Kheres assault cannons on a mortis also give a total of 12 rending shots so consider it, though lascannons are good too.

I do like the Kheres, except for one detail - the range. Giving the Mortis lascannons means that, as long as you position it well, it will never have to move, meaning skyfire all the time. On top of that, the Sicaran is disgusting against flyers because it ignores Jink. It'd be even more brutal if you had two, but tbh you probably don't need that unless you're going up against nightscythe/helldrake spam or nid/daemon flying circus or something.

I'd definitely upgrade the laser destroyers to graviton cannons - small blast haywire is much more reliable for stripping hull points than S9ap2 ordnance. More useful against infantry as well due to the other effects.

I'd suggest you either buy/borrow/whatever the books, it's much easier to plan a list if you have the rules in front of you.

Lastly, yes, I meant Nuncio-vox, not augur array. 

I got my hands on the PDF for the Betrayal book, just gotta get me the Massacre one then I should be good. I've also looked into the Quad Morter for a Rapier and its basically a smaller version of a Thunder Fire cannon. 

Range 12-60 inches

S 5 AP 5

Heavy 4 

Barrage 

Blast (3 inches)

Shell Shock (-1 to leadership when taking a pinning test)

This option does look so bad either

Yeah, it's not awful, but you're playing a Legion list. You don't need more anti-infantry. That's what your (potentially 80 shot) tactical squads are for. It's way more useful to have rapiers throwing graviton blasts at stuff, because it makes hit units treat everything as difficult/dangerous terrain, and glances vehicles on a 2-5, penning on 6. Especially useful if, say, you're playing someone who uses jetbikes. "Oh no! You treat all terrain as difficult/dangerous! How sad! *fake tears*"

Yeah, it's not awful, but you're playing a Legion list. You don't need more anti-infantry. That's what your (potentially 80 shot) tactical squads are for. It's way more useful to have rapiers throwing graviton blasts at stuff, because it makes hit units treat everything as difficult/dangerous terrain, and glances vehicles on a 2-5, penning on 6. Especially useful if, say, you're playing someone who uses jetbikes. "Oh no! You treat all terrain as difficult/dangerous! How sad! *fake tears*"

http://i.imgur.com/nmvmFIu.png

Well now, that does sound rather "fun" I'm sure to look into them when I actually get my army together. Thanks!

Archived