New IW Dread FW

Goreshed

So FW finally got around to doing a Contemptor dread for the Iron Warriors but I have to say...I'm a little disappointed in it. I really liked the idea of each dread having the legion symbol on their chest but they didn't do it for the IW. Instead they opted for raised chevrons, which I don't mind usually but it seems like the sculptor decided 'hey, I'm not sure what to put here...oh wait! MOAR CHEVRONS!' Anyone else feel the same way?

It wont stop me from buying the model at some point but it is one of those situations of 'this would look far better if...' that happens every once in a while with any model from GW/FW.

For reference here is the link

I suppose the fact that the head itself resembles the Legion symbol was enough for them to think one on the chest wasn't necessary...But yeah, there does seem to be quite a few chevrons on there (shoulders, torso, calves - presumably on both sides - and one knee pad).

That said, I'm not sure what else they could've done....the Iron Warriors aren't exactly known for ostentation haha, and doubtless some people would've complained there wasn't enough detail if these spots were left blank!

Pardon my ignorance, presumably behind on HH novels. What is the ISM? I assume it stands for the full name of the Iron Warriors symbol?

Contemptor looks wicked. I like it. It's rugged, functional without ornament.

Also, off topic but zermagerds I want those Gal Vorbak and plastic Possessed to make beautiful, beautiful overcosted-and-underperforming babies.

Pardon my ignorance, presumably behind on HH novels. What is the ISM? I assume it stands for the full name of the Iron Warriors symbol?

Also, off topic but zermagerds I want those Gal Vorbak and plastic Possessed to make beautiful, beautiful overcosted-and-underperforming babies.

I think ISM = Iron Skull Mask. Maybe. happy.png

What I don't like about IW models is when they put Hazard stripes all over the place without thinking why they are there.

I thought the overly pragmatic Iron Warriors just took the armour as it came from the factory as it were and never bothered to paint it. Then Chevrons only make sense in certain places. Hazard stripes on a Shoulder or Knee pad are just hilarious imho. 

I think ISM = Iron Skull Mask. Maybe. happy.png

Yeah that's absolutely correct smile.png

Also, the hazard stripes simply became part of the iconography of the IW. Maybe some of them thought it might add some color to their metal scheme, or for whatever reason. I liked the modeled stripes on the FW Dreadnought as they are easier to paint that way. On the other hand, you don't have to paint them everwhere - you could just boltgun them with some shade, or make battle scars of them.

Well really....it's a seige army. So anything with some sort of beefed up armor, making it more slopped instead of rounded (think along the lines of what they did with American tanks in WWII to the present day)..adding more 'banding' or chevrons really is over kill. They had a system going on with legion symbols on the chest and well...like I said it didn't seem thought out very well. Contemptors in general I'm not wild about but I was hoping this was going to be a bit better looking.

A slabsided monstrosity of adamantium, ceramite and bitter rage? IMO the IW dreaddy is awesome, it has this rugged, industrial feel to it and that is exactly how I see the Iron Warriors. Too bad that it is not painted on the FW site, that would be great and inspiring. 

A slabsided monstrosity of adamantium, ceramite and bitter rage? IMO the IW dreaddy is awesome, it has this rugged, industrial feel to it and that is exactly how I see the Iron Warriors. Too bad that it is not painted on the FW site, that would be great and inspiring. 

Indeed, I think it looks great too. Definitely the way I envision an IW dreadnought. It's just a shame that they haven't painted it yet, because it would look even more intimidating that way.

I could possibly be swayed after seeing it painting but out of all of them I think it is the most lacking. Having talked to some of my friends about this and getting their opinions about it half of them said it was lacking and the other half said it was outright trumped by the NL one released in the same day.

Perturabo is still a master artisan, and while prefering function over form, he still makes things visually perfect, and will hide the form behind armour, not leaving vulnerable exposed cabling etc.

The dread is much more reminiscent of the exposed bionics of the IH, to my dislike. 

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Iron_Hands/IRON_HANDS_LEGION_TORSOS_UPGRADE_SET.html

I mean, look at some of the more simple versions:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/7/3/384907-Chaos,%20Contemptor,%20Dreadnought,%20Heresy,%20Iron%20Warriors.jpeg

I dunno. I need to see one painted.

I personally do not like the design pattern of Contemptors in general.

I love them, think they're great. Can't say I'm wholly inspired by most of the recent updates of them - but it's a lovely base model.

Adding random ornamentation doesn't ostensibly improve that.

I've use the Iron Warrior toward the conversion - I've use

- Both shoulder parts

- Both knee pads

- 1x Shine guard armour plate

Only thing from the Son's of Horus is the body & one shine armour plate with the spike.  This is because I'm not all that keen on most Contempter body look, they don't fit the way I wanted to make my model, much like I'm not all that keen on the Horn look for Chaos Marines & why I avoid using them.
Just the Son's of Horus one body part fitted more with the way I wanted my model.

But 94% of the model is pretty much using the Iron Warriors contempter dreadnought, with only two parts from the SoH model & then the Sword from the Dreadknight & Empire banner for the loin cloth + trophies.  Also bare in mind I like converting models, this is the main part of the hobby for me & the biggest reason I will ever collect any army.

IP

I've use the Iron Warrior toward the conversion - I've use

- Both shoulder parts

- Both knee pads

- 1x Shine guard armour plate

Only thing from the Son's of Horus is the body & one shine armour plate with the spike.  This is because I'm not all that keen on most Contempter body look, they don't fit the way I wanted to make my model, much like I'm not all that keen on the Horn look for Chaos Marines & why I avoid using them.

Just the Son's of Horus one body part fitted more with the way I wanted my model.

But 94% of the model is pretty much using the Iron Warriors contempter dreadnought, with only two parts from the SoH model & then the Sword from the Dreadknight & Empire banner for the loin cloth + trophies.  Also bare in mind I like converting models, this is the main part of the hobby for me & the biggest reason I will ever collect any army.

IP

Fair enough, from the brief glance, I couldnt tell whether the chevrons were painted or sculpted, but could see the SoH chest.

I guess I didn't count on anyone being so insane and psychopathic as to slice up two contemptor kits to make one model :P

The point still stands, though. You didnt use the IW contemptor chest, one of the big bugbears of mine.

Archived