Perfection and Glory - Full Army Shot!

Rangaman

ca. 005.M31

-2 hours after initial deployment of ground forces to Istvaan III-

The Strike Cruiser Serendipity burst into realspace, a twisting warp rift contorted behind. Arrayed before her was the vast fleet called together for the conquest of Istvaan III. Immediate scans of the fleet and planet revealed the battle was already underway, their arrival was late and unexpected. Communique was opened swiftly by the Lord Commander aboard the Pride of the Emperor and his orders were clear, deploy immediately. All assets were to utilize drop pods in support of the XVIth Legion's 32nd Company east of the Siren Hold.

Unsuspecting, the entirety of the 18th Company prepared for the imminent drop assault...

gallery_81212_9961_65937.jpg

Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker of these boards and after collecting and hoarding Forgeworld crack for many years now I've decided to finally make my own log to get me into a routine of modeling AND painting and to keep an archive of my works as they progress.

I know its rude of me to start a log without pictures, but as I have yet to learn the tricks of good photography I will have to ask you all to be patient, I will be working on that momentarily.

My intentions at this point is to detail the actions of a cohort of Emperors Children veterans who are lately deployed to Istvaan III to support a small force of Sons of Horus, basically expect to see purple and sea green biggrin.png

EDIT: I've changed my fluff, my imagination wasn't doing so well and I couldn't resist using marines as casualties so I am straight into the Heresy rather then starting out during the Great Crusade.

A few WiPs of my first unit of Legion Veterans:

Veteran Tactical 7

Veteran Tactical 6

Veteran Tactical 5

Veteran Tactical 4

Veteran Tactical 3

Veteran Tactical 2

Veteran Tactical 1

As you can see, I am basing the majority of my elite on the Palatine Blade models. To me, the Emperors Children are always dressed to impress, so I couldn't see a reason for them to not be based on these lovely miniatures.

I have the remaining 3 members coming along, all based on standard marine bodies.

Until next time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update time!

Been busy with real life so when I've had free time I've painted a couple of test minis using various techniques until I found something I liked. Initially I wanted to do my Children metallic purple so I tried Runefang Silver mixed with Xereus Purple (too pale), Runefang with Naggaroth Night (too blue) and finally I tried Runefang Silver followed by 8 coats of purple glaze (Druchi Violet shade thinned out 30:70 with water). None of these came out looking "realistic" or controlled/professional so I returned to the drawing board. I gave Forgeworlds online colour scheme a go but it skipped too many shades for my liking, came off looking very basic.

So this is my final method, I've only got the purple on the one Veteran finished at the moment;

painted veteran 1

I seem to be getting distracted by my other planned unit for the army...

tartaros 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after a trip down to the local Games Workshop to buy some paints and being pestered to buy near on everything in the store, I finally have what I need to finish off my models!

Veteran Cayman Arreates

PiP2

PiP1

Fluff to come...

C&C welcome

I am liking Arreates, the purple looks really good. However only thing I would say is the faceplate, it looks really dark. If that is what you are going for, then by all means take no heed to what I am saying, but maybe add a bit of edge highlighting to it?

• 2 weeks later...

Back with some more!

Stopped work on Arreates so I could bring the rest of the combat squad up to speed. At this stage the purple is finished, all gold and silver has been washed and I need to finish highlighting and I'm undecided on the colour for the loincloth. I want the same colour across all veterans but I don't think I can do them justice with white. Suggestions are welcome

Veterans PiP group

I'm also in the process of making a lightbox which should stop these washed out photos

And as a departure from painting, I have been assembling more of these guys:

tartaros3

tartaros2

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome

• 5 months later...

I have returned, sadly life has been in the way of my hobby time...but expect updates to start appearing here more frequently.

Also, I have changed my original direction of these guys, instead of starting my story sometime shortly before the Betrayal I have decided to throw them straight in the deep end of Istvaan III. This way I can also share some of my other works, the Sons of Horus.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a bit longer then anticipated, I was waiting on a new paint from Testors from the USA before I could jump back in on my Emperor's Children. I feel like a cheated on the purple since I used my airbrush but the results are amazing, the purple is smooth and rich.

gallery_81212_9961_944895.jpg

This is my first Veteran, a test for all the details before I move on to the rest of the unit.

gallery_81212_9961_214842.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_407388.jpg

Long weekend here so between painting the bathroom, planning some stuff in the backyard for my new shed and visiting my nephew in hospital I hope to get the 10 Veterans finished atleast.

C&C very much appreciated

Almost finished my first Veteran squad; just finishing the red cloth, plasma coils and then the eye lenses...

Calling it a night so figured I would post my progress and hopefully I can get these finished on Wednesday night when I get some free time

gallery_81212_9961_954635.jpg

C&C welcome

Metallic EC?  Clever :)  My only gripe is that you seem to be counting on the metallic luster to define the shapes and edges.  Some highlighting in a lighter shade of metallic would go a long way, I think.  The fellow in front center, for instance, looks better simply for having the shape of his legs broken up by a hairline of gold.  

That being said, I am totally unfamiliar with the process you're using, and I dunno how hard or simple it may be to even do highlights.  :teehee:

Alrighty, progress report!

Finished my veterans, then remembered they all need backpacks so....that will have to wait, in the meantime I also finished the glaze on my terminators armour. I'm waiting until I've finished them all before I work on the bases, I'm also waiting on the Forgeworld transfers before I do weathering on any marine.

Also, I bought a cool light box but I'm not happy with the lights it came with so I'll need to upgrade them.

gallery_81212_9961_1481598.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_1030689.jpg

• 4 months later...

Been awhile, I've been busy putting up my new shed (uber mad mancave) and backyard landscaping....but alas!!!! I have progress finally!

gallery_81212_9961_625204.jpg

Work in progress Knight, have really enjoyed this kit(s) and I'm keen to get more asap

I am currently dry fitting the armour plates to my knight and have come across a section I would like opinions on...

gallery_81212_9961_1518067.jpg

Do I stay with the standard Cerastus shoulders or use the Styrix version? I had considered a mix of the two, with Cerastus base and Styrix beveled and added on top as a replacement of the Castigator second piece.

I'm open to ideas!

Archived