Perfection and Glory - Full Army Shot!

Rangaman

Spent a couple of hours today doing the white on the Vet squad and characters...5 thin coats later....

gallery_81212_9961_4686.jpg

I also basecoated the Dread which I forgot to pledge for L&T and in some spare time during the week I started on the next 10 Legionnaires for the Sons of Horus.

gallery_81212_9961_1082885.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_1258756.jpg

I've pressed on with the black detailing on the Vets and the Champion...who I then went ahead on and did all the other colours too, so now he is ready for decals and weathering.

gallery_81212_9961_346037.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_662010.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_10562.jpg

Emperor's Children
IIIrd Legion, 18th Company "The Evocatii"
Exemplar Kayydin Vros

Chosen for his tactical skill and combat prowess, Exemplar Kayddin Vros was the pinnacle of what it meant to be an Astartes of the IIIrd. Often given secondary command of the company, "The Evocatii", Vros was one of the first to make planetfall from the Serendipity. What he found was the XVIth Legion unit they were supposed to reinforce had already cleared their sector, the battle was already over...

gallery_81212_9961_282180.jpg

As befits an officer of his station, Exemplar Vros dons an impressive suit of masterfully wrought Mk IV, decorated with battle honours and the Sigil of the Palatine upon both shoulders. He wields a mastercrafted poweraxe, Respite, gifted to him by an unknown high ranking member of the Xth Legion during their service together.

gallery_81212_9961_729296.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_685690.jpg

A true warrior, Kayddin would fall alongside his brothers of the IIIrd and XVIth Legion on Istvaan III...

And that's my Champion/Delegatus/whatever consul I feel like character. Really happy with how he came out, was a little reserved on the whole weathering approach but now its done I think it looks good. I held him against the artwork in Book One: Betrayal and I was very pleased to see that the gold and white matched perfectly, although my purple is a little darker.

Comparison of the old scheme to the new, only really changed the gold recipe and the wash type.

gallery_81212_9961_1074409.jpg

Glad to see they are all coming together and the fluff is a nice little piece as well.

Personally I suck at batch painting that many at once (which I know isn't too many).

Yea I agree, batch painting sucks. That's why I detoured and painted the Exemplar. But I guess batch painting does have its own rewards, like completing them all together and mixing colours doesn't go to to much of a waste.

Spent a few hours working on the Vets today, at this stage they are ready for decals, weathering and the bases, finishing with lenses and power weapons.

gallery_81212_9961_808260.jpg

Had a quick look throw some of my boxes and pulled out the other IIIrd Legion guys I started over a year ago...wont take much to bring them up t the same standard as my new stuff I don't think. Really just needs the gold to be redone and the white to be rearranged to match the current Vet squad.

gallery_81212_9961_199019.jpg

Emperor's Children
IIIrd Legion, 18th Company
The Evocatus, Haedian Veteran squad

The warriors of the Evocatus were by and far, the best the 18th Company had to offer. Time and again, memebers of Haedian Veteran squad had been offered positions in the Palatine Blades and in higher ranking companies. As if to not be undone, each brother stood proud alongside one another, never faltering in their dedication and loyalty to each other and to the company. At the time of the Istvaan III betrayal Haedian squad was employed as a personal guard to Exemplar Kayydin Vros, a role they accepted willingly even given the circumstances...

gallery_81212_9961_33103.jpg

As befits Veterans, each warriors armour and weaponry is wholly individual and personalized. Often used as a heavy assault unit, the squad utilizes Volkite weaponry and a mixture of power weapons and chainswords. Little can stand before their might!

gallery_81212_9961_173244.jpg

Decanus Mandurex Wova

gallery_81212_9961_101779.jpg

Legionnaire Mercaenos Abius

gallery_81212_9961_189596.jpg

Legionnaire Artekilus Mela

gallery_81212_9961_92351.jpg

Legionnaire Khylos Chriar

gallery_81212_9961_209368.jpg

Legionnaire Davar Than

gallery_81212_9961_160683.jpg

Legionnaire Destimos Shon

gallery_81212_9961_355382.jpg

Legionnaire Arcamis Strorak

gallery_81212_9961_25942.jpg

Legionnaire Jerus Akiam

gallery_81212_9961_406016.jpg

Legionnaire Tohason Hestios

gallery_81212_9961_186067.jpg

Legionnaire Nakar Karrys

gallery_81212_9961_453584.jpg

Fin!

Veteran squad done, now onto the Apothecaries...and I am really not happy with any of the photos I have taken over the course of this plog. I'm using a light booth, multiple lamps and everything but they are still coming out looking grainy. Something to work on I guess.

Great stuff, a welcome return the IIIrd

I feel your pain with light boxes, and the like - it's almost too much effort to do it! What sort of camera are you using? I've a mac, so if I upload and edit the photo's I can get them halfway decent.

Love the Veterans, not the same direction as mine, but I will be sure to steal some poses... bring on those Apothecaries....

Great stuff, a welcome return the IIIrd

I feel your pain with light boxes, and the like - it's almost too much effort to do it! What sort of camera are you using? I've a mac, so if I upload and edit the photo's I can get them halfway decent.

Love the Veterans, not the same direction as mine, but I will be sure to steal some poses... bring on those Apothecaries....

Thanks mate, I tried using my digital camera but the photos would come out looking extra dark, like Rukal Breacher dark. At the moment I'm using my iPhone...

The MDRC approves, brother. :tu:

Choooooooooom!

I love your metallic purple. I've never seen someone make Metallic Emperor's children but now that I've seen yours, I think It is incredible.

Trust me, I know from metallics. Im pretty sure if I died today, the inside of my lungs would shock at the autopsy with a vibrant metallic red.

Way to make a dynamic and unique looking force.thumbsup.gif

I love your metallic purple. I've never seen someone make Metallic Emperor's children but now that I've seen yours, I think It is incredible.

Trust me, I know from metallics. Im pretty sure if I died today, the inside of my lungs would shock at the autopsy with a vibrant metallic red.

Way to make a dynamic and unique looking force.thumbsup.gif

Thanks mate, much appreciated! I went a bit simpler with my approach then you did for your Sons, the joys of being an automotive refinisher having sapped my love for complex spray techniques...

• 2 weeks later...

Emperor's Children
IIIrd Legion, 18th Company
Apothecarion Battle-Medicae Vaidon Woss & Audar Domasi

Since the dawn of the Great Crusade the IIIrd Legion has favoured the use of a high number of Medicae, in part due to the horrendous loss of geneseed early in their creation. The 18th Company is no different, each squad makes use of its own Medicae, a permanent attachment to the unit. It is this practice that has seen casualty rate within the company to be miniscule, most squads having operated for the two decades prior to the events that transpired at Istvaan III with absolutely no loss.

The Battle-Medicae Woss and Domasi saw themselves as members of their relevant squads. Each had inherently practiced and perfected their own squads methods of war. Woss was attached to Haedian Veteran squad and was solemly armed with his own Volkite Charger, initially being a backfield support officer to the combat squad. However, over time his skill and repertoire advanced, earning himself a Chemos-pattern Powersabre.

gallery_81212_9961_308282.jpg
gallery_81212_9961_501554.jpg

Battle-Medicae Domasi on the other hand was attached to Jovius Veteran squad, a fire support unit typically used to remove heavily armoured targets. To this end he was supplied with a Tigrus-pattern Combi-plas, utilizing the larger magazine to reduce the amount of times he would need to reload, instead being able to focus on triage and geneseed extraction if need be.

gallery_81212_9961_191609.jpg
gallery_81212_9961_17558.jpg

Sadly, their important roles in the company and their squads would see them as the first to be targeted by traitor forces during the Istvaan III Betrayal...

Apothecary detachment is now complete, I lost steam about 2 weeks ago and it has been a slow fight uphill to get these two finished. Next on the table is the Dread, hoping to have him done by next weekend.

I will leave you with a terrible photo of my completed IIIrd up to date.

gallery_81212_9961_119053.jpg

Army is looking very very nice, love the effect you have for the armour

Thanks mate!

As I come closer to finishing off everything I have assembled, minus the first wave of EC I did, I have moved forward with what I want for my XVIth. To that end I have ordered 2 Contemptors, a Deredeo, 2 Executioner preds and a Sicaran...now I need to focus hard over the next 2-3 weeks so I can finish everything off before my order arrives. Super keen!

Excellent use of the Palatine Blade for the Apothecary, It really works! Great work on the metallic effect too!

Cheers man! I stole that idea from the almighty Kizzdougs...

Excellent stuff.

Where is the head from legionaire mela from? I think i want it;)

Thanks mate, the head is from the Red Scorpions Honour Guard. I was lucky enough to find 10 on Bitz Galaxy a while back

Archived