Perfection and Glory - Full Army Shot!

Rangaman

Been trying out different camera apps on my iphone so I can get better photos...no luck though. While I had them out I decided to do a group shot of everything I have finished since January this year. I am super impressed with myself!

Sadly this photo really makes the purple pop on the IIIrd, they do not look anything like that in person....

gallery_81212_9961_1090172.jpg

So awesome. So loretastic. Love seeing these two Legions together.

Thanks mate, means alot!

I have started blocking in the colours on the Hellfire Dread, not sure what to do for the decorative panels and the parchment. I am trying to avoid using the Bleached Bone look because it is very much associated with 40k Chapters rather then Legions. Perhaps a silver or stone-granite look?

gallery_81212_9961_1541669.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_10562.jpg

Emperor's Children
IIIrd Legion, 18th Company
Venerable Saevaran Loculus, Firstborn

Born into the noble House Loculus on Terra prior to the Unification Wars, Saevaran was the first and eldest son to be transformed into an Astartes. Being a personal equerry to the Emperor himself long before reuniting with his Primarch, Loculus was the very image of a perfect soldier, that is until his demise. Some say it was an upstart commander who held a bitter rivalry to Saevaran's almost perfect record, one that would see him highly praised in the eyes of his Primarch, others believe he was tested and found wanting, all that is clear is that Eidolon was promoted to Lord Commander even as Saevaran was placed into the Sarcophagus....

gallery_81212_9961_1263177.jpg

Command taken from him, Saevaran has adopted a new role as a tutor onboard the Serendipity under the 18th Company and favours the use of long range weaponry, using his MkIV Dreadnought chassis as a heavy fire support platform configured into the Hellfire-pattern. Armed with his twin-linked Sunlance-pattern Lascannon and Sol-pattern Missile rack, he is adept at anti-armour and anti-personnel roles.

gallery_81212_9961_1059434.jpg
gallery_81212_9961_1209019.jpg

It is unsurprising that his eventual defeat would be at the hands of Lord Commander Eidolon, the Usurper on Istvaan III...

gallery_81212_9961_97174.jpg
gallery_81212_9961_775062.jpg

And more dead World Eater...
gallery_81212_9961_827836.jpg

Finally finished up! And because I couldn't help it, a group shot of the Dreads!

gallery_81212_9961_673486.jpg

Next on the chopping block is ten Tactical marines and ten Volkite support marines for the SoH...

gallery_81212_9961_1332324.jpg

Great stuff Rangaman!! Lovin your fluff... And the ironclad:)

Thanks mate! I love adding the bits of history to my models, especially the reason for Astartes being placed inside a Dread.

So Tuesday saw Round 2 of our 30k Escalation League...it was horrendous for the XVIth to say the least. Game one was against a Mechanicum warband, completely overpowered at low points thats for sure. My dread was taken out in the first turn by a single Melta shot, my Legionnaires were taken apart by a Destructors Irad-flamer and the Myrmidon had dual phased plasma fusils which again ripped power armour apart. Game two was against Fists, i figured its just bolters aimed at me right? Nope, bolters with +1 BS. Pinned for the entire game from 20 Bolters, 5 of which were Heavy. So...i got tabled twice in a row biggrin.png

Luckily that is the end of the ViV games, now we move up to 750points next month...

gallery_81212_9961_1182075.jpg

Progress!

Here are the 10man Tac squad with Bolters, CCW and pistols and 10man Volkite Caliver Support squad ready for primer:

gallery_81212_9961_452976.jpg

I have a few tanks on the way now so I need to bash these fellas out within the next month

Bad luck in round two, but the force looks good on the table.

The reinforcements are looking good too.

Yea I am not so fussed about winning or losing, just glad to have a game and learn the rules biggrin.png

Yep. Squads look good to go under the spray. msn-wink.gif

In progress now brother!

Great looking stuff man, the SoH and the EC!

Thanks a lot!

Primed the infantry last night to allow proper drying overnight, got stuck into spraying the first coat of green this morning....then disaster struck. My airbrush started playing up, both the air needle and fluid needle started to stick wide open. Ended up spending an hour dismantling the brush to find the problem...cheap springs, sadly i think it is the case of buying a cheapish brush (~$50) from eBay so I will need to look into a replacement asap.

gallery_81212_9961_96898.jpg

In typical tradie fashion I have stripped my airbrush back and given it a quick fix....in this case I am using the airbrush without its main sleeve that covers the fluid needle. Is a bit annoying to use since that's where your hand should rest while spraying but it will do, and it allowed me to finish basecoating and highlighting all 20 SoHs.

gallery_81212_9961_320472.jpg

Now I am looking over what I can do for the Support squad in terms of variance to the standard Tactical. Does anyone have suggestions on variant schemes such as shoulderpad colour or markings? I was looking at the Betrayal artwork which has some SoH with a darker green shoulderpad, but I could just as easily invert the shoulder colours so they are black with green or metallic rims.

I quite like your red swords/power weapons! How did you paint them?

Easy, basecoated Leadbelcher with the rest of my metals, then highlighted in an edge striking way with Runefang Steel so that you catch the sharpest sections of the sword/axe, then i do about 4-5 thinned coats of Blood for the Blood God, finally one thinned coat of Carroburg Crimson wash and then Vallejo Gloss Varnish. By doing the red effects thinned out they will flow away from the raised edges such as the Fuller on my Chaplains sword and the repetitive coatings will create a deep and enriched red as you move away from the edge.

Variant schemes... How about a gold faceplate here and there?

Yea I may look into a variant helmet colour for the Vokite guys, a like to stay away from too much gold on the SoH but maybe black faceplates or black helmet with iron faceplates?

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with something simple on the Volkite squad to mark them out, black kneepads. I figured anymore black and they would start verging over to Cthonian/Reaver territory...At this stage they are ready for oils. I also got started on my next two Contemptors!

gallery_81212_9961_264557.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_878565.jpg

I think the reverse colour shoulder pads would have looked really striking on your SOH, but then again you could use it for elite units further down the line. Keep up the good work.

I was leaning that way quite heavily but in my mind the Support squad is part of the Infantry platoon and so should have the same uniform. I will definitely be using the black shoulders for Veterans when I get to them though.

As for your shoulder pads, you could do a red like the Reavers with the serpent glyph. I honestly prefer the black pads with gold trim and symbols; I think it would tone down the blue tint that your SoH have :)

As for your shoulder pads, you could do a red like the Reavers with the serpent glyph. I honestly prefer the black pads with gold trim and symbols; I think it would tone down the blue tint that your SoH have :)

At the moment I am just filling out the Istvaan Loyalist portion of the Sons, I have already accrued 50 Night Raptor jump packs for the future Reaver side of the force. With that said, I am deliberately staying way from the stereotypical Cthonian look for the moment. I can't really make the XVIth look any more loyalist unless I paint them white :p

Archived