Amy's Space Wolves: Stormfang (10/9/14)

AmyS

Hello everyone! I am fairly new to the world of Warhammer and painting miniatures, I first picked up a brush this year in May and not looked back since! My boyfriend is a professional commission painter and I've been quite fortunate to learn a lot of tips off him. I wanted to create an account to showcase my work, I am very keen on improving and so thought it would be beneficial to try and get some advice for further improvement. I started painting mainly Hobbit/LOTR miniatures but since the Stormclaw release I have mainly been working on Space Wolves. Since the release I've done the whole Space Wolf side of the boxset, Logan Grimnar on Stormrider and a converted Dreadnought.

First up are my Terminators smile.png

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/d0b45b6d-13dc-44f5-a1e8-0435dbcffef2_zpscfb6e2a4.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/IMG_1991_zpsdb3ff89a.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/image61_zps933c2d96.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/image58_zps1f796b4f.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/image59_zps1508d6ae.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/image60_zpscef742e8.jpg

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thank you for looking! smile.png

Amy

So you must be the lady who runs the background things in the Vanus Temple ;)

Anyway, welcome to the B&C! It looks like you're off with a damn good start! It is indeed impressive to see that you're at quite a decent level despite only painting since May! If you continue like this, you might even surpass your boyfriend and take over the business ;)

So you must be the lady who runs the background things in the Vanus Temple ;)

Anyway, welcome to the B&C! It looks like you're off with a damn good start! It is indeed impressive to see that you're at quite a decent level despite only painting since May! If you continue like this, you might even surpass your boyfriend and take over the business ;)

By running you mean taking all my paints and leaving them on her desk ;)

Not bad, they look suitably worn and dingy. Definitely need highlights though.

I did highlight these using zenithal highlighting from above with Fenrisian Grey, I think it's difficult to tell though from these photos. 

I wish I'd had a commission painter as an instructor as I was learning, after 4 months I was still at single colour glob marines, these guys are excellent. Of them all, Krom is definitely my favourite, it's the snow effects on his feet and cloak that takes a few steps above what I can achieve now, 20 odd years in.

Very well done, keep those Wolves coming :tu:

Cheers,

Jono

Love those bases, and you've obviously got good airbrush skills. I would say, however, not to get too carried away with 'special effects' at the expense of the basics. If you practice skin and faces a little (which I know many people find intimidating, but is really no different to any other part of the mini) these good models will become great models. Keep up the good work, you obviously have a fantastic teacher!

Love those bases, and you've obviously got good airbrush skills. I would say, however, not to get too carried away with 'special effects' at the expense of the basics. If you practice skin and faces a little (which I know many people find intimidating, but is really no different to any other part of the mini) these good models will become great models. Keep up the good work, you obviously have a fantastic teacher!

Thanks, what would you suggest to do to improve the faces?

H AmyS. Some gerat looking wolves you've got there. I wasn't going to offer advice, as I've seen your fellas work and if anyone should be advising you, it should be him. However, you mentioned zenithal lighting and last weekend I attended a painting class where that technique was being taught and I felt compelled to share a thought with you.

Taking Krom as an example, I can see where you've used that technique on the armour. Its light but with practice and experience you'll soon bring up the contrast. But if you look at the cloak and the jewels on the armour, you've gone with edge highlighting, Eavy metal style. Now I'm not saying this is wrong, different strokes for different folks (teehee brush humour) but you've used 2 different styles on the model which when you stand back and assess it, looks a little odd.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/consistency-is-key-to-good-painting.html

This article explains it better than I can. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, even though you have a commision painter teaching you, you obviously have talent. I just think you're leaving beginner and entering intermediate, so this might be useful to you. Check with your fella, as I'm talking allot about the little that I know on this subject.

Other than that, keep painting. Welcome to the BnC, one of, quite possibly the, friendliest forum I've had the pleasure of being a member of and I look forward to seeing your painting journey.

Oh, and if you persuaded your boyfriend to publish some tutorials here it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world :)

H AmyS. Some gerat looking wolves you've got there. I wasn't going to offer advice, as I've seen your fellas work and if anyone should be advising you, it should be him. However, you mentioned zenithal lighting and last weekend I attended a painting class where that technique was being taught and I felt compelled to share a thought with you.

Taking Krom as an example, I can see where you've used that technique on the armour. Its light but with practice and experience you'll soon bring up the contrast. But if you look at the cloak and the jewels on the armour, you've gone with edge highlighting, Eavy metal style. Now I'm not saying this is wrong, different strokes for different folks (teehee brush humour) but you've used 2 different styles on the model which when you stand back and assess it, looks a little odd.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/consistency-is-key-to-good-painting.html

This article explains it better than I can. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, even though you have a commision painter teaching you, you obviously have talent. I just think you're leaving beginner and entering intermediate, so this might be useful to you. Check with your fella, as I'm talking allot about the little that I know on this subject.

Other than that, keep painting. Welcome to the BnC, one of, quite possibly the, friendliest forum I've had the pleasure of being a member of and I look forward to seeing your painting journey.

Oh, and if you persuaded your boyfriend to publish some tutorials here it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world smile.png

Thanks for your tips. I went for the edge highlighting with the gem because thinking about real life gems, perhaps they would have sharp edge highlights. Although looking back at Krom, which I did about a month ago now, I'm not really happy with the gems I think the edge highlighting is too harsh so I may try redo that actually.

With the cloak I did try to blend up from dark to light here, but this was the first ever blending I have attempted tongue.png so it may not be correct and may appear slightly harsh. But, I decided to go for the zenithal approach with the armour as I'm not overly keen on the sharp edge highlighting you sometimes see on armour paintings, I don't feel it looks natural.

Thank you for the tips though, it's really helpful smile.png

Thanks, what would you suggest to do to improve the faces?

First, let me say that they are great for a gaming/ tabletop standard, but if you want to take it to the next level, then just concentrate on neatness. If you just put the wash where you want it, around the eyes, mouth, nose etc. not only will you save yourself time, but the finished result will be that much neater. Also, if you paint the eyes darker before dotting in the white it will stop them looking startled. I have to say though, considering the short length of time you've been painting, you obviously have a natural talent.

Archived