WarriorFish's Veteran's Chimera - Treads and Thrusters

WarriorFish

It's finally built! I rummaged through old boxes to find some of the old Guard vehicle sprues and found many treats. You should be able to spot them easily thanks to the lighter plastic:

gallery_30308_3239_18127.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_13541.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_48234.jpg

Particularly pleased to find I had spares of the old winged symbols as I don't much like the new smaller ones. The kit is fully magnetised as you can see from the pictures biggrin.png The searchlight was a bit of a pain as it turns out it can only go on the right side and that's where I always put the Imperial aquila so I chopped it up so it could fit on the right.

It seems ok, but might need pinning. The track guards are from the old kit too and seem to fit alright as well so everything turned out great biggrin.png Looking forward to getting some paint on it over the next few weeks, can't finish Semper's Heroes and not have them riding in style can I? msn-wink.gif Hopefully with all the extra gubbins it should look like something they've made suitable for their needs tongue.png

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun adding things :) Magnets are great, we'll have our very own Imperial Guard magnetising tutorial up very soon ;) I was a little surprised to find the guards, I've another spare set too somehow :D I agree that losing them was a poor decision by GW, just isn't quite the same without them. So much so that I keep forgetting it's one of the new Chimera kits I've built, surprising what a difference a few bits make.

This Chimera is going to get a good weathering treatment but I'm still pondering ideas at the moment. I've got a few I'm ruminating on but we'll see if I'm brave enough to try them out on this... maybe I'll experiment on a different model first :lol:

Ah Track Guards. I've even gone so far as to keep those that came with my Basilisk, just to slap them onto a Leman Russ. I'm already happy that when I started 40K I got my hands on an old-school Leman Russ (I believe a couple of weeks before the new LRBT kits came out) biggrin.png

Looking forward to this Chimera, looks great already, but a nice coat of paint will do it some good! msn-wink.gif

Fear not comrades, I will be applying the undercoat tonight :D I'm eager to get painting again, I've been so busy I've barely picked up a brush since finishing Semper's Heroes :(  I've got the FW track guard set somewhere too but I'm saving them for a command Chimera :)

I'll see if I can start on the vehicle write up too, got a couple ideas swirling around I need to play with.

As planned I've reached the green stage:

gallery_30308_3239_24783.jpg

Going to give it a break for the moment, I'm suffering from the first game of the season and a stag yesterday so I'd rather not risk buggering something up tongue.png Plenty of time left to finish so I'm in no rush, maybe start work on the write up?

I've been giving weathering plenty of thought of late and I think I've finally cracked it. I never got a good "undercoat" colour before until a darker green was mentioned so I'm thinking Dark Angel's Green with some boltgun chipping? I reckon that could work nicely, I'd just need to get the hang on doing it right, as the somewhat random nature of it goes against my programmer ways laugh.png

I'll find some pictures as reference material, I'll also look out for Typhus Corrosion uses - then I'll just need to sort out a nice mud method and I'm set biggrin.png Though I don't look forward to going back to the Emperor knows how many other tanks to upgrade their paint job laugh.png If anyone has some useful weathering links or pictures they use please post them up so I can have a gander thumbsup.gif

Will this do you for mud? and it is DA green :)

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/031/7/0/4th_company_command_razorback__dark_angels_by_elmo9141-d74hrwq.jpg

Sponge - surprise tongue.png

Scorched brown, Bestial Brown, Graveyard earth - each a little less than the one before, then you can use agrax or typhus in the recesses if you want.

That`s it.

I use a similar method for my desert mud but take the colours a shade lighter using Bestial, graveyard and sand.

I have randomised the splatter all over the splash pattern.

In life fresh mud/water would be splashed up all the time so the driest would not necessarily be at the top of the splash, just where the fresh mud had not sprayed yet.

Make sense? :)

I've done the boltgun and I decided to experiment with sponging for weathering before applying any washes in case of any touch ups that may be required. I've only font the front of the tank to get a feel for it:

gallery_30308_3239_17336.jpg

It's not awful, but I need to decide on other colours to use after the Dark Angels Green. I'm not sure what colour to do inside, I can pick out the odd inside of that with metal so it isn't overpowering but the interior chipping colour needs to be right. Anyone got ideas? I'm scared of buggering the model up laugh.png

Archived