New Player - Life Long Project

Weltenwanderer

Greetings B&C Community,

I have been lurking every now and then but never took the plunge to actually get involved in the hobby in any way. But now a friend of mine hang up his brushes and colours and quit the hobby (mostly for his family and job). But instead of selling his armies on ebay or chop them up he decided to hand them out to new players and I was fortunate enough to pick up his old Sisters (which he really gave away for nothing since he prefered to introduce someone new instead of having his models assimilated in an existing army).

I am still going through all the options I own now but I think it averages out at the following

1 Celestine (conversion WIP)

4 Battle Sister Squads (10 women with special and heavy weapon and Rhino)

1 Seraphin Squad (7 or 8 women, two handflamers)

2 Dominion Squads (6 woman, two specials each squad and Immolator)

3 Exorcists (1 Organ and 2 Forge World)

1 Retributor Squad (6 woman, 4 heavy bolter [not sure if it is complete, need to do a body count])

Now, I have been reading the codices and rulebooks since I think fourth edition and it seems like I was one of the only people in that gaming store that actually like the Inquisition and Imperial Guard elements in the old codex. I also like the idea of "normal people", aka Not-Space-Marines, being awesome and earning glory and fame.

So with the current codices that are available i have been constructing something of a 'dream army'; most definitely not legal for any play all together but something I hope to put together in a common theme and have a nice shelf in a few years (yeah, kinda really long term thinking here).

I know I want to build/paint at least two Imperial Knights because hey, big stompy robots (that are also affordable). I have my sights set on a few Forge World pieces that look really nice (that Avenger fighter.... gimme) but I am somewhat at an impase if I should add Inquisition or Imperial Guard (or whatever they are called now, the name keeps slipping me).

The first would enable me to add some Land Raider tanks to the arsenal as well as build some rather interesting combination of models and unit types.

The second would build up some more bodies and would open up a lot of nice flier and tank kits from Forge World.

I am not really concerned if they would play well together on the table; I am more interested in a lore friendly army combination that would make sense if actually seen on the battle field together.

I am well aware that with the unbound armies I could very well slap together anything i want but that does not feel lore friendly to me so I want to stick with the old 1 Base Army, 1 'detachment' of Knights and 1 Support Army.

The lore for my Order is slowly building in my mind (already got it figured out why the Knights fight with the SIsters) but I am really interested in how other members here think the Inquisition / Guard presence could be explained while the Sisters remain the backbone and primary army.

Really looking foward to hearing all your thoughts.

Weltenwanderer

Well!

The Inquisition do retain close ties to the Adepta Sororitas. If a Hereticus Inquisitor wants something done and has his pick of any Imperial force to help him, he'll tend to petition a Canoness for support over a Guard Colonel or Astartes captain. There's really no fluff problems to using an Inquisitor and his warband (you can do it and remain Battleforged because Inquisition are their own kind of detachment).

As far as including Guard are concerned, there's no fluff against it if you're playing defensively - a Guard unit could easily have been ordered to garrison a city that happens to also have a convent in it, but it can be difficult to justify the Sisters being the backbone of the force simply because the Guard outnumber them horrendously. In tabletop terms, including Guard units is usually a detriment because it means less points to spend on Sisters.

The easiest way to fluff the Guard is to say that the Ecclesiarchy have declared a crusade to not only be a military campaign, but a War of Faith to reclaim holy sites in the lost sector. Again, you end up, fluff wise, with the Sisters being the auxiliary force, but that's pretty much all the Decree Passive lets them be unless they want to lead nothing but Frateris Militia to war.

Of course, the easiest answer to go with would be: "Because my Inquisitor decided he needed both."

Of course, the easiest answer to go with would be: "Because my Inquisitor decided he needed both."

Not only an easy answer but also very probable for anything more than a skirmish. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Sisters are also used as the chamber militant of the Ordo Hereticus.

In older fluff they were more closely aligned but the Adepta Sororitas has always been the Chamber Militant of the Ministorum. Both the Adepta Sororitas and the Ordos Hereticus were formed at the the Convlocation of Nephilum and as such have had close ties to each other. However they are also separate structures that can often have conflicting agendas. While the Adepta Sororitas are the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy, the Ordos Hereticus was created specifically to root out heresy within the Ecclesiarchy.

as an addendum to what was said earlier - guard on garrison duty in close proximity to a convent might mean that there would be a huge amount of guard more than sisters, thus preventing the sisters to be the backbone of the army. However, when you play a battle, you hardly ever play the whole battle - just a pivotal area of the larger conflict. It could well be that that garrison force (or the holy crusade force, or whatever) are spread thin over the current battlescape, and that the specific spot that your tabletop is showing is actually the elite force of the sisters with some specialty units from guard/inquisitors/knights. Perhaps it's even a part in the defensive line where the guard are struggling to hold out, only to be bolstered by sister reinforcements.

That a whole planet may have 2000000 guardsmen and 100 sisters doesn't mean your force needs to have the same proportions - after all, it's just a snapshot of the greater conflict.

as an addendum to what was said earlier - guard on garrison duty in close proximity to a convent might mean that there would be a huge amount of guard more than sisters, thus preventing the sisters to be the backbone of the army. However, when you play a battle, you hardly ever play the whole battle - just a pivotal area of the larger conflict. It could well be that that garrison force (or the holy crusade force, or whatever) are spread thin over the current battlescape, and that the specific spot that your tabletop is showing is actually the elite force of the sisters with some specialty units from guard/inquisitors/knights. Perhaps it's even a part in the defensive line where the guard are struggling to hold out, only to be bolstered by sister reinforcements.

That a whole planet may have 2000000 guardsmen and 100 sisters doesn't mean your force needs to have the same proportions - after all, it's just a snapshot of the greater conflict.

Pretty much what I was about to say. It's usually not hard to come up with reasonable yet fluffy explanations such as these.

Archived