New to Daemons

Venemox

So, my beloved girlfriend has decided to start playing 40K.  She is absolutely enamored with the concepts of Tzeentch and Slaneesh.  I had some Pink Horrors, Damonettes, and a Daemon Prince boxed away that she's been working on.  She loves the idea that every model should have some sort of conversion.  Having said that, she's made some twisted alterations to the models using my extensive random bitz box (I'll post some pics later).  

With all that said, I have no idea how to build a viable Tzeetch and Slaneesh force.  The limits of my experience with Chaos Daemons has been playing against a weird 5 Greater Daemon / Daemon Prince list in 6th, and a mono-Khorne list with lots of hounds.

So I'm looking for ideas.  Not complete lists; just synergistic units, tips, and pitfalls.  Advice to help a new player out with.  She’s not against allying in Chaos Space marines (she loves the Helldrake model).

Thanks.

Hello there. First, tell your girlfriend that she has chosen a very fun army. And both Tzeentch and the Slannesh units are very good and strong. Of course some are better then others. Here are some of my tips:

1. I would start with a greater daemon as HQ, propably the lord of change

2. For troops i would go with pink horrors but also buy some daemonettes to summon later on

3. Heavy I would go for a daemon prince or a soul grinder.

4. I also very much like the burning chariot but not everyone does that.

5. Think about your pshycic powers as they are important

6. Screamers are very nice and good.

7.A couple of nurgle units like nurglings or plaguebearers are good to hold objectivs but not a must.

Hope those helps a bit :)

The only reason there's a massive Daemons army in our cabinet is because my wife said "I want to play those next!" ;)

I list off what we enjoy playing, and what seems net-worthy.

HQ.gif

- Lord of Change (generally fly around and use Malefic, make sure to have Staff of Change)

- Tzeentch Herald (still useful for more dakka, turning into a GD)

- Exalted Flamer (immobile, but stupid good shooty at close range, good for anti-deep strikers)

- Slaanesh Herald (give her a steed, greater/lesser ((witstealer sword)), exalted locus, and join her to fiends)

Elite.gif

- Fiends (lots of rippy rendy attacks, ridiculously fast, join Slaanesh herald here)

Troops.gif

- Horrors (useful and overrated)

- Daemonettes (super quick to an objective, lots of weak rendy attacks)

FA.gif

- Screamers (fast tank chompers, unit killers too)

HS.gif

- Burning Chariot (massive shooty, quick, tough)

- Exalted Seeker Chariot (fragile, but super damage output potential with more rendy attacks)

A couple more:

Flesh hounds - super quick in your face tough multi wound beasts for about the cost of a marine. They scout or outflank and demand attention.

Beasts of nurgle - situationally great, t5 multi wound it will not die tarpits. Their major disadvantage is the lack of ap in close combat, they can't run, and they can be sucked into battles they can't win easily due to their must try to charge stuff that charges their friends rule...

Furies - cheap jump infantry that can be rending. Dead as soon as they lose a combat though due to instability and ld 2... Add the slaanesh herald here for a cheap jumpy cloud of rending.

Seekers - deadly glass cannon. Fall into the category of deal with us or else.

Daemon princes - they've kind of fallen out of favor now that they can't swoop and charge as fast, but still big scary monsters.

Soul grinder - av13 is nothing to scoff at, and 4 hull points don't hurt either, with the option to add fleet, a torrent weapon or a battle cannon and a built in gun with skyfire, these guys are monstrous!

One easy way with few models ( so it's easier on to gt them fully converted and having something playable at the same time)  would be something like this:

Fateweaver
Keeper of Secrets

20 Horrors
10 Daemonettes

Daemon Prince of Slaanesh, Wings, armor, 2x Greater Rewards, Psyker level3

This will be close to 1850 points, allows lots of conversion fun with the big dudes, and offer a lot of bang with  a simple combo of the Slaanesh Greater gift weapon and rolling 9 times on biomancy with the princes to get Iron Arm ( usually on 2 of them )

Once that's built, mix and match with whatever your gf feels like converting next.

Thanks, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for.  

We're currently working on a second box of Horros, a GW Damon Prince, some alternative model Heralds, and a couple of alternative sculpt Slaneesh Daemons (doubles as Princes or Keeper).

Well, I have two of the metal Insidious Madnesses from Wyrd, they're about herald sized. Just needs more tentacles and some Tzeentchy bitz.

gallery_60186_9985_20567.jpg

The other may or may not be safe for the boards. Depending on where you work, it may or may not be NSFW.

@forte I PM'd a link of it tom you. If you think it's okay for general publication, I'll post it.

There's no artistry to buying shoes and handbags... She does t have to assemble/convert and paint those luxury items... Not the same!

A hobby is more than collection... Or at least this one is!

Though, I don't know if you guys saw the transcripts from the chapterhouse suit with gw where gw defined the hobby... "The hobby is buying our products"... In short...

Saddness breeds from that madness, from that point of view it really is no different than a purse/shoe hobby (which my wife has in spade btw)... Just buying.

On the topic of gfs/so's playing 40k, if you can get her/him/them into it, more power to ya!

I tried to show my wife how to play once, we made it through a whole game, and at the end she said, "that was fun, but I think that I'll stick to Marc Jacobs..."

Fml...

sad.png tfw no gf that plays 40k...she just thinks I'm being childish and nostalgic..how is buying shoes and handbags you don't need more mature? Please tell me...

There's no artistry to buying shoes and handbags...

Oh no no no. Silly boys. There is a certian level of .. well to put it plainly, vanity that must be maintained. I know the concept of grooming is difficult to understand for guys but one has to actually look like they care about themselves before anyone else takes them seriously. The very foundation of the look we want to achieve for whatever mood we may be in starts from the ground up. Shoes. From sexy to lazy or confident to leave me the feth alone; is all starts with shoes. Pumps, slips, boots to worn out sneakers. They all have their place as surely as a comb and deoderant do. For us it is shoes; for you it would be tee-shirts and jackets.

That said, the last bag I bought was a Battlefoam 720.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more 'Heralds' arrived in the mail today, this time from Avatars of War.

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/images/minis/aow40/aow40.png http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/images/minis/aow49/aow49.png

And that makes 4 (the fourth is a metal Changeling with additional face tentacles)

The list so far looks like:

HQ’s

Herald of Tzeentch, PML 3 x 4

Keeper of Secrets

Troops

Pink Horrors x 11

Pink Horrors x 11

Daemonettes x 10

Elites

Flamers x 3

Fast Attack

Screamers x 3

Heavy Support

DP of Slaanesh, wings, armor, PML 3 (going for Iron Arm), 2 x greater reward (Lash), x 3

Totals at ~1878.  Alternatively, she could leave some off the board and use them as summonings to lower the points total (I'm looking at the Daemonettes or Flamers here, as I'm not liking Incursion).  Does the Keeper of Secrets warrant any additional upgrades?  Discs for the heralds yea/nay?  More screamers or flamers?  Less Heralds?

Keeper = Mastery Level 3, Greater, Greater Lesser

Heralds of Tzeentch = Mastery Level 3, Exalted x2, simply mastery level 3 x 2

Maybe take the locus of +1 S psychic shooting if you're going to be doing a bunch of that.

2 exalted rewards are portalglyph and grimoire...

Incursion is ok actually, the plague drones are a solid unit to drop onto the board, 9 T5 wounds, with shrouding and a 5+, and a ton of poisoned touch of rust attacks. 3 bloodcrushers are not bad either, and 3 screamers can go tank hunt. I've never used Fiends, i hear they're ok. the drones and screamers are really nice, because they can be very mobile in the turn they arrive, 2D6 jetback move for drones, and 24" turbo bosst for screamers (they can also use their slashing tail attack at the same time).

I would say that a lord of change and Disk Tzeentch heralds would make awesome HQ. Screamers would do really well, nettes and pink horrors for troops. Slaanesh soul grinders with baleful torrent are amazing, and Tzeentch daemon princes in heavy thanks to the lord of change. 

Oh yes, the stand in for the Keeper of Secrets is a Kingdom Death Experiment of Death.  Times two (I got a great deal on two for 25 USD).  I won't link it here, and be forewarned, should you decide to Google it:  Not Suitable for most Work places.

The one that looks like a broodmother from Dragon Age.  It fits on the proper DP base, taking up *most* of it.  It's tall enough to stand in as a greater daemon, but I'll do a side by side quantifiable comparison for height with a DP when I get home from work.  It also comes with 3 small pregnant female models I thought would make good Slaanesh based objective markers on 28mm bases.

Given the cost effectivity of the  Burning Chariot, I'm thinking about buying two for parts:  Two Exalted Flamers (potentially the HW choice, Pyrocaster, or simply Flamers), two Heralds of Tzeentch (on Disc, magnets are wonderful), and 4 Screamers, Blue Scribes for tokens/markers, and two large oval bases; all for 80 USD.   great modelling and conversion opportunities.

@ TheDarkOne:  What would be the ideal strategy for rolling the Greater/Greater/Lesser rewards on the Keeper of Secrets?

There is no strategy, really. Hope you get a defensive booster, and if you don't then default for the weapon. The lesser you can pretty much always default unless you get something that's significant to your opponent.

There is no strategy, really. Hope you get a defensive booster, and if you don't then default for the weapon. The lesser you can pretty much always default unless you get something that's significant to your opponent.

Correct

The Keeper needs some defensive buffs, especially if he doesn't get invisibility.

The best defensive buffs come from Greater Rewards.

The lesser reward you can take or leave, usually dropped for aetherblade but unnecessary on MCs.

I wanted to run him with the portalglyph and one greater, but if you get something lame like the shooting attack or armorbane/fleshbane, he's as good as dead, +1T IWND, 4+FNP and 3+ Armor Save are all WIN WIN WIN for him... if you get Reroll Inv, the shooting attack, or armorbane/fleshbane I'd consider dropping those for the whip.. 2D6 shots S6 Rending and BS6? Yes Please! 

this guy should always roll on telepathy to grab invis or shrouding (invis is best), then onto whatever else you want... 

Archived