Why are we Allies of Convenience to Necrons?

Kilofix

Just wondering - fluffwise, is there any precedent to Chaos allying with Necrons, even out of convenience?

I was wondering, because in one of my gaming groups - I always get paired with the Necron player. Which is all good and makes sense rule-wise since we're Allies of Convenience.

But, I'd thought fluffwise Necrons want to kill everything else (even kin from other Dynasties) and Chaos (CSM & Daemons) wants to corrupt everything else too.

Therefore, I'd thought GW would have just made them Desperate Allies at most. I mean, they already made Tyranids CtA to everything anyway.

Orks I can maybe see certain circumstances where they may collaborate or be influenced, but Necrons seem too direct and arrogant to even consider the mutual benefits of working with someone else.

Allies of Convenience(fluffwise) doesn't necessarily mean we are actually allies. Or have to be allies. In its most basic form, it would be something like the Word Bearers attack an Eagle Marines Fortress-Monastery. Necron Tomb awakens. Word Bearers stay out of Necrons way while ensuring Eagle Marines' destruction.

I always assumed the necron's allies matrix represents their cold robot logic - They can prioritize their short term goals and survival over their long term aim to kill everything.

I assume most chaos commanders have no particular grudge against the necrons (they're not imperial, right?) so if offered an alliance that benefits them they would not turn it down out of spite. (I can see that with Imperials - we could ally against those orks and maybe survive, but I'd rather die knowing you will also be brutally killed.)

Without drawing on the 'brofist' school of thinking, I wonder if it's the thought that we might be able to tap into or sow evil with them. But I can't imagine them choosing to team together, rather it all just happened and they didn't kill one another for sake of a common enemy.

Some necrons will deal with upstarts for information, land or slaves for experiments in bio-transference. A chaos warband could always benefit from some Necron technology and even their support. My warbands fluff is in-part a complex maneuver to draw attention away from the eye of terror by attacking other Imperial worlds just beyond the sector. Having a xenos race do it for you is all the better especially if they can pull the Imperium into yet another grinding stalemate. 

Yeah, looking at the Allies Matrix again from the Necron side - they're also Allies with Tau. Which, I guess, makes even less sense.

If anything, I think Chaos should have been AoC with Dark Eldar, because while Slaanesh is anathema to DE, there's been fluff here and there where DE has bartered with Chaos Renegades.

Archived