1000heathens and Armoond - you've both given your thoughts on army composition, basic tactics, and incorporation into campaigns.

How about modifications to the rules that might help other players?

How about composition/arrangement of the tiles?

Heathens, Armond...Just wanted to bring this to your attention....

http://www.battlesystems.co.uk/products.html

Wow! That is awesome! Discover the ship in detail! Very nice terrain!

Would just like to say that I backed them on Kickstarter and their stuff is bloody epic, very good details and you can create hundreds of layouts with them. If you want I'll see about setting it up (been meaning to anyway) and taking a few pics with some of my unpainted Astral Claws as a size-guide line.

On the rare occasion I use my models for anything, it's playing games like Space Crusade or Space Hulk, so this thread's made my day.happy.png

It does me good to see someone else breaking out the cardboard floors and having a blast!biggrin.png

Anything you'd be willing to supply, brother. Information is ammunition. biggrin.png

To be used as ammo for the brain when Dropping Knowledge Bombs!? IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! *epiphany*

Anything you'd be willing to supply, brother. Information is ammunition. biggrin.png

Ok, will get round to doing that today. After wondering how to put it all together I watched loads of vids from their youtube channel and then only put the board, three walls and a door and a turbine together. I'll find the channel and link it here while I put a few more sheets together, so far its awesome and really well detailed but the few problems I am having will no-doubt be fixed for the 'full' release.

Edit: Here is their youtube channel with the vids on how to build to give you an idea of it. Now if you'll excuse me, I will go back to building it.

I've been busy the past few days and have only done two sheets worth of wall sections and the turbine, if you want me to just take pics of what I have now then I will since I am going away for the weekend in a few days and would guess that you would like to see it before then.

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading this report. Thanks for the write-up and the great pictures. Myself and Disease will be doing something similar very soon with our Space Hulk 3.1 sets when they arrive, look for pics in the next few weeks on our Survivors of Istvaan thread.

I've been busy the past few days and have only done two sheets worth of wall sections and the turbine, if you want me to just take pics of what I have now then I will since I am going away for the weekend in a few days and would guess that you would like to see it before then.

Hey man, just do what you can, no pressure here!

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading this report. Thanks for the write-up and the great pictures. Myself and Disease will be doing something similar very soon with our Space Hulk 3.1 sets when they arrive, look for pics in the next few weeks on our Survivors of Istvaan thread.

Glad you enjoyed!  Cannot wait to read/look at more reports using the ZM or Space Hulk settings!

1000heathens and Armoond - you've both given your thoughts on army composition, basic tactics, and incorporation into campaigns.

How about modifications to the rules that might help other players?

How about composition/arrangement of the tiles?

Sorry, boss; just noticed this.

The primary modification we made, due to the severe confines of the board, was how our reserves arrived. Normally in BitV games, your reserves come in through your home corner, but we both realized very quickly that said reserves would have a heck of a time trucking it on foot into the fight in those narrow paths. So, for the defender, we labeled six "doors" for Armonds' guys to come onto the field. When he rolled successfully for reserves, he also rolled a 1D6 to see which of these doors/elevators his men arrived. This gave the impression of his men coming pouring in from every part of the ship to repel boarders. (for a bigger game, we'd probably make 12 doors, and 2D6)

For the Attackers, and to add some insane tension to the game, we decided that they would enter play via 2D6 Scatter, as if they were deploying via boarding torpedoes. Any scatter would deploy into the nearest corridor it scattered towards. Any scatter further than 6" from the playing area itself meant your troops were lost to the void. This sounds like an advantage to the attacker, but scattering three corridors down could suddenly mean that those boys will never even get into the game. Or, as my poor dread found out, landing directly next to a Contemptor leads to a short impact on the field. 

We went crazy with the tiles, and just made something interesting from as many as we could. There really is no right or wrong answer here, as long as you and your opponent are happy. I'm planning on making all new rooms, larger corridors, flight bays, and engineering rooms to add some depth to bigger games, as well as buying some cardstock ship decks, to create the impression of catwalks, etc, to make the game more three dimensional. This might be my favorite part of the board, as not only is it stupid simple to make new stuff to attach to the existing tiles, but the whole damn thing can be changed game to game, creating all new threats and dangers, and always keeping the game fresh.

-In many ways, I got lucky that we rolled the Engines for an objective. This gave me a variety of targets, with no way Armond being able to protect them all, forcing him to spread out a bit. Had we rolled something more focused like the Bridge, He would have been able to focus his defense around that single point, and I would have had a hell of a time cutting through his boys in time. Again, I can see why the IW and IF might want to force another turn in situations like this.

Just a slight clarification, the Imperial Fist trait doesnt allow the IF player to choose to go to turn six, it actually allows their opponent to choose. I suspect that the IW one is the same.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Man, so so late on this reply and I am so sorry for it!  There will probably not be a second BR mostly because I have been relocated to Okinawa, Japan.  I hate to say that, and this game was awesome to play!  If for whatever reason I make my way back to Alaska, then be rest assured more clashes would occur.  It was just so sad we met up towards the twilight of my tour there!

Archived