imperial knight question

finzie

Ok so I'm fielding a space wolves army as my main detachment,I want to run two imperial knights.can I use the allied detachment In the 7th ed rules, stating you have to have one hq and one troop choice. That way I can get objective secure with them.

We are debating this because imperial knights can take any force org slot, but that rule might only be if you are running them as primary attachment.

If anyone has answers please post where you found ruling...thanks

We are debating this because imperial knights can take any force org slot, but that rule might only be if you are running them as primary attachment.

I'll get to the main question a little later, but where does it say that Imperial Knights can take any Force Org Slot (aka Role)? I can't seem to find it. What I do find, I will share with my answer to your question below.

Ok so I'm fielding a space wolves army as my main detachment,I want to run two imperial knights.can I use the allied detachment In the 7th ed rules, stating you have to have one hq and one troop choice. That way I can get objective secure with them.

No, they can't. The reason being is that they have no units in the HQ Role nor any units in the Troops Role. They are all under the Role of Other (Imperial Knight). This Role is defined in their Codex as being a member of an Imperial Knight Detachment. This Detachment is redefined in the FAQ:

Page 60 - Including Knights in your Army

Replace these three paragraphs with the following:

'When choosing a Battle-forged army, you can include any number of Imperial Knight Detachments. Each Imperial Knight Detachment must consist of between one and three Imperial Knights (of any type) and can include no other units. Imperial Knight Detachments do not have any Command Benfits, but otherwise work as any other Detachment, as described in Warhammer 40,000: The Rules.'

• 2 months later...

So I found this post and if you don't see it I will load a new string, but with new FAQs in Oct 14 for IK codex, if you have an army with no Characters ,and I believe Space Wolves can swing this, you can use your Imperial Knight as the Warlord and as such can roll for warlord traits.

We went back and forth on named characters or just characters, because I run DA. Decision was characters and so having SGT automatically in every squads sucks for me, but your Space Wolves aren't organized that way.  An imperial Knight as a Warlord is a beast as you get +1 to your ION shield and if you get the right Warlord trait you may get a chance to gain back a HP each round.

Plays Hell on the non believers!!!  Found this out after STOMP, STOMP, STOMPING on a fellow DA player.  He whined and we had meeting to clarify it says Character not named Character.  I complied with no named Characters, but now can't use it in future games.  Thinking of grabbing some SWs just to role with my IK Warlord again.

STOMP ,STOMP, STOMP!!!!!!

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers!!

Cheers.

So I found this post and if you don't see it I will load a new string, but with new FAQs in Oct 14 for IK codex, if you have an army with no Characters ,and I believe Space Wolves can swing this, you can use your Imperial Knight as the Warlord and as such can roll for warlord traits.

We went back and forth on named characters or just characters, because I run DA. Decision was characters and so having SGT automatically in every squads sucks for me, but your Space Wolves aren't organized that way.  An imperial Knight as a Warlord is a beast as you get +1 to your ION shield and if you get the right Warlord trait you may get a chance to gain back a HP each round.

Plays Hell on the non believers!!!  Found this out after STOMP, STOMP, STOMPING on a fellow DA player.  He whined and we had meeting to clarify it says Character not named Character.  I complied with no named Characters, but now can't use it in future games.  Thinking of grabbing some SWs just to role with my IK Warlord again.

STOMP ,STOMP, STOMP!!!!!!

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers!!

Cheers.

The Warlord requirement is that it is a Character whenever possible. This is a unit type, and not specific to Unique models. So yes, Sergeants count.

The Oct 22nd FAQ for IK also says that if you have an army with three Knights (doesn't even require they be in the same Detachment), one can be designated as a Character and made Warlord (or is it the other way around? same result, either way).

Kristoff,

Thanks for your clarification also.  I enjoyed the game I played with the knight as the warlord.  Does anon have a list for say a 1000 point SM army I could use to field my knight as the warlord?  It really was fun playing him at the front of the army as opposed to leading from the rear.  It did get me in trouble a couple times but in small points games he replaced the Landraider with  Company master I would normally use.  I stated I looked at Space Wolves above, but not sure that would work.  If not I'll just keep using him as the heavy mobile support he is. 

Archived