Land Raiders in 7th

Remtek

After close to 30 games in 7th, many of them running Land Raiders i just can't see them being very good anymore. I really liked them in 6th, but with mech being popular again + Imperial Knights are getting more common place, people are fielding more anti tank (melta, str 10 assault, meltabombs, haywire etc.). It just seems to expensive for what it does.

On ocascion there are lists that can't deal with AV14 at all, but again this makes for a less interesting game when running them. With such polarising performance results they are starting to loose their appeal altogether.

In 6th they had a higher explode chanse, but there was alot less that could get pen's off in general and glances no longer giving shaken they seemed to be in a sweet spot.

Has anyone been running them lately, what are your opionions on them?

They pack a lot of fire power and virtually guarantee a charge for the unit embarked on it. 

First I remove the melta or D-weaponry in a location, then I apply land raider. No vehicle in our codex is cheap or survivable enough to be general purpose, only super heavies, venoms and wave serpents fit that description IMHO

I'm going to be sad when we lose the deep strike option in our new codex, 'cause that's actually a really good deployment option to have.

I've been running mine for a few games now its done exactly what I bought it for. Its delivered and protected the dev centurianbs amazingly and provided light anti air / soaked up fire. A raider isn't a battle tank its a delivery system and its a good one at that.

They pack a lot of fire power and virtually guarantee a charge for the unit embarked on it. 

First I remove the melta or D-weaponry in a location, then I apply land raider. No vehicle in our codex is cheap or survivable enough to be general purpose, only super heavies, venoms and wave serpents fit that description IMHO

I'm going to be sad when we lose the deep strike option in our new codex, 'cause that's actually a really good deployment option to have.

That's why i run them. To give a unit a good assault but it is far from a guarantee. It's not as simple as removing melta and d-weaponry, they are often inside a transport or a pod and so on. People have to plan vs Imperial Knights in TAC lists now which affects the LR quite alot.

At this point i'm more tempted to just field 25 DC and run them across the table, wont take that much longer. They only pack alot of firepower if they don't move. I'm generally moving them 12 each turn getting into position for a good POTMS shot with the flamer or melta if i get that far.

They are going on the shelf for a while, i just can't see how they are close to competitive anymore.

Edit:

This is not a whine post, I think BA are much better in 7th than 6th. Just meta has shifted so much on anti tank, Land Raider is underperforming every game compared to other units. 

Anti air? How does that work, doesn't the LR have to snap fire?

certainly does however if you need the aircraft dead this turn it can pop that last hull point. You essentially get 4 dice to role that 6 which isn't completely terrible odds in a pinch.

I like Land Raiders even more in 7th, for two reasons:

1) It has been my experience that needing a 7 to explode them makes them much more survivable. 

2) Having them be scoring means they can't be ignored. In 6E, people would just ignore the LR and deal with my other units. In 7th, I plant that big scoring unit right on an objective and force my opponent to deal with it. BA Land Raiders are especially nice, since we can have them be OS units. 

In some games, I've even been fielding two land raiders (one regular and one Redeemer). The regular land raider provides nice anti-tank and the Redeemer provides excellent anti-hoard. Not many armies have what it takes to deal with two AV14 vehicles, especially if you are able to tactically use terrain to give them cover saves. 

I've been running a land raider, with a Imperial Knight ally as a distraction to make sure the Death Company gets where it wants to go. Currently run a Crusader, but am considering swapping to a Redeemer.

To give a unit a good assault but it is far from a guarantee. It's not as simple as removing melta and d-weaponry, they are often inside a transport or a pod and so on. People have to plan vs Imperial Knights in TAC lists now which affects the LR quite alot.

They only pack alot of firepower if they don't move. I'm generally moving them 12 each turn getting into position for a good POTMS shot with the flamer or melta if i get that far.

Melta never went away in my meta (gee whiz I wonder why tongue.png) so I know the problems you're facing. Good news is that Deepstriking them solves almost all of the issues above and the only thing you have to worry about is the rare mishap. Even without beacons or servo skulls you get the most out of that raider by dropping it from the sky (mishaps are less dangerous than multiple melta). I've been pleasantly surprised by how useful this is in 7th.

Remember that you can disembark and fire with the passengers (or steal an emplaced weapon) in addition to shooting 2 weapons at full BS with the raiders. That can come in handy for finishing off multiple threats in the vicinity of the raider. Or pop smoke with the raider and shoot something with the passengers. There's amazing utility to be found in this combo.

Enjoy our oversized drop pods while we still have them! biggrin.png

They definitely hard counter some lists, but most wave serpent lists have multiple ways to deal with av13+.

Maybe deep striking is the way to go, i always thought of it being to risky. Never tried servo skulls, do you need to ally inquistion for that? Seems like a mishap is likely, but maybe not.

Yes, would will require a Inquisitor in order to field 1-3 Servo Skulls. As for Deep Striking, either add the certain Legacy of Glory to negate your scatter or, nominate a Tank Shock prior to rolling the scatter dice...

How does the tank shock mechanic work in regards to deepstriking?

It breaks! :p

So check with your TO/opponent in advance if they are ok with it. 

The geist of it is:

you are allowed to declare a tankshock from reserves

normally you must declare a direction and then move, but random movement can still trigger tank shocks (this is the iffy part)

any non vehicle model must move 1" away or be destroyed if it comes into contact with a vehicle performing a tank shock

since it's 1" away it cannot trigger a mishap

They definitely hard counter some lists, but most wave serpent lists have multiple ways to deal with av13+.

Maybe deep striking is the way to go, i always thought of it being to risky. Never tried servo skulls, do you need to ally inquistion for that? Seems like a mishap is likely, but maybe not.

The key difference is that mishaps are a lot less risky than before. But put the model 6-7" away from anything that can cause a mishap and you are relatively safe.

Locator beacons are plentiful in our codex, or servo skulls for allies. Those tend to be gone after turn 1 though, so they are more useful for blasts and alpha strike pods. 

Archived