++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

Thanks, updated been done now to the list.

Also just to say anyone who follow the Honsou stories.  Check out Renegades of the Dark Millennium, for the short story - The Corpse Road, which is just after Chapter Due novel & a few other short stories for anyone who bought the Iron Warriors omnibus

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/renegades-of-the-dark-millennium.html

There also a lot of great short stories.  From preview of "The Talons of Horus" & Abaddon Chosen by ADB just to name a few.

Also how do our Iron Warriors hobbiest paint there models?  What type of look do you go for if you convert your models or just general building them?

It usely - Leadbelcher, Black Wash, Pruple wash, Black Wash, Leadbelcher (Dry Brush with tank brush), Rune Fangsteel (Dry brush w/Tank brush), black wash (not heavy/light wash) this just help & shade any part the dry brush has gotten into & highlight with Rune Fangsteel.

While the gold/bronze is - Hashut Copper, Black wash, Gehenna's Gold - leave the Hashut Copper/black wash in the recess of the armour, Brown wash, purple wash, Auric Armour Gold: Highlight.

While model wise I like to use the metal armour loin cloth you get from one of the Ork plastic box set.  Just see IW useing extra armour plate during seige & trench warfare.  While I use MkIII helmets, Red Scorpian (sp) Honour Guard helmets & T face bezerker helmet.

Overall I like to try make my IW as corrupted (sp) Heresy era look & going with spike on shoulder pads as another weapon.
Just I'm not all that keen on the horn look for Chaos Space Marines when it come to building models to add to my Iron Warriors.

Archmagos Nehekhare of the Pneumachina, Dark Mechanicum Attachment to Warsmith Iapetus Thule, 513th Grand Battallion

8000 points of Mechanicum and Legio IV for the Horus Heresy during ETL III:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/290392-e-tenebrae-lux-iii-horus-heresy-strategium/?p=3738147

...added to about 10,000 of Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marines and Dark Mechanicus since 3rd ed.

FERRUM HONORE VENIAT!

Edited by Nehekhare

Also just to say anyone who follow the Honsou stories.  Check out Renegades of the Dark Millennium, for the short story - The Corpse Road, which is just after Chapter Due novel & a few other short stories for anyone who bought the Iron Warriors omnibus

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/renegades-of-the-dark-millennium.html

Haha, literally finished this today - can't recommend it highly enough.

I base mine with leadbelcher and balthasar gold, highlight the gold with gehennas and then wash everything with agrax and seraphim. give a drybrush to the metal with necron compound and the gold with griffon. This gives the gold a slightly orange color that contrasts with the metallic of the armor. over all it gives the armor a dirty, oily look that i like. As far as modeling, I don't particularly like the horns either although I do use a few along with some fantasy chaos bits to go along with the background of my army being feral troops that have been recruited by the IW. I don't care for mutations, although I like the look of the new stuff, the bio-mechanical really fits with the IW in my opinion.

Something that I thought might be of interest to Iron Warriors fans, I know I am thinking about buying some.

http://www.puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=177

http://www.puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=176

I've been thinking about buying these shoulder pads a few times, but then I always looked at all of my finished miniatures and was like "damn... I'd have to change all of their shoulder pads too, if I order this..." So I still don't own any of those pads. Maybe when I'm planning a bodyguard unit for one of my characters...

Welcome to the Legion, Fulminata, nice army you have!

Out of interest, where do your companies/warbands stand on mutations in terms of modelling? Is it the standard IW response of: Cut it off and replace with an augmetic?

I know IP generally goes with pure, untained, but spiky marines, while more than a few of my guys are infected with the Obliterator Virus.

For a while, I was feeling a little hamstrung by hardline IW lore of no mutations. It felt...crippling.  I think at some point I'll be having a go at a daemon-possessed bionics possessed unit.

Regarding paint, my guys were originally:

Black undercoat
Tin bitz all over; Boltgun metal drybrush, leaving tin bitz in the recesses.

Trim: 50:50Scorched brown+shining gold base;  Shining gold; Brown ink; Burnished gold

Eyes:
Red gore; Gloss varnish

Now I'm going with more:
Black undercoat; Boltgun metal; Badab black wash

Trim: 
Balthasar gold; Sepia wash.

The current stage is far from complete. I kind of started liking the dirtier, more dull IW plate over the previous shiny stuff I did. I need to sort a suitable highlight and such.

Edited by Xenith

Have to admit my painting skills are not that refined yet, but I get clean results that work for me with

black coat

lead belcher dry brush (sometimes twice)

auric armor for gold (love the shine for the contrast)

nuln oil and agrax earth shade for washes

I actually don't have anything angainst hornes, especially with the iconic csm hemlet and also with the helmets from the IW conversion set which I love. But some helmets work way better without them. For example the one with the metal jaw on which the horns point forward. If you cut the horns you will get the cool helmet from the 2nd ed codex pic (see my sig or the first post of this thread for full picture).

Welcome to the Legion, Fulminata, nice army you have!

Out of interest, where do your companies/warbands stand on mutations in terms of modelling? Is it the standard IW response of: Cut it off and replace with an augmetic?

I know IP generally goes with pure, untained, but spiky marines, while more than a few of my guys are infected with the Obliterator Virus.

For a while, I was feeling a little hamstrung by hardline IW lore of no mutations. It felt...crippling.  I think at some point I'll be having a go at a daemon-possessed bionics possessed unit.

I would like to convert a unit in the near future with the Obliterators virus.  If anyone read Siege of Castellax, where it talk about a few IW who show sign of it.  Maybe theme it around Nurgle Marines & also the Destroyer models from the Heresy era set from Forge World.

I did use to have HQ back in 2005? who'd be model with the Obliterator virus, part this was with the Kai gun which was a old Daemonic weapon.

There always more models to add, pretty much as long as there idea I'm always adding to my army :D  IW are my main legion.

Index Astarties artile just said any mutation where replace with Bionics.  But always rememeber it is your hobby & if it down to cool models.  I've seen a Nurgle theme IW army back on the GW What new today blog a few year back was pretty cool.  Or as you said theme them around Obliterator virus.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I used to primer them in black with a drybrush of boltgun metal and tin bitz with different golds for the highlights, not I use the leadbelcher and skycorax bronze and washed with nuln oil. SOme of my bigger units were primered in black, reprimered in the Army Painter gun metal then a wash in nuln oil. I may use that technique for my Heresy-era army, but I will have to try it out on something small before I do that on the expensive models.

As for mutations, I use some. I have the same philosphy as you about the Obliterator virus. I have a unit of possessed who wanted to become infected with the virus and took a shortcut through Tzeentch. It didn't work out like they planned. I will get some pictures of the unit soon. Some of the others have mutated swords or other useful wepons so kept them. I always wanted to use some of the old metal Necromunda pit slave weapons, but never got around to buying any and moved on. When I start my Heresy army, some may get bionic replacements, even if they are just for show.

See for me I always thought of the mutation aspect more along the lines of...said chaos marine starts to show a mutation, annoyed he will have it sawn off then replace said mutation with an augmetic. Started growing a third eye? Cut it out and put an augmetic in. Started to grow claws instead of fingers? You guessed it, lop those bad boys off and put some metal ones in its place. Throwing bits of the obliterator virus wouldn't be bad either into the mix to represent that.

While I'm waiting on Talon's of Horus to be release next week?  I've been re-reading a few of the Iron Warriors short stories from the omnbius & the short story from Renegades of the Dark Millennium (link few post back).  Just we know Soltarn Vull Bronn "the stonewrought, one of the few thing that make him stand out for me has always been the Trench tool, that is also a unique weapon as well as a tool for trench work.  From what I remember in the novel, it say about the tool being use to kill 10 Imperial Fist Captain's & he taken on a Ork Warboss & then countless other people during the Long War.

Just trying think what would be a great way to convert the weapon?  I'd not mind converting up another unit of Chosen theme around the elite seige worker who get the finial bit of the trench/defence work done that is to danger & important for cultist/Chaos Guards.  This would possible be somthing I'd like to try convert for Call of Chaos for the unit of Chosen & they'll also give me a nice unit to use for Kill team mission's. 

Also I pick up some Pit Slaves? for Necromonda that a local wargaming event earily this year, see about useing some of the bionic from them as well?

There also Dassadra in the same short story as the stonewrought during the battle for Calth who pretty cool.  Has all there nervies remove & we see him in the short story in Renegades of the Dark Millennium, so hopeful see more of him in future Honsou novels :D

Now to edit the first page with new links & warsmith names to the list :D

IP

my recipe is as simple as the IV. legion geneseed implantation process: spray black, brush gunmetal, apply vallejo old gold, stripe sun yellow (not too much of those last 2 lest you look like VII), grey for skin and stone alike, wash strong tone.

...and i have work to do...

http://i.imgur.com/LzmZ8aLl.jpg

Just we know Soltarn Vull Bronn "the stonewrought, one of the few thing that make him stand out for me has always been the Trench tool,

Just trying think what would be a great way to convert the weapon?

Yea, I remember the part where Honsou admires the weapon. I've thought about converting some also. Cadian shovels came to mind, as did the Spetsnaz throwing shovel. It's going to be a short weapon, possibly with a serrated edge for sawing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=entrenching+tool&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PHgdVN_BDMLAO72PgIAN&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=656

Just we know Soltarn Vull Bronn "the stonewrought, one of the few thing that make him stand out for me has always been the Trench tool,

Just trying think what would be a great way to convert the weapon?

Yea, I remember the part where Honsou admires the weapon. I've thought about converting some also. Cadian shovels came to mind, as did the Spetsnaz throwing shovel. It's going to be a short weapon, possibly with a serrated edge for sawing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=entrenching+tool&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PHgdVN_BDMLAO72PgIAN&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=656

Yes, the once with the pick as well how I sort of image Soltarn Vull Bronn trench tool/weapon.  Just felt it would be something cool to convert to show that Elite siege unit of Iron Warriors, once who are trusted (as far as it foes for IW's :D ) for those important parts of the trench & siege warfare. 

Just sounded cool the way it was describe as being use as a weapon as well & those he'd slay with it.

Been on writing hols with the IVth, VIIth & Xth Legions. Now it's back to Ahriman and the Thousand Sons...

John French just posted this over on his facebook page a few hour ago.... :D

Also some great idea.  Just as said somthing that would be cool & it somthing that stood out in the recent IW short stories.  Just be nice to convert a unit Chosen to look like that.

IP