++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

• 5 weeks later...

Seem to be a bit quite here....

Using the Hero Space Marines as part toward conversion. The left arm was cut away & replace with the bionic arm that the Plasma gun Hero Marine has.

med_gallery_13342_13449_798064.jpg

med_gallery_13342_13449_474970.jpg

If one were looking to kitbash a character/HQ for the Iron Warriors, are there any MkII/MkIII kits (besides the official Mk III tactical kit) that you’d recommend?

The Champion from the Mk III Command Set, Techmarine in Mk III Armour, any members of (ironically enough) the Iron Hands Legion MKIII Squad could be useful for them.

Edited by Gederas

If one were looking to kitbash a character/HQ for the Iron Warriors, are there any MkII/MkIII kits (besides the official Mk III tactical kit) that you’d recommend?

Hey Brother, I thoroughly agree with Brother Gederas, especially on the Techmarine as the base. Very fitting for the Iron Warriors.

I did something like this...for the Iron Hands...but with an out-of-print FW Astral Claws Techmarine, Armenneus Valthex:

gallery_57329_13636_110848.jpg

It would've looked much better in Iron Warrior colours though. Like just gunmetal with an ink job would've brought up so much detail. I used a metallic black paint and boy does it not show on these photos.

• 3 weeks later...

My Slaaneshi IW Lord is capeless but, for now, complete:

med_gallery_63428_9407_82785.jpeg

More images:

Hidden Content

med_gallery_63428_9407_381053.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_9407_90451.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_9407_561503.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_9407_250423.jpeg

Insignia

med_gallery_63428_9407_456032.jpeg

Combi plasma

med_gallery_63428_9407_352840.jpeg

Chest eye is pearly (though that doesn’t show so much in the photos)

med_gallery_63428_9407_212477.jpeg

Base. Idea was that it look like he teleported in a-la an Arnie-terminator, hence he’s stood in a dip. It came out alright.

med_gallery_63428_9407_284154.jpeg

He’s only the second IW I’ve ever painted but both have been a pleasure (no pun intended) to do. A nice break from pastels!

Nine Slaaneshi IW sonic obliterators are in the pipeline...

I return, brothers!  After a fling with the XIVth I realized that it's been the Iron IVth that has always caught my attention, ever since their Index Astartes article (that's April 2001 in Standard Terran years).  I adore everything about this legion:  the fluff, the no-nonsense cold calculating badassery they show, the pure unadulterated hatred at an Imperium that treated them like dirt.

In addition, I recently saw a Youtube video that showed a simple but amazing looking way to make Iron Warriors conversions by mixing the MkIII armor with the CSM kit to make a distinctive looking MKIII "Iron" marine with just traces of corruption and warp taint.

Thus, I have embarked upon what I have dubbed "Project Iron": The building of a new Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marine army.  I'll have to take this a bit slow as I recently got married, but I plan to buy a squad to convert (I already have several sprues of MkIII marines from Prospero) to test out the merit of the idea; if it works I also plan to do things like convert a loyalist Dreadnought with the Chaos vehicle upgrade kits to make something like the old "Ferrum Infernus" dreadnought rather than the more organic looking Helbrute, and figure out a way to convert Terminators to be with Tartaros and/or Cataphractii armor (this will be tricker I think).  With luck there will also be a range of new sculpts coming in the near future (we can hope) that will make it easier.

IRON WITHIN

IRON WITHOUT

My Slaaneshi IW Lord is capeless but, for now, complete:

med_gallery_63428_9407_82785.jpeg

More images:

[hidden]

med_gallery_63428_9407_381053.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_9407_90451.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_9407_561503.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_9407_250423.jpeg

Insignia

med_gallery_63428_9407_456032.jpeg

Combi plasma

med_gallery_63428_9407_352840.jpeg

Chest eye is pearly (though that doesn’t show so much in the photos)

med_gallery_63428_9407_212477.jpeg

Base. Idea was that it look like he teleported in a-la an Arnie-terminator, hence he’s stood in a dip. It came out alright.

He’s only the second IW I’ve ever painted but both have been a pleasure (no pun intended) to do. A nice break from pastels!

Nine Slaaneshi IW sonic obliterators are in the pipeline...

Looks great! Love the use of old Chaos Warrior bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing. Last October I went to a tournament. Iron warriors Slaanesh marked obliterators (6) with lord and sorcerer and plasma shower termies.

3 games: against Tyranids, against Imperium soup and against ultrasmurfs with a Knight Castellan.

Game 1 against the knight. He wins turn 1. Knight marches up, is within 12 of my deploy. Drop and kill it turn 1. 4 turns of clean up follow, I feel bad, the guy's army is so well painted its sad.

Game 2. Tyranid Carnifexes spam curb stomps me although I resist valiantly for the first 4 turns. Since they have -1 to hit (curse camo carapace)

Game 3. Guy sends blood angel captains of jump packs, thunder hammers and shields. 3 golden dudes on bikes follow with 2 repulsors to back them up. Walk back and shoot. Game ends turn 3. Me killing 2 captains per turn as the havoc and the knight clean up the repulsors.

Conclusion: Slaanesh Obliterators firing against something with endless cacophony, veterans of the long war, prescience and death hex cast on its target are op.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing. Last October I went to a tournament. Iron warriors Slaanesh marked obliterators (6) with lord and sorcerer and plasma shower termies.

3 games: against Tyranids, against Imperium soup and against ultrasmurfs with a Knight Castellan.

Game 1 against the knight. He wins turn 1. Knight marches up, is within 12 of my deploy. Drop and kill it turn 1. 4 turns of clean up follow, I feel bad, the guy's army is so well painted its sad.

Game 2. Tyranid Carnifexes spam curb stomps me although I resist valiantly for the first 4 turns. Since they have -1 to hit (curse camo carapace)

Game 3. Guy sends blood angel captains of jump packs, thunder hammers and shields. 3 golden dudes on bikes follow with 2 repulsors to back them up. Walk back and shoot. Game ends turn 3. Me killing 2 captains per turn as the havoc and the knight clean up the repulsors.

Conclusion: Slaanesh Obliterators firing against something with endless cacophony, veterans of the long war, prescience and death hex cast on its target are op.

Did you deep strike the oblitz? What was on the board that kept 50% of your points on the board? More curious because I want to make something like this list work.

Thinking about converting the cataphractii captain into a chaos lord for my IW. any good ideas?

I was considering giving mine the bionic arm from the Orlock sprue. The rest is decidedly slaaneshi though so I’m not sure what I want to use him(or the other termies from that box) as...

Thinking about converting the cataphractii captain into a chaos lord for my IW. any good ideas?

I was considering giving mine the bionic arm from the Orlock sprue. The rest is decidedly slaaneshi though so I’m not sure what I want to use him(or the other termies from that box) as...

Creating some kind of gun-arm might be nice to represent a combi-weapon. Then turn the rest into Oblits by mixing with Kataprhon Battle Servitor parts, Orlock parts, and just about anything else from your bits box. Cataphractii are chunky enough that it should work.

I am sorry if I missed it but a quick question... where do you get all the servo arms? I can't find any.

The kataphron servitor and other as mech guys have a few.

Kataphrons are a goldmine for IW bionic bits. My Possessed are essentially a combination of Kataphrons and Dark Vengeance Chosen.

Yeah I have some kataphron sprues. Gonna use bits for my black templars master of the Forge and then some for my Iron Warriors... Might see about building that whatchamacallit on the thingamajig... Hellwright on dark abeyant! That's it!

Hmmm yeah I’ve definitely thought about picking up that kit, if only to make a couple of the rapier cannon things from FW on the cheap. Does look to be a killer source of bionics and weapons!

Base doesn’t tell me enough I need to see them next to something else but seems about spawn sized? I think they would make killer oblitz but I’m wondering if we’re getting new ones based on some rumor engine stuff.

Base doesn’t tell me enough I need to see them next to something else but seems about spawn sized? I think they would make killer oblitz but I’m wondering if we’re getting new ones based on some rumor engine stuff.

Those are 40mm bases. Soo..... yeah. They're huge for models on a 40mm base.

I'm also trying my hand at painting a pair of Iron Warriors for a friend, made from the Blackstone Fortress minis, with some minor changes (a headswap, shaved the Black Legion icon on one and removed the pad entirely on the other for a Mark III shoulder)

IC6Z43k.jpg