++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

So fellow warsmiths how are we feeling about abbadon? I’m looking at swapping a DP with IW warlord trait for abbadon? I’ll grab his model just because but I’m interested if anyone thinks he has any play in an IW army

Doesn't having Abaddon with keyword BLACK LEGION in a detachment with keyword IRON WARRIORS mean that we don't get all the detachment bonuses?

Sorry should have elaborated, I would be running him in a black legion detachment, as to what I’m still undecided but I’m thinking maybe chosen and some terminators or even just basic cultists/marines, but I think as a beat stick/line anchor he might do well. A big chunk of points though

Are Renegade Basilisks or Leman Russ tanks worth it for Iron Warriors or would I be better off with a Renegade Knight Castellan?

Basilisks would be very fluffy for Iron Warriors but I couldn't comment on the in game feasibility of taking them, sorry!

A question Iron Warriors though. How useful are we thinking Devastation Batteries are? The Relic is useless to us as far as I can tell as it's just our trait. The Armourbane could be nice in a nice AT position, becoming a mini Guilliman firebase but how many vehicles are you going to actually shoot on average? The main benefit I can see is Punishing Volley, being able to once a turn hopefully punish any unit that moves out of place or hopefully blunt an attack incoming. 

Punishing Volley can only be used once per game, and only then if you do not have the first turn. It's still a great albeit situational stratagem, but beyond that you don't get a lot out of taking a Devastation Battery as an Iron Warriors player. You'll be paying 1CP to have the chance to pay another 1CP to use that stratagem, you gain nothing out of the relic, virtually nobody needs to shoot buildings - which you already re-roll wound rolls when targeting, the stratagem lets you re-roll damage rolls - and I'm not really convinced that the Warlord Trait will find much use.

The great advantage of the Devastation Battery of course is that IW players are going to be taking these sorts of units anyway, so it's probably best just to play around and see if you find it worth it.

Isn't the main point of the devastation battery to get re-roll wounds of 1's vs vehicles? That's good for everyone. And you can choose not to spend the CP if you aren't facing vehicles i think (not sure if you know what your opponent is fielding at the point where you have to decide if you spend the CP or not.)

You're going to be needing to have a Lord on babysitting duty to get anything out of that trait. If you were already doing that then it might prove useful occasionally, for sure, but otherwise the whole point about flexibility is moot.

Thanks for the replies! Didn't realise it was single use, didn't see it on the box when I looked at it. Think Marshal hit the nail on the head there, just gotta play around with it.  Got some games coming up in a couple of weeks so will test it and report back!

Thanks for the replies! Didn't realise it was single use, didn't see it on the box when I looked at it. Think Marshal hit the nail on the head there, just gotta play around with it.  Got some games coming up in a couple of weeks so will test it and report back!

It's single use because you can only use it after the first movement phase of the opponent (and if you didn't get first turn) and in matched play you can use a Stratagem only once per phase. In Narrative Play you could use it several times during your opponents first turn until you run out of CP or units to shoot with. ^^

It definetly would be a fluffy choice for IW, they are known to use a lot of daemon engines. That doesn't mean devastation battery isn't a fluffy choice, it most certainly is as heavy weapons/havocs and especially obliterators are very IW themed. In fact the very first obliterators were Iron Warriors according to the most recent version of the lore. 

Nothing wrong with using a deamonkin ritualist formation for IW, but that's actually the least Iron Warrior out of the three, daemon possession is really the Word Bearers main thing. 

It definetly would be a fluffy choice for IW, they are known to use a lot of daemon engines. That doesn't mean devastation battery isn't a fluffy choice, it most certainly is as heavy weapons/havocs and especially obliterators are very IW themed. In fact the very first obliterators were Iron Warriors according to the most recent version of the lore. 

Nothing wrong with using a deamonkin ritualist formation for IW, but that's actually the least Iron Warrior out of the three, daemon possession is really the Word Bearers main thing. 

IW also can claim to have invented Havocs, per 30k fluff.

Demon engines are only one face of the IW. You could be as stodgy as we were in the HH, hopelessly diminished with thin bloods/ half breeds etc. IW has more scope for variation than they appear at the surface.

I was just wondering if Perturabo used any other melee weapons besides when he acquired Forgebreaker. I mean if he just shot stuff and punched things Saitama style, that's cool as well. Dorn uses just a bolter and a chainsword, I could see Perturabo just using a power gladius/spatha in comparison. 

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity what is everyone doing for the flesh on their Obliterators?

I've been thinking about doing a dirty car oil/brake fluid look but can't really figure out the best way to go about it at the minute. Was wondering what other people had come up with

I intend to do mine the same way I did the flesh on my hellbrutes (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5053619 - the one with 1 eye) - basically, paint it a flesh colour, give it a Reiklander wash and a wash from the flaurescent purple paint I use as part of my recipe for my armour colour.

Mine won't be iron warriors, though, obviously.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Guest uk_crow

Hey everyone, whats everyone's thoughts on the viability of a reasonably fluffy IW army?

Thinking along the lines of a couple of CSM units (rhino mounted), units of havocs (autocannons & lascannons), units of obliterators led by a DP with terminators? Maybe a lord to babysit the havocs? Cheers

Most things work with IW, I would say drill down more with a focoused theme, infantry, daemon engines, legion vehicles etc. I am infantry footsloggers with some elite armour (sicarians), dreads. I am moving it slowly to heavy mech with LR' s, spartans (maybe mastodon. ....)