++ Iron Within, Iron Without An Iron Warriors Community ++

I've managed to get 3 games of 8th so far. Hellbrutes are very nice I'm finding, even if in my last game it ripped the fuel tank out of a transport and that exploded my two remaining terminators into nothing, having a reliable 2+ wounding unit that can take a lot of fire is always handy. Until we get a chaos codex and some more unique weapon choices (like the forgemaster axe) I have decided to lop the axe off of my Lord and use his servo arm as a power fist. With a -1 he's hitting on 3+ which is still pretty good and I get to more reliably wound and do more damage, being stuck for 3 rounds of fighting with a SoB imagifier is just embarrassing. Obliterators are very different but I am enjoying them, though they are resigned to being much closer to the fight. The Leviathan has only seen 1 game but it did excellent, just storming up a side of the board and wiping out a chrimera and squads of guard easily. Armour I feel unless fielding a land raider you need TankS rather than a tank. Lascannons will eat armour up in Heavy weapon squads etc so I think a backup is wise. 

One thing I noticed I was missing out on is dedicated combat. Shooty wise I'm fine on but once say space wolves get up close it then gets rather nasty. Mutilators I'm going to build up as they have more of a place I feel now that Obliterators have lost their power fists. They do have the randomness about them so I think they'll be best at sorting out troop choices rather than elites etc. For some more reliability I am building a unit of berserkers for that lovely chain axe action. 

One thing I noticed I was missing out on is dedicated combat. Shooty wise I'm fine on but once say space wolves get up close it then gets rather nasty. Mutilators I'm going to build up as they have more of a place I feel now that Obliterators have lost their power fists. They do have the randomness about them so I think they'll be best at sorting out troop choices rather than elites etc. For some more reliability I am building a unit of berserkers for that lovely chain axe action. 

I have found Terminators to be good for this. I plan to add another 5 to my army. They can deep strike in shoot and maybe even manage a cheeky assault (MOK helps) 

I have found Terminators to be good for this. I plan to add another 5 to my army. They can deep strike in shoot and maybe even manage a cheeky assault (MOK helps) 

What load out do you give them? I've been mainly fielding 5 with power axes and combi bolters using them as a deep strike shoot in the flanks unit or to get a jump on objectives. 

What load out do you give them? I've been mainly fielding 5 with power axes and combi bolters using them as a deep strike shoot in the flanks unit or to get a jump on objectives. 

I have been useing 1 Heavy Flamer, 1 Combi-Flamer, 2 Combi-Melts and 1 Combi-Bolter. With Power Fists. I Drop them with a sorcerer who uses wartime on them so they get closer after they deep strike so the flamers. The mix of shots lets them blast many different types of targets, so Ideally they land near a mix of targets as well. 

Not saying its perfect. Kinda want the whole squad with Combi-Plas and Power Axes. 

Edited by Warsmith Uveron

And don't forget sorcerers can get them closer with warptime after DSing. :smile.:

Well that is what I was saying I have been doing =) 

Gah! I was on the mobile and it scrolled down to canadian's post straight away! :biggrin.:

...by the way, nobody partaking in the event? IW is the only Legion without participants...

Edited by Excessus

And don't forget sorcerers can get them closer with warptime after DSing. :smile.:

Gah! I was on the mobile and it scrolled down to canadian's post straight away! :biggrin.:

...by the way, nobody partaking in the event? IW is the only Legion without participants...

I want to but I'm not in the position to actually do any hobby for a while.

Okay, I think I'm going to push myself a bit and enter Excessus' DIU AD BELLI with my XCIIIrd Grand Battalion/company with some of the BoP minis, and possibly later on with my Land Raider Achilles Alpha that I haven't actually built yet.

Question is: how would you guys convert the Soulburner bombard? If the WhB Apocalypse Cannon were still on the market I may have gone with that, but it doesn't seem like that's an (easy) option any more. To make this more complicated, I'd really like it if I were able to magnetise it so I can still keep the Quad Mortar for HH games

I'm aim on taken part.  I'm just trying to find a replacement for photobucket & camera I've been using current been borrow, one I tend to use in the past & for event is still currently broken.  It possible going to not be until next week until I can get anything sorted.

With Terminators - There one of my main units I've been using for years.  Really happy & it been really great using them in 8th.  Just wanted to check, can Combi Plasma super charge?  Just want to make sure.

I believe it can supercharge. In the reference area at the back of the index, combi-plasma has bolter and plasma gun profiles, but at the ability part for plasma it says to see the actual plasma gun entry and the only ability there is for super charging the weapon. 

Okay, I think I'm going to push myself a bit and enter Excessus' DIU AD BELLI with my XCIIIrd Grand Battalion/company with some of the BoP minis, and possibly later on with my Land Raider Achilles Alpha that I haven't actually built yet.

Question is: how would you guys convert the Soulburner bombard? If the WhB Apocalypse Cannon were still on the market I may have gone with that, but it doesn't seem like that's an (easy) option any more. To make this more complicated, I'd really like it if I were able to magnetise it so I can still keep the Quad Mortar for HH games

I picked up the Lord of Skulls cannon, actually with the intention of using it as a quad morter on a converted Achilles. I assumed the bombard could be represented by the same, or just switching out the tips(would be easy to magnetize I think).

So with the new edition I'm struggling to make Iron warrior's lists. I've made one test list for 2k points. What are people finding are the best "Iron Warriors" options in list building

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336123-8th-ed-2k-iron-warriors-1st-attempt/?do=findComment&comment=4807726

Just picked up the audio book version of "Perturabo" in the morning and listened to it in one go and am about half through the 2nd listening... It's absolutely awesome! I can only recommend it. I'm thinking about picking up a special edition hc copy... but am not sure yet.

As to the new edition I envy you guys, as I couldn't get a game in with the new edition myself yet. I read the rule book (I really like the new developments in the fluff) and our indices (including the FW one) and have kind of mixed feelings about the new edition and what we look like in it. But I first have to get some real games in.

In Germany, the largest tournament series is now allowing FW to be used, which makes me really happy. My first ideas for lists incorporate a large blob of cultists, berserkers in Dreadclaws, a sorcerer with jumppack and a dark apostle, as well as my dual gattling knight and finally some havocs for rocket launchers and las cannons. I'm curious how it will work. I also plan to build raptors and warp talons and finish my land raiders. I also still have a Storm Eagle and a Hellblade craving for attention. I feel like awesome hobbytimes lie ahead... :smile.:

Edited by Iron Skull Mask

Just picked up the audio book version of "Perturabo" in the morning and listened to it in one go and am about half through the 2nd listening... It's absolutely awesome! I can only recommend it. I'm thinking about picking up a special edition hc copy... but am not sure yet.

I picked up the hardback just the other day and finished it last night. There is a lot of good insight into Perturabo's character and what made him the way he is. It highlights the tragedy of what Perturabo could have been had he been nurtured in the right way, both by Dammekos and the Emperor.

That said, this story should have had twice as many words dedicated to it, I think. It would have made a great duology. The two stories interwoven, while a great read, each are shorter than they deserve to be. It made both narratives feel rushed and sparse on development. That so much is said in the space available shows that the author knows his business, I just wanted more. Especially at today's BL prices, but that's a long-standing gripe of mine since they moved away from mass market paperback as their main product.

Also LOL at the traitor Dantioch

Hidden Content
"I never want to see your face again."

I picked up the hardback just the other day and finished it last night. There is a lot of good insight into Perturabo's character and what made him the way he is. It highlights the tragedy of what Perturabo could have been had he been nurtured in the right way, both by Dammekos and the Emperor.

That said, this story should have had twice as many words dedicated to it, I think. It would have made a great duology. The two stories interwoven, while a great read, each are shorter than they deserve to be. It made both narratives feel rushed and sparse on development. That so much is said in the space available shows that the author knows his business, I just wanted more. Especially at today's BL prices, but that's a long-standing gripe of mine since they moved away from mass market paperback as their main product.

Hidden Content

Yes that pretty much my though.  I really enjoyed reading the Perturabo novel & as you said was really great insight.

​Also anyone seen the new Nurgle tank that was posted yesterday?  Even if other Chaos armies may not be allowed it, I'd still like to convert one up for the Iron Warriors & look that using one of the unit entry from the Forge World Chaos index, like Typhon?

Hidden Content

Yup, my thoughts as well. Another hundred pages or so would have helped a lot to flesh out that story a bit more. But still, a really good insight into Perturabo and his personal development!

With the issue with Photobucket & the problem it cause.  I've just started up a new Iron Warrior army log over on the force, which will also show other Chaos faction, like my new Nurgle force

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336629-iron-warriors-5th-grand-company-project-black-crusade/

Just had a really great game against my friends Orks, in the Bunker assault mission.  They've wanted a siege type game for past few months & this was also allow them get there first game 8th ed.  It just great to bring back Warsmith Abhorred Riddick (Daemon Prince) in games :biggrin.:

Edit - Front page been sorted/remove photobucket links

Edited by Insane Psychopath

• 2 weeks later...

The second Warsmith:

​So a few friends are running a RPG (Deathwatch?). Where they've base character on people from my local Games Workshop store & gaming club. So they've base a Iron Warrior Warsmith on myself. The narrative meant to be base on the Gothic sector & how he led to the warp storm there.
His warband meant to be Helbrute & Obliterator heavy, it sort of the Chaos era version of Narik Dreygur (the limited ed Forge World model). With the Warsmith having the flesh-metal armour that was a relic in Traitor Legion. Has the eternal hate of Magnus.

So if & when new Obliterators models get release from Games Workshop, there going to make up his warband who are attach to my 5th Grand Company. Sort like the two Iron Warriors force in Dead Sky Black Sun.

med_gallery_13342_13449_95675.jpg

med_gallery_13342_13449_90887.jpg

med_gallery_13342_13449_43497.jpg

med_gallery_13342_13449_7814.jpg

Just having a look though few White Dwarfs for some idea. 202 having John Blanche art work as well as shown studio member conversion. While the other White Dwarf has the Will of Iron article by Christian Bryn, just it has the Basilisk, which I'd like to add my own version to my own Iron Warriors soon.

​Also just getting ready for the Fate of Konor campaign. My first game next week against Necrons vs a new friend/new person that going to my gaming club. As said narrative really important to me & want to add onto to the history of my Iron Warriors.

gallery_13342_13449_41008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh fleshmetal exoskeleton I have missed you, don't you ever go away again! I'm pretty happy with those rules, also seems like we aren't restricted to unmarked units which is a good change from the Traitor Legion book. Think it might be worth building a shooty Chaos Lord to sit in cover with a large unit and just hold objectives.