Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Great Company of Howland Greywolfe a WIP thread

space wolf work in progress WIP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts
So today I started doing work on my space wolves, managing to look through what could be salvaged from my old models and sadly...I feel that very little can be. My grey hunters seem fine, but it is the blood claws I have problems with. So with that in mind, I decided to build a new squad of them with the 10 I got with Stormclaw (plus the handful I saved). Also I have built my thunderwolves (still need to GS the gaps and whatnot) and a squad of Grey Hunters is currently in the strip pot (well the 6 that are painted) but I wish to show you all everything that I have finished building.

IMG_20140915_171037_zps84690757.jpg

My bloodclaws with Terminator Wolf Guard. (the ones in black are my original colour scheme.....I was young and I hated painting).

IMG_20140915_170716_zps30b026b6.jpg

Next my Wolf lord himself. So far his wolf is a real patchwork of green because there were a few gaps I had to fill, and the machanical jaw needed filling in (I want his thunderwolf unblemished)

IMG_20140915_170830_zps509572ed.jpg

Wolf Guard Terminators, the squad leader in the center has been built from an old terminator (as in, before we had our own kit) and with a little SW flair, he fits right in with the rest of them. Also, annoyed that the kit only has 4 storm sheilds :(

IMG_20140915_171133_zpsa46c6e4e.jpg
And finaly my rune preist (whoes body has been gracefully donated from Krom). Proud of how he came out and I cannot wait to test deamon summoning with him (no I am not heretical, just going to use thier rules to represent the spirits of fenris coming to his aid).

Anyway, sorry for the poor quality of pictures, its late in the day and I only had 3 hours sleep to correct my sleep pattern.

Edited by Commander_Moustache, 18 September 2014 - 10:30 AM.

My Astra Millitarum The 88th Airborne Horse Artillery. Enjoy the pics and the WiPs

My Space Marines The Order of Hyberon. All complete so enjoy the work

My Space Wolves Howland Greywolfe's Great company. WiP

That's a good looking Taurox. I'm glad someone in the Imperium has figured out how to put wheels on a truck. Figures it would be a regiment who take their sermons from large dogs and drop horse artillery from aircraft.

Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,154 posts

Looks nice.

Note: read my sig in regards to summoning.

There are no Deamons in 40k

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,660 posts

Nice use of the Krom model there, looks great!

"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts
Just a quick update of my secound day of building (hurray for days off work).

IMG_20140917_152902_zps51e5cdcd.jpg

My thunder wolves with the gaps filled in on thier heads and some fur added to the riders. Pretty much had to on the storm shield, chipped a bit off while cutting it from the sprue.

IMG_20140917_152732_zpseb660d30.jpg

My first lot of grey hunters, ready to drop pod in, melt a vehicle and then fight thier way back out again.

IMG_20140917_152617_zpse54bdba8.jpg

And finaly my dreadnought, now all wolfed up and with a converted Helfrost cannon. Remember the days when we didnt have our own kit and it took actual work to convert our dudes to look like space wolves?

Anyways, also note my "banner thrall". This little guy is going to be 10pts spent to hold my home objective while the rest of my army moves in and cute them down in the midfeild, epecialy if he is behind something, then they have to actualy use a unit to go and dig him out.

My Astra Millitarum The 88th Airborne Horse Artillery. Enjoy the pics and the WiPs

That's a good looking Taurox. I'm glad someone in the Imperium has figured out how to put wheels on a truck. Figures it would be a regiment who take their sermons from large dogs and drop horse artillery from aircraft.

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts

Thought I would do an update on my work so far. Been buisy this last month and have painted all the regular infantry and my first pack of thunderwolves

IMG_20141013_154737_zpsad0b2b64.jpg

First my small pack of Grey hunters and wolf standard.

IMG_20141013_154747_zps10d8500a.jpg

Dont know how well you can see, but I am really proud of how this horn came out

IMG_20141013_154808_zps453320d6.jpg

Close up of the wolf standard

IMG_20141013_154922_zps83c30217.jpg

The thunder wolves

IMG_20141013_155022_zps81beab34.jpg

The other squad of Grey hunters. These guys cant hit with the melterguns, but its only been a couple of games.

IMG_20141013_155237_zpsff0f94d4.jpg

The Bloodclaws, note that the wolf guard has changed to be with power armour. In play testing the ability to over run is a godsend and I keep on failing 2+ saves anyway

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,644 posts

great stuff thumbsup.gif

thanks for showing your progress, i always like to see the start compared to the finished product!!

maybe use white or light blue paper behind your models when you take pics, may help the focus too...

look fwd to more stuff, keep it up !

cheers Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts

Thanks Mithrilforge, I shall try that for the future

Z00Z

Z00Z

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts
They came out really well! Congrats mate. Looking forward to more build and progress pics
[center][color=#ff0000][font='comic sans ms', cursive]"And they will know me by the trail of dead...."[/font][/color][/center]
[center][color=#ff0000][font='comic sans ms', cursive]My W.I.P. Thread:  [/font][/color][color=#00ffff][u][url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/296181-zoozs-wip-thread/]http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/296181-zoozs-wip-thread/[/url][/u][/color][/center]
[center] [/center]
[center][size=4][img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/unnamed.jpg][/size][/center]

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts
IMG_20141025_145742_zpsqrbdrecf.jpg

Just posting some objective markers for a tournament I will be entering in 3 weeks time. Not proud of the thousand son objectives as the gold is a little too runny. Any advice on how to fix that when painting gold on large areas?

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,807 posts

From the pictures, the gold looks spot on, at least for the helmet.

Have you diluted the gold at all, or is it just really runny from the pot? Is it in need of a good stir to get the medium mixed through it properly?

ETL 1v2

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts

Just runny from the pot. I shall try and give it a good stir when I paint some more tonignt

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,807 posts

Is the gold going streaky and needing multiple coats to get an even finish?

You could always paint the gold areas first then do the blue after to tidy it all up, it might save you having to go back and forth all the time if the stirring doesn't work.

Oh & I forgot to say, your Space Wolves are looking good! thumbsup.gif

ETL 1v2

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts

Aye true. And thankyou. More to come in the coming weeks. Painting up for a tournament.

Ironwulf

Ironwulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 256 posts

Just a suggestion for painting gold- Try base coating those gold areas with a dark brown color first (I like old Citadel "Scorched Brown," which is equal to Vallejo Game Color "Charred Brown.), then use multiple coats of your gold on top of that.

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts

Just a suggestion for painting gold- Try base coating those gold areas with a dark brown color first (I like old Citadel "Scorched Brown," which is equal to Vallejo Game Color "Charred Brown.), then use multiple coats of your gold on top of that.

I shall give it a try

PupLord

PupLord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 91 posts

Ironwolf and Dantay said it already, but as someone who hates painting gold but has an exessive amount of it in all my miniatures, I highly recommend mixing a base brown color (I use Mournfang Brown) with gold (about 60/40 ratio) and after that is dry then adding the pure gold layer. This already gives some natural shading/highlighting to the gold since the recesses should remain darker (browner) due to the gold paint properties (I overbrush by the way).

Also when painting I use Agrax Earthshade to shade my power armor so I always paint the gold parts at the very beginning and shade them simultaneously with the armor plates.

Nice looking wolves there. I am particularily fond of the Wolf Banner - it is very nice. I also like the Helfrost cannon conversion a lot. Where is the wolf head from?

And also it is nice to see creative uses for the Krom body bits!

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts
The wolf head is from the old wolf model. You can still get them with goblin wolf riders but I dont know if they come with the alternate heads

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts

Well been painting like mad to get everything done for the tournament in 2 weeks so I present to you what I will be using. Not great I know, but its all I own that can be feilded effectivly (Idealy I would not have the terminators but I lone wolf and anouther pack of grey hunters in a drop pod, but since I only have one drop pod its sadly not an option).

IMG_20141101_160559_zpsaw1y8mz3.jpg

The huntsparty itself

IMG_20141101_160834_zpsxdussrhk.jpg

IMG_20141101_160843_zpstcx5mlxt.jpg

IMG_20141101_160856_zps215ywp0e.jpg

The wolf lord himself, Howland Greywolfe

IMG_20141101_160907_zpszjhrfo6u.jpg

IMG_20141101_160916_zpst3eys4n6.jpg

IMG_20141101_160922_zpsirdttt7p.jpg

The rune preist Mogrim Morkisson

IMG_20141101_161012_zpssotbjgpe.jpg

The painted Terminators. Hrok Stormbringer's Storm Claws

IMG_20141101_160941_zps3ialfty8.jpg

My banner thrall. 10pt objective holder

Growler67

Growler67

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,121 posts

You could try mixing your gold with some bronze then after that dries, go over it again with just the gold.  Most bronze paints I get seem to run thick while yellows and golds run thin for some reason.  Somewhere between a 3 and 5 to 1 ration of gold to bronze to get the proper "feel" for your taste.  I also base coat with a neutral gray.

Just leave me some ammo, a little water.........and some chips if you got 'em.

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts
At the moment my gold is fine on small areas. Will go over my objective markers when I have the time. Who knows I may need it on my dreadnought or logan (as I intend to get him as his model is so cool)

Commander_Moustache

Commander_Moustache

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 298 posts

Just thought I would post my logan who I just finished last night.

IMG_20150202_124521_zps7egrdh1i.jpg

IMG_20150202_124451_zpsduoy6wpm.jpg

IMG_20150202_124432_zpsq6ypcjjl.jpg

IMG_20150202_124503_zpsgov8elnc.jpg

Hope you guys like him