The Ascendants WIP Astartes Cult Of Mars

Rags XII

I've been trying to gain a little more motivation when it comes to completing my army, So i'm hoping that a documentation and criticism will help give me that extra energy. Please comments of any shade are welcomed, if it's constructive and inspirational even better. SO the working Army name is "The Ascendants" half renegade half cult of mars Astartes.. and a WIP

Let me add that finalizing on colors, and names has always been quite a dilemma.. which you will notice if I keep this going smile.png

Some HQ, My Dread Priest First Chaplain, Libarian, and my labor of love to be Force Commander

IMG 0509

IMG 0511

IMG 0512

IMG 0508

IMG 0486

Force Commander

force commander

IMG 0479

Tac Squad sarcastically dubbed "PureBloods" do to their lack of augmentation, but heavy on the gear.. almost like some one doesn't want them coming back around for resupply to often

IMG 0505

IMG 0507

IMG 0500

IMG 0502

IMG 0496

IMG 0497

IMG 0498

IMG 0499

IMG 0495

IMG 0492

IMG 0493

IMG 0490

IMG 0491

An Imperial Knight Christened "Te Gargoyle" a bit of bits yet to be applied

Imperial Knight: Gargoyle

Helmet Conversion

Chain Blade Conversion

And a Razorback, which was actually my first figure painted since I've started painting over with some new knowledge

IMG 0513

IMG 0514

I also have WIP short story to kinda explain how these scrap marines have come about.. can add if this thread gains some interests

Looking good. I'm quite partial to your force commander's backpack. The extra vents really work well. I do have a nitpick with your Knight though. The buzzsaw wouldn't work in real life, since the housing doesn't cover the centre of the blade, so it won't spin in a uniform circle. It's a minor thing on a great looking model, but I think if you added something to cover the centre of the blade it would make it even better. I like what you did with the half faceplate. I haven't seen that done before.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

I really appreciate it..

@Brother Dallo haha i'm all for nit pick.. actually I fiddelled with that exact thing, tryin to center it and ended up globing glue.. so had a moment to step back.. never thought to change the center housing.. cheers man, putting it back onn the table tonight

a full day of work and I still feel motivated hobby.. really appreciate it

I really appreciate it..

@Brother Dallo haha i'm all for nit pick.. actually I fiddelled with that exact thing, tryin to center it and ended up globing glue.. so had a moment to step back.. never thought to change the center housing.. cheers man, putting it back onn the table tonight

a full day of work and I still feel motivated hobby.. really appreciate it

I'm eager to see what else you come up with. Some great stuff! And I'm stealing your cool sparking lightning effect for my Space Hulk minis, just so you know. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

@jefftibbets i'm a lil jealous of your space hulk purchase. of course after I decide no new purchases till I assemble what I got they announce the pre order for space hulk.. on the lightning, I recommend using dots. more dots to forks you want to extend, less to forks you want to fizzle. worked better for me the doing lines  or slashes. w/ dots you can change directios and go back.

ok from the table a straggler from the pure blood squad: I want every squad to have a small standard bearer and a servo skull marine(vox, battle reports, tactical readouts all fed into noospere).. independent characters and hq might have more then one servo skull just to them.. I think it'll look unique and flesh out the machine love of this army. combi weapon counters and objectives will aslo be crawlin with dif custom servo skulls.

IMG 0565

IMG 0569

IMG 0566

ok the next squad on table is from "the mechanized 5th co." a company known for being in the middle of some historical events to the chapter and to have embraced the union of flesh and tech.. I think thiese pics will better show the direction I'm trying to take the army.. command and sargeants will have the hoods and robes similar to cult of mars.. more like priests.. the bolter toters will resemble the iron hands look. but still have oath and prayer scrolls candles and other church stuff.

many still need some loose gears and icons added, and some extra cables and power lines added.

up first my fav.. tryin to have the servo skull look like hes help guiding his aim, that cable might be to big

IMG 0524

IMG 0525

IMG 0526

IMG 0527

My vox officer

IMG 0521

IMG 0522

IMG 0523

standard bearer minus standard

IMG 0531

IMG 0533

IMG 0532

marine marked by chaplainacy

IMG 0542

IMG 0544

IMG 0543

and the rest of the mechanized 5th.

IMG 0537

IMG 0538

IMG 0539

IMG 0540

IMG 0541

IMG 0529

IMG 0528

IMG 0519

IMG 0520

IMG 0518

IMG 0517

IMG 0516

theres one more, but his legs were being wonky

a few pics of the command squad coming along as well

IMG 0554

IMG 0555

IMG 0557

IMG 0558

IMG 0551

IMG 0553

IMG 0549

IMG 0550

and the start of a few sargeants.. assault and devastator. assault will have a storm shield similar to the cog toothed champion's

IMG 0545

IMG 0547

IMG 0548

sooo yea.. I really want that space hulk set with limited pieces.. but I've also promised myself no new purchases till I clear my plate.. so hopefully i'll be super hobbyist and pound out lots of stuff in time to by my box set

The Terminator Chaplain brought tears of joy to my eyes, followed quickly by crushing disappointment.  So many glorious gubs and inspired modelling, with undrilled barrels on his storm bolter!? :P

Some really lovely work here.  And as ever, orange always deserves kudos.  

Buuuut (there's always one) I see a flaw in the painting.  Mainly if the gray is all dirtied up, having pristine brightish orange highlights throws off the effect. The edges of the decals on the tank are glaring, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of the product that helps with that sort of thing.  Microsol or something...

Anyway, awesome conversions, good painting, and drill your damn barrels :lol:

@jefftibbets i'm a lil jealous of your space hulk purchase. of course after I decide no new purchases till I assemble what I got they announce the pre order for space hulk.. on the lightning, I recommend using dots. more dots to forks you want to extend, less to forks you want to fizzle. worked better for me the doing lines or slashes. w/ dots you can change directios and go back.

ok from the table a straggler from the pure blood squad: I want every squad to have a small standard bearer and a servo skull marine(vox, battle reports, tactical readouts all fed into noospere).. independent characters and hq might have more then one servo skull just to them.. I think it'll look unique and flesh out the machine love of this army. combi weapon counters and objectives will aslo be crawlin with dif custom servo skulls.

Thanks for the tip on the lightning, man. And yeah, I've gotten a couple games in and I'm not disappointed. :D

The Terminator Chaplain brought tears of joy to my eyes, followed quickly by crushing disappointment. So many glorious gubs and inspired modelling, with undrilled barrels on his storm bolter!? tongue.png

Some really lovely work here. And as ever, orange always deserves kudos.

Buuuut (there's always one) I see a flaw in the painting. Mainly if the gray is all dirtied up, having pristine brightish orange highlights throws off the effect. The edges of the decals on the tank are glaring, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of the product that helps with that sort of thing. Microsol or something...

Anyway, awesome conversions, good painting, and drill your damn barrels laugh.png

Microsol is correct, sir. It's not actually magic, and sometimes you still have to overpaint around it a little to get the decals to blend in. That's why it's usually a good idea to add decals right over your base coat. If you do it at the end, it can be tough to match the weathering and stuff on the main color.

I know its a noob question, but everytime I try to "quote" key something I can't paste the text into it..

sooo..

@lionofjudah actually its a reaver titan arm from warhammer 40k epic (2nd ed circa 1991 ?maybe?) the titan bits in epic fit 28mm marines very well.. cheers to my older brother for havin these kickin around

@firepower sooo true.. I even bpught the right mm drill bit, but everytim I seem to drill at an angle or something and butcher the barrelfurious.gif.. goin forward i'll give it a try but now i'm spooked to go back and mangle bolters.. especially w so many soldiers needing way more of my attentionwub.png

goin forward the decals are a fair point.. i'll look into microsol and my layering process.. I believe i'm goin to lighten up the grey a lil, and I've included a yellow wash to the orange so that adds some depth and ware to it.. always so spooked to try and weather the orange might steal the glory from it haha

and again thanks guys.. I've already gained a lot from your comments.. cheers

and @jefftibbets i'll def be looking out for your space hulk works

Hey sorry for the delay, didn't realize how long ago i had gotten transfers and contact was lost.  buut  He prints both white and clear transfers heres the ebay store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Order-specific-Warhammer-40K-logo-Decal-water-transfer-sheets-you-need-/281090793848?pt=Games_US&hash=item4172512178

and you can also touch base at this facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/Megabitsonline

and the sizing and colors and such you'll have to sort out with him

Shoot... these aren't printed in white. It said the white ones are printed on white paper. There's a big difference. The reason we got so excited is that actually printing white ink requires special printers that are very expensive.

This guy just prints the colored portion on white paper. I can do that myself. Thanks for the info, though!

You shouldn't buy from that guy considering he is just lifting the decal sheets we offer here for FREE. You can buy your own printer decal paper and make your own sheets without getting scammed by this loser. Please note I'm referring to the ebayer, not Rags. 

hey so goin forward, regarding the logo I posted before, if I want the black around it to be clear.. with a white skull cog, and a black inner cog, i'll need a better  printer that prints white onto clear sheets? if using this guys white i'd have to cut out the skull?  I guess I thought he'd print the white skull onto a clear transfer.. bummer.. I guess let me know if anyone has an angle on mr rinting this badge

annnd here's a few almost completed works

IMG 0559

IMG 0561

IMG 0562

IMG 0563

and my strom talon, only needing some green stuff and paint to finish the metal conversios

IMG 0570

IMG 0571

IMG 0573

IMG 0576

painting my force commander now, and moving along on converting some assault and devastator marines

hey so goin forward, regarding the logo I posted before, if I want the black around it to be clear.. with a white skull cog, and a black inner cog, i'll need a better  printer that prints white onto clear sheets? if using this guys white i'd have to cut out the skull?  I guess I thought he'd print the white skull onto a clear transfer.. bummer.. I guess let me know if anyone has an angle on mr rinting this badge

Yeah, basically. The kicker is those 'better printers' costs thousands and there's only one consumer manufacturer right now. If I had the money I'd get one and start a business printing custom decals. There are some scale model folks who do it but I feel like they're out of touch with wargamer's needs. Let me know if you ever find someone who's decent!

Archived