New blood seeking help! 1000 World Eaters

Hammer of Olympia

Hi guys

new to the heresy here,my main legion is Alpha Legion but since Forge World hasn't giving them some more love I plan to work on World Eaters which is the 2nd legion I love,thanks to Aaron Dembski-Bowden and the novel Betrayer.

So I have never played 30k before and I'm the only one in my gaming group to plan to plan 30k,so I mainly play Eldars in 30k and I think playing Eldar and World eater is very different in general so I ask for all your help and guidance.

My plan is to make a 1000 list,so I could expand that later to 1500/2000.So for 1000 points list what do y'all recommend for ? pretty confuse on what to pick from the army list since all my Forge World heresy books are still on the way.

Thanks!

PS.My name maybe Pertruabo but still,alpha legion in heart 

Welcome to the B&C, and welcome to the Horus Heresy!

Playing Eldar actually puts you a step ahead.  One of the best comparisons for the Space Marine Legion army is calling it "Craftworld: Space Marine."  The specialized nature of each of the squads and the way you have to use them together is very reminiscent of Eldar aspect warriors.

At 1000 points, you likely won't be using a Rite of War, so your HQ will probably be a Centurion.  Tacticals are the standard bread-and-butter troops choice, but depending on the models you like, how competitive vs fluffy you want your army, etc, you might want a squad of assault marines for your World Eaters.  Don't feel locked in by the whole 'crazy axe murderer' image of the World Eaters, though.  The Legions were large enough that they had formations of all types and could engage in all kinds of warfare.  You might want to check out the 1d4chan Space Marine Legion tactics article as well as our own tactica subforum while you're waiting for your books.

As all legions pick from the same space marine legion army list, you can pretty much do anything with any legion. Each legion (that has been done) does have a few legion specific units though, and some rules to help characterise them. For the world eaters, these are combat oriented units, but nothing says you have to take them. The legions were all so big that you can pretty much justify building any type of army for them that you would like, and that certainly includes shooty world eaters.

However, given all this, and your proclaimed love of the Alpha legion, there isn't a lot of reason that you couldn't start buying and painting some basic units for the Alphas already. They already have a ruleset in Extermination, and some shoulder pads. Although forgeworld haven't shown any alpha legion specific units yet (that I know of) I'd be surprised if they don't get something before Christmas and will likely all be out in the next year.

In a 1k list you won't really be able to take anything too fancy anyway, and you'll almost certainly want at least 20 tactical marines (maybe more) to fill out your troops choices. Starting with those, a nice HQ model (either a command squad or Preator set) and maybe a tank that you like, would ensure you wouldn't go too wrong until their shiny new units arrive. Of course World Eaters are still a get idea!

What kind of army were you hoping to build (at the 1k level) for each force?

As all legions pick from the same space marine legion army list, you can pretty much do anything with any legion. Each legion (that has been done) does have a few legion specific units though, and some rules to help characterise them. For the world eaters, these are combat oriented units, but nothing says you have to take them. The legions were all so big that you can pretty much justify building any type of army for them that you would like, and that certainly includes shooty world eaters.

However, given all this, and your proclaimed love of the Alpha legion, there isn't a lot of reason that you couldn't start buying and painting some basic units for the Alphas already. They already have a ruleset in Extermination, and some shoulder pads. Although forgeworld haven't shown any alpha legion specific units yet (that I know of) I'd be surprised if they don't get something before Christmas and will likely all be out in the next year.

In a 1k list you won't really be able to take anything too fancy anyway, and you'll almost certainly want at least 20 tactical marines (maybe more) to fill out your troops choices. Starting with those, a nice HQ model (either a command squad or Preator set) and maybe a tank that you like, would ensure you wouldn't go too wrong until their shiny new units arrive. Of course World Eaters are still a get idea!

What kind of army were you hoping to build (at the 1k level) for each force?

Hi kor'vesh

for world eaters,im planning to bring rampagers or destroyers while getting them as fast as they can to Close combat,that is my main plan.Cause after playing Eldar for a long time,my close combat is getting rusty. but bringing red butchers seems fun too

For Alphas,I'm thinking to bring jetbikes and heap loads of jetbikes to go fast like my Eldars,their Legion tactics allow for a quick tactical flexibility,or maybe a blitzkrieg type of warfare like combination of infantry and vehicles.

That's all just the basic knowledge for legions that I know 

Also for making Alphas

I dont really like the Shoulderpads that Forgeworld makes,it looks weird compared to the artwork like in Sedition's gate which the legion bears the image of the letter A instead of snakes.Just my opinion though,can't wait for them to release the Lerneans terminators,Efrit squad,and of crourse Alpharius himself! (or Omegon,which one makes you sleep better in night.)

I thought about getting small WE detachment myself, here is my plan:

- Angron, obviously.

- Red Buchers in LR with melta protection.

- Buy 20 or 30 assault marines, magnetize their jump packs, to be able to take them either as assault or as tactical marines.

- Some consul, chaplain or apothecary.

Archived