Help against the Space Puppies **Batrep posted!**

Acebaur

You lack anything to effectively deal with rock units.  Namely Wolf-Bros.  And from what it sounds like...that is one of his main units.  Then again, most of my advice would be contrary to what it seems you're trying to do with your list.  lol

Well what would you suggest? And why would it be contrary to what I'm trying to achieve?

One of my new strategies is going to be to use the Sternguard to weaken the TWC. Doing some math, they will average 1.5 dead TWC per full volley of shooting. 

I'm honestly at a loss as to what to do to effectively take down the TWC. He runs like 3-4 SS's so even stuff that punches their armor is going to have trouble. So I was thinking to saturate them with fire and make him roll as many saves as possible. Even Hammernators will have trouble I think because of their SS's. But I can try some out in the LRC instead of the crusaders(I'd still take the Crusader as a DT for a troop unit though to get OS)

I meant that you are lacking any kind of redundancy at all.  That makes it easy to eliminate any particular threats your opponent fears, especially now that they know about what you're going to run.  My suggestions:

1) More redundancy.  Especially for Vindis.

2) I know why you put the Stormraven in there (late-game objective grabs, as well as AT)...but Stormtalons are far superior in the kill department.  With as many points as your opponent has in their Wolf-Bros rock units, they will have a difficult time removing them.

3) If no double Vindis, take an Imperial Knight.  They aren't invincible, but it will definitely deter your opponent from certain portions of the board.

4) Drop Pod Crusader squad feels out of place, honestly.

You speak wise words as always Master Laeroth.  

I agree about the vindies, I was actually looking at trying to fit another one in for some redundancy there.

Point taken about the Raven vs Talons, but sadly I do not own any Talons yet so the Raven will have to do.(unless you think another unit entirely will be better). I also don't have a Knight, so I'll go with double vindies. 

I put that crusader squad in the drop pod simply so that I would have 3 pods so two would come in on first turn(usually Sternguard and Ironclad). 

Ace, what about swapping the Crusader Squad for a Tactical Squad in a Drop Pod with Meltagun, Sergeant with Combi-Melta and the Drop Pod with a Death Wind Launcher.

That way you shave off some points, you get 2 Alpha Strike anti-tank shots to make the Vindi/Lascannons work easier and the Death Wind gives infantry hell.

Also, if you go 2nd and the SW Dreadnought comes down 1st you'd have something on your turn to knock it out.

Ace, what about swapping the Crusader Squad for a Tactical Squad in a Drop Pod with Meltagun, Sergeant with Combi-Melta and the Drop Pod with a Death Wind Launcher.

That way you shave off some points, you get 2 Alpha Strike anti-tank shots to make the Vindi/Lascannons work easier and the Death Wind gives infantry hell.

Also, if you go 2nd and the SW Dreadnought comes down 1st you'd have something on your turn to knock it out.

Yeah that's not a bad idea, to make them an alpha strike unit like the sternguard. So if the heavy flamers are not needed but tank busting is they can drop in with the veterans.

Yeah one thing I was considering was a way to pop the Marshal Orbital Bombardment on turn one before he gets in the LRC. Of course this will most likely only be possible if I go first or fit him with some TDA

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got another game against my friend this thursday and based on the points available for my HQ I was thinking of switching him from AA, Relic blade, and SE to TDA, LC, and SE. Exact same points, nearly identical chances to wound his TWC and because I reroll misses to wound more chances to rend. Exact same points cost. Thoughts?

Oh and he can cast his OB after moving so thats a bonus too.

I'm going to use the one in the link(called Spear Tip) as I've only run it once and want to give it a few games to see how it functions over time. Last time I murdered Murderfang with melta, shouldn't be hard to do the same again ;)

I plan to hit him with as many vindy shells as possible and potentially start the game with an orbital bombardment, but we'll have to see how deployment goes

What were the results of this?

Well it started off good. He went first and charged across the battlefield as I expected and dropped his dreads in my face. He got lucky and immobilized a vindy. My sternguad dropped into the backfield and shot up his TWC causing several wounds. The dreanought also came in and got in the face of his troops. My vindies killed a couple of TWC as well. We both scored two points on the first turn. Then I got boned by the cards getting 3 that I couldn't achieve. Meanwhile he kept drawing stuff that he could do.

I jumped out with the crusaders and charged the remnants of one of his TWC units with their numbers dwindled (killed one with a flamer shooting before the charge (laugh.png) Then my dice failed me. My Marhsal laid down the pain with his thunder hammer only to have shot after shot deflect off of his TWC sgt's SS. So what should have been a short couple of rounds of slaughter of the remander of his first TWC turned into a stalemate. My luck did not change the rest of the game (which we called when he had about 8 points to my 2) Though my Storm Eagle(running in Raven config) achieved it's second kill in as many games with a single volley against one of his fliers.

Reflecting I didn't see many tactical mistakes, just that TWC are probably the most overpowered units in the game. They have no downsides. I'm not really feeling the vindies anymore, against vehicles and heavy infantry they simply don't cause enough wounds reliably to be effective enough.

So I'm looking at what I can replace them with in this list(though it could be just that they suck against wolves), but not sure what direction to take.

Laeroth lives! Our king of competition and MSU lives!

Of course I do. I've been posting. :) Last couple weeks I've not been posting huge amounts though, because I'm at training for my work (and the next 4).

What were the results of this?

Well it started off good. He went first and charged across the battlefield as I expected and dropped his dreads in my face. He got lucky and immobilized a vindy. My sternguad dropped into the backfield and shot up his TWC causing several wounds. The dreanought also came in and got in the face of his troops. My vindies killed a couple of TWC as well. We both scored two points on the first turn. Then I got boned by the cards getting 3 that I couldn't achieve. Meanwhile he kept drawing stuff that he could do.

I jumped out with the crusaders and charged the remnants of one of his TWC units with their numbers dwindled (killed one with a flamer shooting before the charge (laugh.png) Then my dice failed me. My Marhsal laid down the pain with his thunder hammer only to have shot after shot deflect off of his TWC sgt's SS. So what should have been a short couple of rounds of slaughter of the remander of his first TWC turned into a stalemate. My luck did not change the rest of the game (which we called when he had about 8 points to my 2) Though my Storm Eagle(running in Raven config) achieved it's second kill in as many games with a single volley against one of his fliers.

Reflecting I didn't see many tactical mistakes, just that TWC are probably the most overpowered units in the game. They have no downsides. I'm not really feeling the vindies anymore, against vehicles and heavy infantry they simply don't cause enough wounds reliably to be effective enough.

So I'm looking at what I can replace them with in this list(though it could be just that they suck against wolves), but not sure what direction to take.

Hmmm....the dice will do that occasionally. The only real thing you can do with those 260 points that fits the current list is 2x Talons. Or if you can find another 40 points someplace, you'll be able to squeeze in a sizeable squad of TH terminators.

I feel like TDA has lost some of it's power in this edition. I've read a lot about how they are no longer worth the extra points. Has anyone found this to be the case? Or are they a still as effective as ever?

As for what to swap the vindies for, I was thinking a couple of LS Typhoons and maybe a cheap Assault squad with flamers. I dunno though, I feel like I haven't given the vindies a fair chance. sigh, too many choices! :lol:

For me my assualt terminators usually kill whatever they assualt the problem is that they usually kill to fast meaning I'm left dead in the water when it's my oppenents turn. Also for me that 2+ isn't even there like the last game I had I got hit by the hell drake( who does what he pleases) and I figured no big deal I got hit by ap3 it probably won't hurt I roll 4 ones. My vindicator hits or misses one day he takes 300 points worth of models next day he gets by a strength D vortex hit from an ork.

Archived