15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

• 1 month later...

So I managed to snag 5 deathsworn and Hvarl.

While I really like the Hvarl model there are a few things I am not so keen on.

One thing is I always imagined his axe, Hearthsplitter, to be a big axe, so wanted to do him with a 2 handed axe.

So how to do that and retain the heavy bolter?

I am thinking some kind of rig....

So these are very very rough ideas just now.

WofMLIQ.jpg

t5tKeSn.jpg

Go over the shoulder and put a back rig on? If this does not work out the pack could be used for a Praevian

Or do I go under arm and have it suspensor mounted, so he can grab it when needed and push it back when wielding his axe?

fPI7VaC.jpg

lWtHvN0.jpg

These are early days and super rough, but would like thoughts and ideas on if it is possible to do, and ideas to do it... Am I on the right track?

Thanks for looking

Grflur.

That is an idea that I had not thought about.

Personally I prefer the aesthetic of him gripping the axe as his moniker is the Head taker.

I will try to mock something up if I have a spare arms suitably positioned.

You never know it might just work.

Thanks

Edited by Dantay VI

I think it’s a badass concept! To me the over the shoulder looks odd I think just due to the size. The suspensor idea where he can just grab it is so Aliens smart gun I insist you do it....

My only note there would be to maybe chopping the robotic arm to change the angle so the gun is level and maybe wrapping “around” in a way that’s more natural and less stiff.

Edited by FearPeteySodes

When you say wrapping around, do you mean that the arm should be at waist height and come around his side?

I had considered it being it mounted on a vertical plane so it retracted away behind him to give him a clearer arc for swinging the axe, but there is merit to mounting it horizontally.

Edited by Dantay VI

The servo-arm-mounted heavy bolter looks cool, but it may get in the way when Hvarl is wielding his axe. I think the most practical option is to have the heavy bolter be mounted over Hvarl's head, in a rotating turret, i.e., like a Cyclone missile launcher. You may retain the servo-arm to reload the carapace-mounted heavy bolter.

Bah sorry for the delay. Wrapped around like having the arm coming down and around positioning the gun level at the hip giving the servo arm some curve. I’m sort of struggling to put it in words, but think aliens smartgun.

Bah sorry for the delay. Wrapped around like having the arm coming down and around positioning the gun level at the hip giving the servo arm some curve. I’m sort of struggling to put it in words, but think aliens smartgun.

I like the idea, but as Hvarl wields a two-handed melee weapon, the smartgun will get in the way unless it's also a two-handed melee weapon, i.e., if the smartgun has a power bayonet. (I thought of arming Honor Guards heavy bolters with scythe blades mounted to their extended barrels- manmade Maugetars, though their wielders will angrily deny the xeno weapon's design inspired that of their own.)

Ok how about going all out and having 2 heavy bolters that are on arms attached to the backpack and extend at waist height either side of him, that keeps the balance right as to me having a heavy bolter on one side, would cause balance issues and yeah I know SM are superhuman etc but I think sometimes the laws of gravity need to come into play so when you look at a model it looks like (so often I see folks modelling a spear that is 3 times the height of the figure and although yeah a SM could wield it, no way could they do it well).

Gauntlets of Ultrimar.

Replace the twin Boltguns with dual Heavy Bolters.

Put a Dreadnought Fenrisian Great Axe in his hands. (No, maybe not, but still, it'd be awesome!)

If not a Dreadnought Fenrisian Great Axe, maybe take a Heavy Thunder Hammer and replace the head with a massive double bladed axe head?

Meh, dunno.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah okay, so coming diagonally down? I think I can see where you are coming from.

I like the idea, but as Hvarl wields a two-handed melee weapon, the smartgun will get in the way unless it's also a two-handed melee weapon, i.e., if the smartgun has a power bayonet. (I thought of arming Honor Guards heavy bolters with scythe blades mounted to their extended barrels- manmade Maugetars, though their wielders will angrily deny the xeno weapon's design inspired that of their own.)

It would which is why I was thinking a servo arm system which pulled the weapon "back" and tucked it out of the way when not in use...

Ok how about going all out and having 2 heavy bolters that are on arms attached to the backpack and extend at waist height either side of him, that keeps the balance right as to me having a heavy bolter on one side, would cause balance issues and yeah I know SM are superhuman etc but I think sometimes the laws of gravity need to come into play so when you look at a model it looks like (so often I see folks modelling a spear that is 3 times the height of the figure and although yeah a SM could wield it, no way could they do it well).

In the heresy, heavy weapons such as the heavy bolter can be fitted with suspensor webs which make them assault weapons.

Twin heavy bolters would give a very Warp Spider Exarch feel.... 

Gauntlets of Ultrimar.

Replace the twin Boltguns with dual Heavy Bolters.

Put a Dreadnought Fenrisian Great Axe in his hands. (No, maybe not, but still, it'd be awesome!)

If not a Dreadnought Fenrisian Great Axe, maybe take a Heavy Thunder Hammer and replace the head with a massive double bladed axe head?

Meh, dunno.

A bit on the big side :)

So while trying to work out what to do, I decided to work on a command squad, Hvarl's Headtakers so to speak.

As Hvarl is in Tartaros plate, so his squad will do the same,so decided to use the DeathGuard DeathShroud as a base.

Also decided t use the scythes, as big executioners axes.

A lot are warped and will get straightened out, ear days yet.

GTfNRsc.jpg

sGt02X5.jpg

Dhq2dt9.jpg

Jp94uv1.jpg

RYQ6c9I.jpg

GBZJeyd.jpg

6PwCNHJ.jpg

TJRqnAk.jpg

rHSpwnd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/V1M0XeY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/APimpZq.jpg

Also started faffing around with the Praetor model.

Hate what they did with his lower half

WBfMQbI.jpg

So began attacking him

http://i.imgur.com/NyV66ne.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KRwaZmW.jpg

Fun times ahead!!

Sir, I'm going to have to issue a fire hazard citation because those terminators are hot hot hot! Great work as always brother 

Looking good Danny! I wish I had something creative to say or offer up, but you knocked those posts out of the park.

Really like those terminators.

Great stuff as usual bud.

Having serious axe envy.

Looking forwards to seeing more.

Cheers,

GM

on the praetor isn't it?

I double checked that it wasn't a dodgy model, as mine was an ebay purchase, and my friends was from FW. He said his was the same.

There is still a ton of Yes it is a bit bad grinding to do on him. Planning to remove his head and cut the right arm at the elbow.

Plan is to have him facing forward and rotate the right arm close to 90 degrees, a bit like fw Abaddon. will also re-do the fur.

The Deathshroud are phenomenal models and I am considering repeating the trick again, but making 2 of them Rune priests. I need to see if Kva Who was Divided wore power armour or terminator armour, as I could use 2 Tartaros as his body guard.

FYI, the black head is Hvarls and it looks good, but my favourite is the primaris head with the mohican

THe praetor is  bit shocking. I double checked that it wasn't a dodgy model, as mine was an ebay purchase, and my friends was from FW. He said his was the same.

There is still a ton of Yes it is a bit bad grinding to do on him. Planning to remove his head and cut the right arm at the elbow.

I am not joking, I've picked up a set of wolf guard terminator torsos for that very same purposes

I kow they are absolutely ace.

I am considering another full set but doing 2 as Kva Who is Divided's bodyguard. Wish I could remeber if Kva wore power or terminator armour. With a few staffs, I could easily see some being Rune Priests.

• 1 month later...

You know, because those are Space Wolves I don't think those axes are big enough. :wink: :Elite:

Well, I could always make some with Great Frost Axes.

I am being a bit of a hobby butterfly and jumping from project to project, so much to do.

So in order to get a bit of practice in with a brush (more than 6 months since I last raised a paint brush, maybe September last year?) I decided to work on some Deathsworn and a moritat.

You can see where I have been a bit out of practice, especially on the gold of the shoulderpads
What colour should I make the grille on the moritat?

Iron more or less done.

Axes need a lot more work on the silvers, before trying to make them loo more frosty.

Then reds, leathers and bronze before tidy up on the armor and making it look black.

What do you think?

Any hints and tips more than welcome.

Thanks for looking :)

GSncAsI.jpg

qj9w87g.jpg

zTYFh0J.jpg

bUneo4f.jpg

u9PXTzf.jpg

wDwsKQ2.jpg

ySd3wD8.jpg

41ahcYg.jpg

U2Oqkj6.jpg

FbYF68p.jpg

ZCaDJXt.jpg

cRc0nZL.jpg

5bmnXpK.jpg

YGm8Tgp.jpg

FgD9r6U.jpg

kUj8OeP.jpg

pxX30qU.jpg

w6RikrO.jpg

I get what you are saying and appreciate the critique.

I plan do some spots of white to finish highlighting the helm. I started the lenses too ark also, I started at dark angels green. Will redo them startig with goblin green and go up to white with a waywatcher green glaze to get more of a glow.

I haen't really started the reds yet, so have no fears with that. I also plan to use red on the knees and give them wulfen pack markings.

great work! i agree tho that they seem a bit flat. maybe pick out some of the bolts, rivets and spikes to add some visual interest

Oh yes, that is still to come. :)

The golds, you could wash with agrax, pool nuln around the rivits, re-highlight with the base gold to make it pop. Frosty silver, mix a blue with boltgun, nuln wash, boltgun highlight, maybe gulliman blue glaze on the highlight for really frosty silver. A really thin glaze of stright nuln on the grey would blend the grey well. What you are doing with the purple ink is different, I like it. Do a spot touch up with grey, you got the metallic's a bit on the grey. Really like the conversions.