15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

Thank you BadgersinHills

So for Ragnars armour, do I use the same highlighting method I used for the test models, or do I vary the shipping more with adding some rhinox hide?

Thanks

Danny

Think I went a bit overboard on chipping Ragnars armour.... Not sire how to fix it, anybody got any ideas?

OCQrx9B.jpg

FDhqOEt.jpg

tZnrqlq.jpg

I shortened the crozius on the wolf priest

LnOyCDF.jpg

Kinda keeping the Gandalf Rune Priest staff simple.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!

cIfDIxN.jpg

Switched swords for axes on the assault intercessors, the Fyre slayer axes are perfectly scaled for the Primaris.

XuckafF.jpg

Got this far with Russ, but might strip and start again. When I gloss varnished him for the oils, it wiped out all the highlighting with the airbrush and made the armour quite flat. Want to re-try without the gloss varnish to see if it would look better.

w1PK49A.jpg

Don't worry about Ragnar... he just butchered his way through all of Ghaz's best and 'ardest Boyz.

You like like that after such an ordeal.

Ulrik, Njal and others sure should look more pristine.

Not Ragnar.

Ragnar gets into first row and doesn't care after that.

You did good.

Generally it's good to see you active again - gives me new Motivation to work on my stuff.

• 2 months later...

Thank you Bjorn,

I have been trying to work on my backlog a bit.

I have been learning a bit about how to paint leather, like on my Phobos Rune Priest.

U4Jt6aA.jpg

I also did a bit of work on Haldor and the phobos lieutenant. I

j3H4FTa.jpg

I used the paint scheme from Lil Legends, howl of yarrant tutorial, but with a small twist. I really pushed the highlights way beyond what I would usually do, to the point of taking it almost back to pure white and allowing the oil washes to pull it back in again.

Its come out slightly differently to Ragnar and a few others, but I like it, its a nice balance between the grey blue of the 40K WOlves and the dark grey of my 30K wolves.

While I have like doing my 30K wolves, the grey is very dark, almost the pre-heresy slate grey of the Word Bearers, so I like this new grey.

I am just scared of how much I might have to repaint.

wydQjqw.jpg

nueaAdu.jpg

w1PK49A.jpg

OIYkI2h.jpg

vDJuZGd.jpg

Edited by Dantay VI

• 1 month later...

Well, work got me doing nightshifts, so I have finished my second stint of 3 weeks of night shifts, which has left me totally de-motivated to paint.

To be fair it is the lowest confidence wise I have been with the hobby for a long time

To top it off, my rig picked up a few cases of covid. Fortunately it looks like it was caught quickly so it didnt spread far.

I have had negative results on the past 3 tests, but I have to isolate at home for 10 days.

Not going to see my family for a month :sad.:

So I have set Russ and my other projects to one side for now.

I snuck into the garage and pulled out my part finished airbrushed models and decided to start putting the decals on, before I go forward with painting and oils.

IZdrfaW.jpg

240kXuE.jpg

a2MTKPR.jpg

R5Tdagg.jpg

dOLjBS3.jpg

ALqK53q.jpg

I went with the white wolf symbols on the infiltrators and recon marines, these are the old school decals and I really like them.

The White Wolves are from book 7 Inferno where there is an image of a Space wolf with a white wolf called Fimbulvitr, which is the symbol for the scout elements of the Wolves, those touched by Lokyar

The yellow is because I ran low on white wolves, I will either overpaint them white, or keep them yellow and say it is in place of gold to avoid all the blingy shininess. Not sure, what do you think?

I love the FW transfers, but really liking the old school decals, the only thing with the FW decals, is that the red is so dark.

0UqtYW4.jpg

I do not have enough old school decals for everything, so do I get more or do I mix and match them, or just go with the FW transfers?

Let me know what you think

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Dantay VI

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Harald, yes I could.

A wee bit of an update on things.

Did some more work on Primaris side of things

This guy, 

http://i.imgur.com/sn1XHLY.jpg

Is now this guy.

XSQNbiQ.jpg

G3ucCvI.jpg

Still a bit more to do but coming along nicely I think.

Made a start on my hounds of Morkai.

Not that impressed with the reiver kit and the lack of variation it will offer

PHtyYiD.jpg

xDG6mqC.jpg

q1WJcSm.jpg

frEbVwC.jpg

j4NCQYy.jpg

kvz3i3H.jpg

They are very generic just now, but plans are afoot to wolf them up

Also got a Wolf Priest on bike.

The mace head is Horus' World Breaker head with all the spikes cut off. I didnt wreck a FW model for it, the model got smashed up a bit a while back by one of my boys.

3FG6adb.jpg

And not to be contenet with that,I have been fussing over my true first borns.. My heresy Wolves.

They have been sitting gathering dust, as other models bumped ahead of them in the queue. Mainly because, I knew wat I wanted to do with them, but I did not know how to go about doing it.

Finally I made a start. I like the cataphractii bits, but I hate the chainfist, it just looks stupid and puny, so went with 40K chainfists, or big chain weapons which can proxy as chainfists. I also did a mix of catapharctii and 40K claws, both to me look wicked cool. I also tried to balance out the leader so he can be 40K legal, so the unit is not totally chainfist and claw.

Still got lots to do, such as the fur pelts etc, but that will be next (maybe in a month or 2 depending on work)

MnvmMzj.jpg

1VCZUrk.jpg

aUkXZzE.jpg

rSngADo.jpg

KCCs4cM.jpg

m0ZZcPZ.jpg

xumHgLF.jpg

0Rol2jG.jpg

7FnvvHn.jpg

XNVVzxJ.jpg

YpGtPRF.jpg

XekQdLW.jpg

oJtOzwF.jpg

tAoozkH.jpg

Lastly is the Praetor.

I really do not know what is going on with this, it has sat for ages and I am mystified as to what to make of him.

I ground out the cloak, so that it wasnta stupid thick chunk of resin.

I ground out the solid resin block from between his legs and in the process damaged the left leg. This will get fixed by making a cast of the armour biat and extending it, plus positioning a pelt to hide the damage.

I ground off the pelt over his shoulders, so this will get re-done.

Removed and replaced the head

I also rotated the arms, now I can't tell if he is trying to keep his balance to avoid falling over or has juscarried out a big lateral swing with his paragon blade to disembowel/ decapitate someone/thing.

But the biggest thing for me is the left hand and the axe... It just looks wrong, especially how he has it gripped so high up. I did originallyhave a knife in his hand blade pointing backwards, but used the knife for a moritat/ vigilator model.

boudhiz.jpg

PjcVjOz.jpg

ENZm8nn.jpg

0xDoAJR.jpg

I really need help, to work out what to do with him to make the model make sense (appear more in a natural/ fluid pose) or if I should just cut my losses and consign him to the bits bin. Please, any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for looking

• 3 weeks later...

So I had another look at the Praetor, I really was not keen on the axe.

It looked like he was holding it in the wrong place and also the handle alignment seemed off.

I liked the rune covered knife that he had before, but I put it on another model. In the end I chopped the knife off of a reiver and re-angled the sword.

What do you think?

VU1IBkf.jpg

Evn52Ym.jpg

QsAXR8Y.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bio-stripped Russ & Hvarl.

Been a long time follower of Lil Legend on Patreon.

He is doing a masterclass on Russ & Magnus, so decided to restart my models and follow his class.

Once this is done the Lion will be next

This is just the start using the airbrush. Way brighter than I am used to but gonna trust in the process.

His patreon is well worth signing up for.

Also made up way too much paint so hit some leviathans and deimos predators

UjycdvU.jpg

upLL6q9.jpg

ekaBSBD.jpg

ij5LGXH.jpg

nTnWvwH.jpg

6gC2V1j.jpg

kOHkMpa.jpg

fSFdv8v.jpg

nl4L1Uq.jpg

jvFwayU.jpg

e6GH73f.jpg

LopeEyI.jpg

yilmNFT.jpg

izuZxSp.jpg

IIsZFge.jpg

W377k5c.jpg

Really like how the airbrushed guys are turning out - Russ, Hvarl, and the Leviathan(s) look really cool, but my advice would be “Don’t repaint!”  You can always come up with a satisfying story as to why the paint is a different color on your guys, and honestly they all look very cool in what they have.  And now I have yet another example of how awesome my guys could look if I would just invest in an airbrush.

That is a lot of guns on your son’s gold Wolf Incursors!  I’ll follow Triszin’s question - how are you wanting his gold to turn out?

I really like the look of your Hounds with the Reiver heads - I think I’ll be using the Chaplain’s skull idea for my Sgt in the future, it looks really good the way you have it, because I’m going the same route as you and giving my Bike Wolf Priest a wolf skull helm as is proper.

The fur looks like it’s been carved off your Terminators - by choice, or did something happen?  What are you planning to use in its place?

• 2 months later...

Slowly but surely with Russ, keep flitting between him and the Night Lords

LDhjdAt.jpg

7y7YyTz.jpg

PBu0sTa.jpg

qDx6oJi.jpg

so what type of gold are you aiming for? do you want a sigmar style gold?

I thought my son wanted to go for a brighter yellower gold, but luckily he really likes the more washed out look for his models

Really like how the airbrushed guys are turning out - Russ, Hvarl, and the Leviathan(s) look really cool, but my advice would be “Don’t repaint!”  You can always come up with a satisfying story as to why the paint is a different color on your guys, and honestly they all look very cool in what they have.  And now I have yet another example of how awesome my guys could look if I would just invest in an airbrush.

That is a lot of guns on your son’s gold Wolf Incursors!  I’ll follow Triszin’s question - how are you wanting his gold to turn out?

I really like the look of your Hounds with the Reiver heads - I think I’ll be using the Chaplain’s skull idea for my Sgt in the future, it looks really good the way you have it, because I’m going the same route as you and giving my Bike Wolf Priest a wolf skull helm as is proper.

The fur looks like it’s been carved off your Terminators - by choice, or did something happen?  What are you planning to use in its place?

Yes, I have decided not to bother repainting, With having a few methods, I can use the way I do Russ for more HQ or special models, where as the way I have done the Wolves in the past is a good bit quicker, so can be used for rank and file..

I also have a third method for vehicles, so a little variation would be fun.

I also looked at the sheer amount of models, and would rather sell off and start again than strip and repaint them all

As for the gold, i the end my son likes he really desaturated look, the guns are.... Ridiculous, but I do not think my son is all that serious on warhammer and it  makes for a nice father-son time, to just do stuff together. He has designated the gunner as "cub" while the gunslinger beside him is "Eagle"

The fur will be scu;pted back in on the terminators, provided I an find some time to do it.

I spent the last month stripping and repainting all the wood froames for the external windows and doors and then all the fencing around the house. Got loads more to do, as my wife wants to sell the house, so got to get it prepped to go on te market. 

Besides that there have been a number of family issues to resolve, hopefully though I will manage some down time where I can just chill and paint

Oh I will :D Taken me all year to get this far with Russ

Did some more work on Russ. Snapped the head off for now. Not sure if I stuck it on wrong or lost a piece for the back of his head as  in the current position, there is a massive blank spot at the back of his head.

Decided to keep the head off until I get him on his base

cc6Smix.jpg

NOObQMK.jpg

4bw00LL.jpg

au0mjll.jpg

Lighting is really poor in my cabin, its either really dark for photos or way too bright like this lower one.

YUsST0G.jpg

• 3 months later...

Welp, not toomuch hs happened in the past 3-4 months.

Family has consumed all my time petty much and I haven't felt much like doing any hobby work.

Also with Russ, that model is on the verge of getting binned.

Blasted sword snapped, knife under the arm has broke, I re-attached it, but now it doesn't sit right, then the knife handle snapped off, the stupid axe head keeps coming off..... I have had about enough with it.

On theplus side, I have decided to run an Imperium subscription, and I am splitting it with my son, he wants the marines so I get everything else :)

So we are working through the issues, I have doubled up on a few so I have padded out my own primaris army a little.

IcfaY6d.jpg

rgeiSES.jpg

TDG4B8c.jpg

I am also looking at doing some hounds of Morkai, so I got some reivers and built up the legs and torso's. For the first I ordered a grey slayer torso upgrade and a few heads from online, plus had some torso's from years back laying around in bits boxes.

2557FBI.jpg

efEFf6W.jpg

ty5i0v7.jpg

H0AHmUT.jpg

76pXP9O.jpg

K5q49FL.jpg

8ryxFwI.jpg

y74ENqv.jpg

YyvuQEg.jpg

2vOijRH.jpg

The biggest issue I have is getting the height and thickness to match up.

Where the torsos now sit matches the height of a standard reiver, however where the torso joins the legs, the reiver is fractionally bulkier, so I am trying to work out how to match it up better. It's not like I can put grenades or pouches on it, as it is above belt line.

Any thoughts?, 

Also I wanted to use axes, but the grey slayer axes are for the pistol hand, so it would mean using the slayer pistols (which I would modify slightly, seems a faff, but might work, although the axes look a little "small"

Will see. I am going to have a few weeks to think about it, as I am going offshore in a few days

Morkai hounds look good so far.

As to your dilemma, I used a Grey slayer torso for a reiver conversion a few years ago. I removed the belt from the reiver legs and added a spacer to the torso to replace the belt, then filled in between the 2 with some green stuff. I hid the mess with pouches, grenades etc.

48725419187_5c7d35d37f_o.jpg9E092384-1958-45D5-97F1-39B6496F3A26

He is a tad shorter than standard Primaris but it’s not immediately noticeable.

48725243076_de172ccc46_o.jpgE16D69BD-4C32-461A-9C99-5DCF64B5FADF

I’d drop your torsos down to the existing belt level, use some green stuff to make the joins smooth, then hide with accessories.

I’ve also used Grey slayer axes on a few of my Primaris wolves. I’ve found left hands holding guns and converted them to hold the gun version I need. Your idea to use the slayer pistols would probably work.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Hvitr & Bjorn

I have had a bit of a play about, tried streamlining the waists a little and getting some arms done.

A bit peeved at how limited the kit allows you to be with the posing.

Just really got to decide if I want to go with FW or plastic reiver heads, now. Leaning more towards the FW heads.

Although I do have an order of Deathsworn on the way, so could maybe use their helmets instead, what do you think?

May also swap a few knives for axes, such as on the pack leader, as I feel the angle of the knife is a little awkward

Et1e4Ag.jpg

VY1TdOr.jpg

mbNYJPa.jpg

H8dBYs3.jpg

Llpvclk.jpg

eZH6H71.jpg

5iq4m7z.jpg

0ZQOF66.jpg

CkhlCZR.jpg

i7eGghE.jpg

0dN0KsG.jpg

KpOojfJ.jpg

ci1vEVZ.jpg

Also trying to work out what to do with this guy, any thoughts?

QpLMKQ9.jpg

MCWyau7.jpg