15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

Thanks Megavolt. I do not have agrax, but I do have vallejo oiled earth, but it is a bit redder. I usually use seraphim sepia, so might do that and then come back in with the final highlight gold (stormhost silver and vallejo polished gold).

For the Deathsworn armour, I have deliberately highlighted up to dawnstone, with te pan that I will knock it all back to black with some thinned back wash. As for the weapons, typically I will start with vallejo black metal and work up to strormhost silver, I then use guillemann blue over the top and edge with stormhost. Finally I do a gloss varnish. I like it but the only issue is it looks shiny, but not metallic. This time around I tried some super waered down electric blue and white in crevices and around skulls o the blades to make it look like the power is bleeding out of them int the blade, then Guillemann blue. I took a small drop of stromhost and heavily diluted it down in the gloss varnish, soI get metallic flecks on the blade. Looks wet but also metallic which is good. By and large it was successful.

I have actually written down  yur suggestions as i have a rft more models to do, so your tips may come in very handy

FPS. I redid the helmes as too dark and muddy, rdid the lenses and they are much brighter, quite a nice glow, even if the photos do not pick it up, also amped up the reds as before they were not finished. Looks better no?

Boytoy, Is it looking better? I highlighted some of the rivets etc... Not all, as it would look like the armour had iron measles :D

Thanks Bjorn, glad you like them :)

90% done.

Need to dull down the grey armour and the moritats grille, hghlight the leather, legion transfers and basing.

Hope you like.

bbnbHTv.jpg

UVvQXxL.jpg

2PbJ5xy.jpg

mhPNkAQ.jpg

7gurlGk.jpg

uLS6jpN.jpg

HhJXFX1.jpg

1xKCzt5.jpg

5CUJJ7s.jpg

8AYzce2.jpg

v1ND2TI.jpg

cDamyUF.jpg

epgDZpw.jpg

3gWTsKM.jpg

wCWIxTz.jpg

t6NXVeR.jpg

PKiKdy2.jpg

nLDUnPd.jpg

AutajBi.jpg

kJkN3iE.jpg

n53SBrv.jpg

JNvAZ6m.jpg

Yea dude! The extra details you did are huge and the helms look great! Particularly love the casual stride body with the long hafted axe. He's gorgeous....ahem....manly and badass.

Whats next?

The vast majority is built but not painted.

Painting the Wolves grey is a great camouflage for the unfinished :D

Still in the region of 100 more troops plus 4 dreads and 4 knight (& 5 primary's) to add to the pile in various states of build or paint.

HGkUQV4.jpg

gw62ktu.jpg

phNelip.jpg

Aw0ZNGn.jpg

10zumns.jpg

v7u4zSI.jpg

uH9F5HU.jpg

E3mHE0s.jpg

XcSEE40.jpg

T2DJ6pA.jpg

Edited by Dantay VI

Those Deathsworn look amazing

They are easily some of the best ever SW models made. Am even considering to sell/ trade my 5 old school metal wulfen to get more Deathsworn.

The guy that did them is the same guy who has done the more recent Scars Blood Angel and Dark Angel models for heresy. Or so I have been led to believe.

Hoping he gets to do a SW praetor in power armour for us and or some priest models. They would be absolutely amazing.

Edited by Dantay VI

Those Deathsworn look amazing

They are easily some of the best ever SAW models made. Am even considering to sell/ trade my 5 old school metal wulfen to get more Deathsworn.

The guy that did them is the same guy who has done the more recent Scars Blood Angel and Dark Angel models for heresy. Or so I have been led to believe.

Hoping he gets to do a SW praetor in power armour for us and or some priest models. They would be absolutely amazing.

They're certainly better IMO than the other recent stuff. With the trend in getting specific leviathans and possibly wave 2 contemptors they give me hope.

Thank you Bjorn.

Deathsworn are being fitted up for bases and gloss varnish drying for decals :)

In the meantime, a few other projects which I need some advice on.

Praetor:

fMCguL8.jpg

ECXXY08.jpg

lXpRako.jpg

Quite happy with this one, rotated the right arm almost 90 degrees so it looks like he has struck with his blade. Struggled with the left hand as to what to do, so went with the knife.

Its a weird option as a praetor cannot take a combat blade., Will likely strap a side arm on him.

Also did a head swap. as the positioning of the original head was just stupid. Might trim off the beard plait, as not sure if I can get it to look okay with the head as it is.

Trimmed down all the furs and took out all the flat chunky sections on the cloak so it flows better.

For the praetor, do I stick with the sword, or swap it out for an ave or something similar?

Replaced the lopped off head and will make a fur collar to hide the mess

eH5S7sv.jpg

Not Njal:

ocX9MZT.jpg

82Z4xdq.jpg

Originally was going to use the arms and bottom half of the Traitor librarian with Njals torso, but the cutting involved etc was looknig too complex so chickened out.

Eventually settled on just the arm swap, as the model is so busy, it could be any type of terminator armour under all the runes etc.

I did go with the arms though.

I like the flaming arm as it looks like he is getting ready to hurl it at someone, but not totally sold on the axe.

Do I ditch the axe and use a varagyr axe instead? Or do I do a chop shop on Njals staff and put it in his right hand?

What else could I do to make him look less like Njal, or do I let the paint job do that for me?

Traitor Librarian:

R5cRcwq.jpg

jRq9Yc1.jpg

Decided I hated the legs, as it made him fall backwards, so decided to hack upi the legion tribune model for legs and arms.

Weirdly enough it doesnt look that librarian-y anymore.

Was hoping to make it look like he is swinging his arm around as if to launch a spell or strike, but not sure if the model really conveys the motion enough. Am also going to give him some kind of staff too.

Should I face the staff so the head is to the right as if swinging around or t the left as if jabbing forward or casting? or swap for a big axe?

How to make more wolfy? Want to keep the original face

Last but not least Hvarl.

QDM9BRe.jpg

PMqliMC.jpg

8xiDUfM.jpg

xIrjrhI.jpg

More or less stuck to the original but some things I really did not like.

Got rid of the head and swapped it for Krom's

Took the axe from the raised in the air waving position to something  little more combative by rotating it 90 degrees.

Added a casulty to the display base to further emphasise this point. A left over from Kharns base which was never used.

Added the missing grenade harness

Pimped his cloak a bit. Basically used blue stuff and did a mold of Angrons cloak. Hvarl is the Headtaker and the cloak has skulls on it from heads he has taken :)

The cloak might be a bit much... I have checked and it does not hang t low when on his 40mm base which is fine and will need some fettling to get it it look more natural. Is the cloak a bit OTT?

What do you think?

Thanks for looking :) 

Looking very promising so far! I feel like we’re spiritually connected in juggling a multitude of projects haha.

Feedback wise, I’ll try to go in order heh. Praetor i dig the sword. The underhand lateral swipe reads more sword than axe to me. Not Njals axe looks fine to me I think and a dye job would differentiate him enough. Maybe grey or white?

I’m unsure exactly what you’re thinking for the traitor, since he still currently has both hands on the staff. If you go casting would you lost the staff arms? At any rate I think you could just add some fur between the pauldron layers and you’d be set. Maybe tweak the trim too? I’m usually a less is more guy with that stuff though so YMMV.

As for the cloak I feel like you could just trim it in places to be the size you’d be more comfortable with? It’s raggedy enough in style that it shouldn’t be too bad to hide the cuts. Def worth experimenting though as I think you’re spot on with the head taker and cloak combo. It’s wicked.

Thanks for the feedback FearPeteySodes, every good Jarl has to have several projects on the go at once :D

The traitor Librarian, I am caught in 2 minds as to go with a pose like this using Njals staff, as if blasting something while screaming maleficarum.

99070101002_SpaceMarineLibrarianNEW01.jp

Or have the staff the other way around as if about to club someone with it.

My other idea was to make it a giant crozius and run him as a Speaker of the Dead.

I will look at trimming the cloak

Megavolt: its a good idea, I used t use dryad bark rtaher than lying the gold on black. I might go back to that.

Yea The "Gandalf casting out Wormtongue" is always a good pick. I really do need to pick up Inferno just for the lore but it would also help me give better feedback since i simply don't have any great frame of reference for the 30k specific units.

Inferno lore is amazing, rules less so. I definitely have not regretted getting it.

The SW specific 30K units are analogous to 40K units, so I can use a lot to cross between 30 & 40K.

Varagyr are your Kings guard. So Terminator wolf guard. Major difference is no access to TH/SS & assault cannons in 30K.

Grey Slayers. Super customisable for range or melee. Closest Equal would be Power armour Wolf Guard. Big difference. Combat shields not storm shields. Any warrior with a shield cannot take power weapon.

Use black and yellow pack markings.

Deathsworn. Proto Wulfen. Spooked by visions of death, have death frenzy. 2+ armour save poweer axe bolt pistol and stasis grenades. but again no TH/SS & big axes 1 per 5. No claws.

Caster of Runes = Rune Priest

Speaker of Dead = Wolf Priest

30k veteran squads would be fooled up grey hunters or Wolf guard

30k tactical would be bare bones grey hunters.(but in units up to 20)

Despoilers would be blood claws

Tactical support would be long fangs

Recon Marines would be scouts etc

Edited by Dantay VI

Nice thanks for the summaries, name wise I was pretty good. I just feel weird making unit recommendations in a game I'm not familiar with. I'd hate to tell you to spend weeks making a Speaker of the dead that you cant/won't use. Though I'm less worried about that with you at least because again I think we're on the same page with just doing what we like regardless of game efficacy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

No worries peteysodes, and congratulations on your mod-hood.

Went into a bit of a trance and ended up making a few more models...

This one, I am not sure what to do with, or what he should be. Any ideas?

The Narik Dreygur model was initially going to be used to make a legion praevian (robot controller) so an Iron Priest hybrid.

Guess that didnt work out in the end.

So where does he fit within the Rout?

LFulbRe.jpg

CiIlyIW.jpg

lIrOK3P.jpg

In the end this guy became the robot controller Praevian.

Had a bear of a time with his backpack

APgqTWi.jpg

T9QVrNr.jpg

FYuD6mH.jpg

As for the Iron Priest, a bit of a mash-up with a tech-priest enginseer

The hammer head severely drooped, so either replace, or remove and maybe pin it in place.

Cyphers plasma gun looks good as a helfrost pistol eh??

zZRoZRT.jpg

zBvP5r9.jpg

and to have some fun with this guy. Needs some servo arms, and maybe a raven!!

Ss1JM8G.jpg

Now, as I gave the guy at the head of the post, the praetors dagger, I have stuck an axe on him... Keep it or trade for a side-arm?

RW2UxVQ.jpg

And finally the rune priest, got a cloak left over from Asterian Moloc, so carved it slightly to fit and manged to eventually get Njals staff fitted relatively straight.

Plan to press mould a few wolf skulls and maybe file off the human skulls on his front and replace them

CAcsyUe.jpg

fcmHnwJ.jpg

Thoughts??

Edited by Dantay VI

Turn that dude into a Mortiat, or however its spelt

I had thought that, but too sure how to model the second plasma pistol. Could shoulder mount it on the armoured shoulder plate? 

What about a Vigilator? Sabateur skills, cameleoline, bolter with special ammo, plasma pistol and power weapon?

In 40K terms could run him as Wolf Guard or Lord with combi weapon and frost weapon?

Keep the hammer head, pin it in place.

Oh that will happen, will hopefuly make a nice tempest hammer

I don't know where he fits, but he looks damn good with his position and the flow of the cape. (claps hands)

Thank you Lord Ragnarok :smile.:

Edited by Dantay VI

• 2 weeks later...

You could just holster the 2nd pistol?

Its there and the model is BAMF enough to discourage whiners

I guess you are right :D

Been offshore and get home Wednesday, so will decide what to vow/ paint/ build when I get back.

I have 5 heavy support squads, a deredeo, with missile launcher and lascannons plus a plethora of other bits to choose from.

While offshore I opted to try and finish up loose ends, so I brought out my old veteran squad and the deathsworn.

I have bought some laser printer decal paper, as I tried the inkjet and really struggled with the decal sealant. Plus I can print at work.

mwIxsMh.jpg

zB6d0Lg.jpg

dJz9Cw7.jpg

JKcxA8F.jpg

Got the bases done bar some sand, will do some decals for the arm guards and power fist, maybe something for the pack markings also.

I do have a question though, I am starting to think there is too much going on colour wise which is taking away from the grey of the armour. Shoud I re-do the helms and make them grey rather than the brown leathery colours,but keep the specked helm look?

Deathsworn are done bar a decal for the knee pad, which is why it is so shiny, as been glossed in preparation

WTKO42f.jpg

SXPu4zD.jpg

smt21KA.jpg

x3tHZuu.jpg

CnqHft4.jpg

mzFlAiy.jpg

vbiiSmr.jpg

Again, a quick question, I gt some pigment powder, how do I apply it and get it to stick?

Lastly. Been trying some colour shift paint from greenstuffworld. This is toxic purple. Was going to go for purple with a green colour shift for Alpha legion. It looks better in person, but not 100% sure.

Its for the corpses on Rogal Dorn's base..

Yb8Ns9h.jpg

8hxQct7.jpg

second picture is on the letft side which I did green, the centre is gloss black, the right side was done with hexed lichen purple.

I don’t think it’s too much color at all really! Do you feel they look out of place next to other units? Regardless I think they’re looking awesome!

For pigments I used to just dust them on then varnish but I lost a ton of the look I liked. I use AK fixer now after varnishing and it’s a billion times better. Dust or pile the pigment where you want it then saturate a brush with the fixer. Then touch the brush to the areas and let it soak in with the capillary action. You can then brush around the stuff to smooth or blend as needed. Really great stuff.