15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

Okay will leave the guys as they are... Ill call them done for now, although after the ETL there are a few things I want t go back and finish off on them

Graymane, thanks, mean a lot as you are one heck of a modeller yourself. :)

Okay, so I decided to take the plunge

I, dantay_vi from the Aett, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Space Wolves and vow to complete

3 Iron Priests @ 45 pts each (not sure if I have to pay extra for hammer and pistol) =135 points
2 Wolf Priests with plasma pistol = 164 points
1 WOlf Lord with jump pack, thunder hammer and storm shield = 129 points
1 WOlf Lord with jump pack, frost sword and plasma pistol = 107 points
1 Wolf Lord in Cataphractii armour with wolf claw and chain fist = 136 points
2 Wolf Lords with Plasma pistol and Frost swords = 176 points
1 Rune Priest Jump pack & runic stave = 122 points
1 Rune Priest TDA runic armour psychic hood = 130 points
1 Deredeo dreadnought with arachnus ascannon array and aiolos missile launcher = 240 points
1 relic contemptor with twin lascannns = 235 points
1 relic contemptor dreadnought with twin combat weapons and plasma blastguns = 187 points

For a total of 1759 points

Glory to Russ, pictures to follow.

T54Ph5h.jpg

8C5t7zn.jpg

qT3xiuf.jpg Doesnt quite fit the traditional role, but is good in 30K, will use him as a standar Iron Priest (they have 2+ saves after all)

XQWOykT.jpg Am 50/50 on the helmet... Need to add some grenades t the belt to hide all the rough work

QZaWofC.jpg

JIe8fg6.jpg Going to press mould some bits from Krom for the leg, not sure what to do with his crotch plate, any ideas?

eF6FTWg.jpg Going to press mould some bits for his chest

EKWPvfX.jpg

dVVcDz8.jpg

ocfZkYD.jpg50/50 on the head, a bit young for a wolf lord. Need to wolf him up a bit also, spear a stand in for the chain fist

Tgse54x.jpg Do I leave all the skulls on the model? My need some wolfing up also

lIItaU9.jpg

EwKnj55.jpg

W4MRhIk.jpg

AQnz8jo.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks for looking :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Graymane

Well progress has been slow so far, and I am going off the rig tomorrow, so I expect not much to get done at home, although I do have something in the worls if I do get this vow finished :)

So this is where I am at/

The twins.

0oYF82L.jpg

Getting there, trying wo work out if I want to do the shoulder plate black to match the artwork in Inferno, or off-white, as my leviathan has... Thoughts??

The 3 priests

Still a lot to do on these, like the others, the steel and bronze needs worked on, then on to reds etc,lenses and skull/ bone details done.

jVQ43O7.jpg

Smash Jarl.

This is ano lder photo, so he is a little further along.

L5gimbs.jpg

Ben asking on facebook if anyone has a wulfen shield going spare...so far no takers on that yet :(May end up sacrificing a grey slayer shield to get the vow over the line.

Choppy jarl

Running death with kraken sword

hZce4An.jpg

Need to give him a wolf pelt between his legs to cover the hole in his crotch :D

Not Njal

wA1cMEr.jpg

What colour to do the flames?Blue and white like a snow storm or traditional fiery death??

Stabby Jarl

Really liking this guy the more I work on him... Hav definite plans to really do some reworking on him after ETL to give him more of a wolf flavour

yMPQTnQ.jpg

Trying to think f design ideas for the wolf claw, any ideas??

Sneaky Jarl,

He is quite a bit further along, my biggest doubt with him is whether to keep the trim on the shoulder pad gold, or make it steel, as the gold is a bit blingy, thoughts??

SuxNdTo.jpg

Flying runic death

Minimal conversion work here.

O3a0P8s.jpg

Gave him a raven guard jump pack and plan to giv him black hair, llight wolf pelt, and the feathers can be done in black to push the ravn theme, the only ting I am unsure of, s whether th skulls all over the place are a bit too chas-y?

New priest on the block

Not too much work here

dv6PnVF.jpg

Got rid of almost all the bones etc, as I thught it was too OTT and have dcided to paint the wolf helm as bone instead. May switch it for a KF studio helm, still undecided. Thought hte varagyr axe would mahe a decent crozius counts as :D

Deredeo or not

This model is giving me a severe painters block, and not sure what the heck to do with him

h3MWDtu.jpg

I am thinking knot work, just struggling for ideas or themes for him... Quite like keeping him in muted colours, almost like a mammoth sniper... Ideas apprciated for this one.

Bonus model

Not codex compatible, but a  fun side project...

.mSufsXL.jpg

Ah shoot, have another wolf pries, but forgot his snaps.. Will dd in from home.

Anway any help advice or critiques gratefully accepted.

Thanks for Looking.

Motherf....

You just rekindled the flame! The hearth burns anew!

Glad to hear it.

Normally it's you inspiring me :D

After ETL I will get the. Varagyr finished up.

The chaos Lord / smash jarl. I have another and love the posing, so I plan to make him into Ragnar Blackmane.

Fingers crossed that it works out.

Nice lookin group there. Almost enough to get me to look at some resin upgrades, now that I'm building again. I cant think of anything for that Deredeo that isn't ridiculously complex. What's in my head may work on a tank, bot sure about a dread though. Sorry partner

Haha you always pose so many questions I almost get as overwhelmed by them as the badass work! :)

I think the RP is a tough choice, the icy wind is more thematic but the reds I’ve found look great color wise.

I agree with the others that other RP isn’t too chaosy

The deredeo I think could just get a simple leaf flourish on the chest plate and it would be great!

Keep rocking it brother!

Motherf....

Glad to hear it.

Normally it's you inspiring me :D

The chaos Lord / smash jarl. I have another and love the posing, so I plan to make him into Ragnar Blackmane.

Ohhh can't wait to see that and it's indeed a brilliant idea! Pose and size are perfect indeed!!

Loving the stalking pose the two plasma pistol dude has, looks like he's single tapping with every step! 

But I was surprised to see in the Grim Dark Future that USB ports on Dreadnought have got a whole lot bigger. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice lookin group there. Almost enough to get me to look at some resin upgrades, now that I'm building again. I cant think of anything for that Deredeo that isn't ridiculously complex. What's in my head may work on a tank, bot sure about a dread though. Sorry partner

I am all ears because this thing has me stumped... So whats your ideas??

Loving the stalking pose the two plasma pistol dude has, looks like he's single tapping with every step! 

But I was surprised to see in the Grim Dark Future that USB ports on Dreadnought have got a whole lot bigger. :wink:

Its for all that extra targetting data ;)

Which wulfen shield do you need?

Hi Graymane, any really, although I like the round ones or the one with the wolf that stalks the stars, if you have a spare I would certainly take it off your hands, can discuss in PM?

Haha you always pose so many questions I almost get as overwhelmed by them as the badass work! :smile.:

I think the RP is a tough choice, the icy wind is more thematic but the reds I’ve found look great color wise.

I agree with the others that other RP isn’t too chaosy

The deredeo I think could just get a simple leaf flourish on the chest plate and it would be great!

Keep rocking it brother!

Might go with that idea, but also like the idea of making him a giant walking, shooting rune stone :D

Just too much b;lank spaces

I like the poses you chose.

Thanks

Motherf....

Glad to hear it.

Normally it's you inspiring me :biggrin.:

Ohhh can't wait to see that and it's indeed a brilliant idea! Pose and size are perfect indeed!!

Will work on him some more once ETL is out of the way :)

Have to admit I am struggling a bit. Hiting my paint fatigue limits...

Here is where I am at so far:

bOgbaNt.jpg

BgPL8Xc.jpg

hngYPu6.jpg

3D9Atkl.jpg

joCmQGJ.jpg

RCaM6Ld.jpg

2lcnxm5.jpg

e2j7pZh.jpg

ksJWCqU.jpg

emhaiDh.jpg

What colour to do his helmet??

Hcy4Tcl.jpg

3H9k18b.jpg

MHRNxfb.jpg

11kFlG2.jpg

53ZNJsY.jpg

Bi6LJ9m.jpg

First off, I tried out some contrast paints, it was a bit mixed.

I did snakebite leather on all he leather, I tried different browns, such as mournfang, xv-88, rhinox hide and dryad bark. I found it all looked really flat, so reapplied the brown and gave a drybrush of longbeard grey.

This really helped it to pop, but unless the browns are very different, the contrast is so strong it ended up making all the different browns look almost the same.

Red was a very similar issue

Black templar just turned everything black, even with the drybrush, so I had to drybrush over it again

The models are beautifully painted.

Thanks Bjorn, glad you like them :)

Dude! All of these guys are characters worthy of their own saga. Each one so different from the next that they all stand out. Truly beautiful work! Absolutely love each and every one of them.

Thanks, I am hoping that they will all end up with mighty sagas, each has been a pleasure and a challenge in its own way

Mate you’re insanely productive! Really incredible stuff, fantastic conversions and dreadnoughts

Thanks Jackalwolf, you have been a bit of an inspiration of mine :) I am productive in fits and spurts. After these are done< I might need a lie-down, then on to the varagyr.

Right, starting to make headway

Nuc6MAg.jpg

A nice groupshot of the gang.

vQrt6Un.jpg

One of my favourite dreadnoughts so far... Got some work to do on the bronze, lenses and gems, plus exhaust stacks, then I can feel happier with him

WYNOKBx.jpg

His shooty brother, same as slice n dice, then I can class him as close to being done.

UXX2zjw.jpg

Still a long way from being done, but I have a few ideas I might be able to pull off

t1wQV0K.jpg

30K moritat, which I am painting for fun is almost there... Not sure you can have a gun-slinging wolf with jump pack in 40K

I think a dark gray almost black would rock on that helmet you are questioning.

Also Mother of Russ your work is simply superb!

Thanks, and something like this, for an almost black helmet??

5lNebKv.jpg

Hair, markings and tidy-up for this guy...

4i74vt4.jpg

Staff, knick-knacks and tidy up for the acrobatic Rune Priest

8hawue7.jpg

Hair, tidy-up, trying to work out what to do with the gut-plate... Also markings, what to do? Varagyr and command elements in 30K have red left pads with gold legion symbols, but this does not follow through to 40K. Also concerned the red would dominate too much.... Thoughts?

wcjy2Iq.jpg

Same issue for the pads with this guy, need to do knotwork of the fist and re-touch up the silvers on the weapons

tURy4Fj.jpg

Markings, hair, doo-dahs... You get the idea.

cg7Lko4.jpg

Hair to do and a few bits, neaten up the blades.

WSFnzmB.jpg

Run some sepia over the helmet for more definition... Should I do the red on the snout like the moriitat??

8bqsXyU.jpg

Some tidy-up on highlights and blade, markings face mask..... Something norse and in black to look sneaky. Finish backpack, but its not top priority

1Ejzrhy.jpg

Tidy-up, makings, something for the wee shield, add some colour to the servo arm

KzZc9K6.jpg

Replace missing servo skull, tidy up and face mask.

JBKR3Iy.jpg

Clean up markings, refine highlights on hammer

ta7yOYy.jpg

Hair, markings and re-do blade, really not happy with that.

Dude grand! It's an honour and I wish I had thought about Dreygur plus Cypher with the praetor knife! It's super badass.

Theres nothing to say you coiuldn't use the same parts and make something cool, fpor example, swap the weapons around so it looks like he is about to take someone out, or an empty hand on the left and knife on the right.

I have been considering putting a stalker bolt rifle on his back and making him a Vigilator!!, cover up where I hacked the sword out

• 2 weeks later...

So post ETL.

Gutted my study and made it more functional.

The Russ model I painted a while back for my son..... Had an accident and looks like I will be using him for parts.

Son is gutted but, the armour of Russ which was located on the second great hunt will be repurposed by the chapter.

Thinking backpack on my Ragnar conversion, the axe for one on Hvarls Kingsguard and the cloak on Hvarl himself... Will post pics later.

Russ' repurposing continues.

Been noodling around with my Ragnar update, borrowing heavily from Russ, could almost be a mini-Russ aka yung king :D

bL2USb3.jpg

1Rm9Kcg.jpg

1MvgrXZ.jpg

5CkPG2S.jpg

Tearing my sons room apart when he moved out of it to his new bedroom, I manged to find about 80% of Russ.

What are your thoughts, Iam debating over tryng to GS a wolf head for the left shoulder guard,but worried it would over-wolf the model, however it is an iconic part of the Ragnar model... hmmm. Also d I go with the plastic head and maybe try a top knot or use the dremel and carve out Ragnars original head?

0eXlkht.jpg

Let me know.

Old Hvarl, turned Kings Guard... Used to have the master of Executions axe, but I swapped it out for Russ'. This snapped in about 5 places and took a lot of swearing and patience to rebuild. I suspect it is the swearing which is holding the axe together :D

Zi2q7tw.jpg

Qx3UPDg.jpg

3sJeazG.jpg

wtBZJBt.jpg

The missing hand will be left empty as the axe is that big, it will need to be swung 2 handed

Because I got rid of the executioners axe, I decided to re-jig this dude.

HJriQYC.jpg

HugQlcH.jpg

Still in 2 minds about which axe head to run with, but happier with the haft now.

Lastly another Russ donor recipient.

Hvarl got a new cloak. While I like the Angron cloak with the skulls on it, I feel the Russ cloak suits the model more and th way the back is curved allows for more detail to be seen.

2jZtuvk.jpg

mJcJU1V.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the left Wolf pauldron is a must. It doesn’t look like Ragnar without it. If you can get the original head I think it would be awesome. I’m having the same struggle in my own head.

I agree, I am struggling to chop the metal with my dremel. Any ideas what would be the best way to chop this guy up?

As a side project, I am putting togther a 20 man grey slayer squad, which can be broken up into 2 x 10 man Wolf guard packs.

I have the pack 90% done but the Thegn....

Which weapon looks best?

iymJ4tb.jpg

bCrSAFM.jpg

y8hn7bU.jpg

MJeFsfD.jpg

Thanks for looking