15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

• 5 months later...

Wow such a long time away from the rout.

I have been working to stuff though so do not despair.

I managed to pick up the Space Wolves half of prophecy of the Wolf, s quite happy with that.

This brings my dedicated 40K Wolves force to: Ragnar Blackmane, Haldor Icepelt, 10 Incursors, 10 Infiltrators, 3 Eliminators and 3 Suppressors, Jarl, Rune Priest and Lieutenant (Thegn).

Anyhoo.. I decided to break out some paint today after months of procratination.

I subscribe to Lil' Legend on Patreon and tried a twist on his paint scheme which he used on a Mastodon name Howl of Yarant.which is a beautiful storm grey colour

It is a black prime, Abyssal blue, then Anthracite grey (All Scale 75)

The twist was that I would add an extra stage, of white as a highlight after the Abyssal blue and before the Anthracite grey.

Something went wrong as my models went a baby-ish blue grey colour.

Should I have ditched the extra stage and added the white to the Anthracite grey to highlight the model?

Besides stripping and starting again is there any way to pull it back to a stormy grey colour?

Next thing is Scle 75 paints, they seem really thick, has anyone got any experience of them?

DCGh20I.jpg

dpD9HCG.jpg

ei4pbpc.jpg

fO6QZGS.jpg

HvJNw92.jpg

25HTNnA.jpg

neqsIiw.jpg

wTM5WgH.jpg

xQZx52k.jpg

rJ7upz3.jpg

Hja Brother , I hope your family is well and that the sea is not treating you  harshly ( i can imagine its got to be rough in  your industry right now) ,  models looking good so far. 

PS

My 14th company is no more , I am going the successor path now. 

Much in the same boat of rebuilding but my jobs been shut down so ive been quite busy. 

Edited by Lord Blackwood

• 1 month later...

Hja Brother , I hope your family is well and that the sea is not treating you  harshly ( i can imagine its got to be rough in  your industry right now) ,  models looking good so far. 

PS

My 14th company is no more , I am going the successor path now. 

Much in the same boat of rebuilding but my jobs been shut down so ive been quite busy. 

We are all good. Looking forward to my oldest going back to school :) Might get more model work done :D

I saw that you are going down a different path also and do mine as a successor also, but shock horror. Ragnar is going to quit the Space Wolves to lead them :)

I use scale75 a lot, they're really good. Make sure you shake the bejeepers out of them and then trust the pallet to thin them. The shades are superb too.

I am enjoying my scale 75 paints now that I am getting better with the airbrush.

I assume by shades, you meant the inks, I have got a number of them, they seem really vibrant.

I haven't got any more painting done and my laptop went belly up, so I have lost pretty much all my stuff. I have got a new laptop now.

So to cheer myself up I have been building up my Indomitus models.

They still need some wolfing up, but I am low on bits, any ideas would be awesome, so please chip in.

1RgUjbt.jpg

f6i4Slf.jpg

qDOVOvt.jpg

8tsxM5L.jpg

e6yTA1f.jpg

9HleogZ.jpg

aivewHS.jpg

enDOiy3.jpg

Right the biggest issue I have is, do I keep the swords or do I swap for axes? In Viking times, swords were a sign of status, especially the famed Ulfbert swords, however axes are wicked cool, and I have the wulfen axes laying around and Russ' axe too. What are your thoughts.

Lu3Dlrd.jpg

yEzqZbx.jpg

Really trying to work out how to do hair etc from the back of the helm so it looks more like a mask. I will fil the text in, as I do not feel it fits with the Norse vibe. Also how to represent the tempus mortis?

5qVCFwW.jpg

54QT03Y.jpg

Need to replace the head of his crozius

iIUkmsh.jpg

With weapons across the body it is hard to see how to wolf them up, but any thoughts would be good.

ojI3QCK.jpg

9O0Ruiy.jpg

LRKFUQI.jpg

Same idea, how to wolf up, but not make them a caricature? I do have axes, so was considering to swap the swords out, what do you think?

For the Eradicators, Outrider Bikes, and Assault Marines, I'd look to replace the chainswords with ones from the Space Wolves Pack box (have to cut at the wrist), use some of the loose belt bits, tokens and talismans, etc.

Really can't help you with the DA cosplay ones though, those aren't redeemable in my eyes. :lol:

I like how you made the Primaris Marines look Wolfish. The Ancient's wolfskin-draped standard looks most promising.

Right the biggest issue I have is, do I keep the swords or do I swap for axes? In Viking times, swords were a sign of status, especially the famed Ulfbert swords, however axes are wicked cool, and I have the wulfen axes laying around and Russ' axe too. What are your thoughts.

Why not both? Some Judiciars wield executioner's swords; some wield the traditional axes; some melee-obsessed Judiciars wield a sword in one hand, an ax in the other, like Russ himself.

wolf guard terminator bitz have a gone a long way for the indomitus box wolfing. aggressors look good with WG terminator shoulder pads especially.

i agressively cut off the tabards on mine, covering the cut off areas with hanging mkiii torso plates and putting fur underneath.

i like the swords for bladeguard, but i definetly replaced the judicar sword with an executioner-style axe.

Edited by Wispy

yer conversion work looks great already. 

I really really like what you did with the Judiciar , that is magnificent 

I definitely would agree that the outriders eradicators and the assault marines need very little work. 

Just small bits and bobs with a few bare heads swapped in  should do the trick. 

I feel ill saying this, but I’m not a fan of the dread shield on the Jarl.

I’ve tried it myself and it just feels clunky

Its okay, I am kind of in the same boat, both like it, but not sure if it suits.... I have used up all the shields I have bar one.. Russ' shield but that would be "small" compared to the others around him.

wolf guard terminator bitz have a gone a long way for the indomitus box wolfing. aggressors look good with WG terminator shoulder pads especially.

i agressively cut off the tabards on mine, covering the cut off areas with hanging mkiii torso plates and putting fur underneath.

i like the swords for bladeguard, but i definetly replaced the judicar sword with an executioner-style axe.

I had thought about the axe, but I dunno, there is something about that sword.

I have a good bit of terminator parts and with the mostly complete set of wulfen I snagged off of ebay, I have other gubbins and axes. I like the tabards, I will do them as beat up leather, and do the same with the Shadowspear models cloaks to tie them together, them add fur to taste.

For the Eradicators, Outrider Bikes, and Assault Marines, I'd look to replace the chainswords with ones from the Space Wolves Pack box (have to cut at the wrist), use some of the loose belt bits, tokens and talismans, etc.

Really can't help you with the DA cosplay ones though, those aren't redeemable in my eyes. :laugh.:

I'll need to dig through my bits. Yes it is hard with the command models as they are very knightly looking I think removing a lot of the purity seals might help and possibly ditching the mini shields, but what to replace them with??

yer conversion work looks great already. 

I really really like what you did with the Judiciar , that is magnificent 

I definitely would agree that the outriders eradicators and the assault marines need very little work. 

Just small bits and bobs with a few bare heads swapped in  should do the trick. 

Thanks Blackwood, I have a few bits I can sprinkle around, so we will see what comes of it.

I want the story behind the Judicar to be that he is a fallen wolf priest, bitten by the curse. Unable to fulfil his position, but such is his iron will that he maintains control over the curse. He remains a silent testament to the fate that await all that let the wulfens to slip loose..

As such it is his duty to execute those for whom the curse has run too deep into their veins, while seeking release by hunting down the most dangerous foes and hunting down a glorious death

Yes it is hard with the command models as they are very knightly looking I think removing a lot of the purity seals might help and possibly ditching the mini shields, but what to replace them with??

Terminator Storm Shields or Wulfen Storm Shields, depending on how big you want them to be?

Great job as always!

For my own bladeguard I used swords, mostly due to the whole sword=status thing that you mentioned. It denotes them as nobility/Wolf Guard members. I’m switching out my Assault Intercessor’s chainswords with my plastic dwarf axes for similar reasons, common troops get axes.

For my Justiciar I’m using a Yimiria stasis grenade from the 30k Deathsworn as the Tempor Mortis. I see you have some of their helms, maybe you have those grenades?

I’m using Russ’ shield for my captain’s relic shield. Not using the Indomitus model though and it will be on his back so the smaller size is less noticeable.

Great job as always!

For my own bladeguard I used swords, mostly due to the whole sword=status thing that you mentioned. It denotes them as nobility/Wolf Guard members. I’m switching out my Assault Intercessor’s chainswords with my plastic dwarf axes for similar reasons, common troops get axes.

For my Justiciar I’m using a Yimiria stasis grenade from the 30k Deathsworn as the Tempor Mortis. I see you have some of their helms, maybe you have those grenades?

I’m using Russ’ shield for my captain’s relic shield. Not using the Indomitus model though and it will be on his back so the smaller size is less noticeable.

Thanks HvitrValdyr

I could use Russ' shield also and yes I do have a spare grenade laying around somewhere, so I could clip it on his belt. If I can find it.

Anyway, started raking through my bits for ideas.

This is what I have so far. I have a bunch of the mark 3 marine chainswords from the BoP sets (40-60 of them)plus plenty of hammers etc, so I could cannibalise bits from those

I also have a load of WG terminator arms and shields laying about.

I have blue stuff, so I can press mould things like the FW terminator pad to get a pelt and such like.

I am thinking the hanging things from the wulfen (little round things) could replace the rondels (mini shoulder shields) and add a bit of fur or chain from one side of torso to the other

Any way, so here is my bits, give me your ideas for converting the indomitus stuff up :)

bivcuQT.jpg

MNoOLen.jpg

Szr9lgB.jpg

Thanks for looking

So this is what I have dug up so far,

What would you use to wolf up my Indomitus guys?

Hey Wispy. Not sure about the hubcaps, but the diamond skulls could work.

Also found the Fyreslayer axes scale much better to |Primaris then Firstborn :)

The wolfing time has commenced.

Kjaran might have been right about the dread shield, which I may reserve for an Arjac substitute, so borrowed an axe from an old terminator wolf lord.

What do you think?

OEFhxgI.jpg

ItcrxYt.jpg

There are alternate shield and axes below.

Let me know your thoughts?