15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

DSCN0785.JPG

DSCN0781.JPG

These are the first miniatures I ever painted.  The group of 11 or so of them are still the only figures I've painted.  I tried a couple vehicles - LRC and rhinos and was unhappy with the results somewhat. Then my daughter was born and I've had little time since...

For first mini's painted they are pretty good and that axe is really good. I struggle to get the nice patterns like that on mine. I find vehicles really hard, but I am really focussing on this one, just to prove I can paint one of these damned things..

And you have a wee nurgling too? Awesome, me too. I ended up selling off all but my Wolves when the wife found out she was expecting. 

He is also he primary reason I struggle to get any painting done at home too!! Good times though.

PS just teasing about the nurgling... I bet she is a princess :)

Quick update. Last night after Body Pump! Which I swear is a method of killing slowly and painfully I got a wee bit of work done. Shaky hands not withstanding...

Started the highlights on the main body, got one side slightly more done than the other. and almost as far as the front end, which means I can get the final edge highlights in at the same time to keep it all uniform.

Its splodgy in places, but I am getting there

SAM 2163

Thoughts??

Edited by dantay_xv

It looks great, Dantay!  Definitely don't see any splodginess in the photos that I can see.

And thanks for the compliments on mine.  I think what I must have done on the axe was paint it some light blue color, and then wash it heavy and blotchy with blue wash.  Then I highlighted the edge and rune.  I remember my technique was simple and probably unorthodox, as I didn't have a lot of technical knowledge at that point.

Edited by FenrisWolf

Thank you brother Vykryl & FenrisWolf, I am glad you like the work so far, hopefully this will meet with your approval.

Well after dong my own version of 50 shades of grey (paint) I have finally finished doing the upper hull grey work. Needs a tidy up here and there still where I smeared a bit of the light grey into the dark, and I did start to rush the grey as I was burning out, but overall pretty happy.

This is overall my first vehicle since a land raider 5+ years ago I have wanted to paint and finish... I am hoping it will give me the motivation to start and finish the other 5 or 6 LandRaiders I have sitting around :D

SAM 2173

SAM 2169

SAM 2170

So this is the body done and with the wings awaiting highlighting. I am very tired of grey just now, so I have decided to move to another part of the model for a change, so bring on the underbelly of the beast.....

And its grey, but atleast of a different hue. I doubt I will linger over the underside, maybe just some drybrush and an edge highlight. Not much room for designs, so probably just the wings getting a small motif..... Oh and this :)

SAM 2171

SAM 2171v1

Do you like for the rear hatch? 1 should show a models eye view as it zooms over, the other should be how I see it as I draw and paint it.

What colour should I do it, silver, greys.... ?

Thanks Vyk. Yes it is the design we had originally discussed and settled on, for once I didn't flip-flop over something hahaha

and Z00Z, thank you ... NOw you know why I was interested in the gold pinning and the black wash :) I was wondering if there was an easy way to go back and fill in all the gaps between the plates, the gold pinning, but with black may be the answer.

Lets get this design tidied up and see if I can get it done before I have to pack it away for the trip home... Then get cracking again once I am through the door.

:jawdrop: AWESOME!

There should be a more complete pic in his gallery. Dantay sent me a pic of the hatch knot work painted silver before he started packing to head home from the oil rig he works on. Night Fury is looking top notch.

Edit: @#$& phone auto correct

Edited by Vykryl

Yep you are right Vykryl, in the rush to pack I forgot to post it up... Can't sleep. On the bright side I knocked way a lot of paperwork before I go, so I feel happy about that. And thank you for the compliment :)

Anyway the pictures that Vykryl mentioned.

SAM 2176

We are not allowed to use cameras with flashes on deck incase it sets off one of our alarm systems, so we tape over the flash. I forgot to shut the flash off so it gave out a blast of blue light. Kinda cool as it allows me to see what a Fire Raptor woul look like in traditional 40K Space Wolf colours :D

Fear not I didn't tkae a turn and paint it blue.

SAM 2177

This is how she looks with out the flash on... better eh?

Glad you like her FenrisWolf! How did your painting go this weekend?

Ok, fine.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

But alas for me, I didn't get to paint.  Long weekend with the family.  Models are second...

I'm actually fleshing out a set of lists I can play so I know better what I need to make and then paint.  Like Immersturm, I'm looking at a pure TWC core with 3 mounted IP.  I got the torsos off my Mythicast wolves, so I'll model up my IP fist and work on painting them.  Nothing like starting up after a three year drought with large wolf peels to do!

Edited by FenrisWolf

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back again!

Sorry that its been a while.

As I said before this will be quite cycicl, as when not offshore painting time is seriously curtailed.

Anyhoo, a quick update. Finally got an idea of what to do with the dragon wing designs running on to the upper hull.

So she has now gone from this.....

P1010116

To this....

P1010192

SAM 2189

SAM 2191

SAM 2192

Hope you like

The next question is: Do I go wth a very plain central fin with flight designation markers, or go full bling and add the dragon pattern wing to it also??

The panel above the turret gunners would be the alternate location for Rapor ID markings should I bling up the tail section, but I'd like to know your thoughts.....

Edited by dantay_xv

No, not yet.

I had been swithering over whether to bling it or not, maybe leaving it plain with ID markers. The paint thats on it now was just doodles for ideas.

Managed to get the tail fin into some boiling water last night too and go the worst of the post hit-&-run warpage out of it.

I'll not stencil it, that will be too fiddly. Either break out the brush pens or freehand and do a lot of tidying up. Fingers crossed for steady hands!!

Thanks Fenwolf... Well, you never know someone might get a bit giddy when they see it :D

So full-on tail bling it is, and just when I thought I was done with gold. D'oh!! :wallbash:

The metal frame around the ball turret seems to run into the area above here

SAM 2193

So I am thinking to paint this area in steel and the make it look as itf the rune markings had been engraved into the actual frame of the ship, or go for a blue colour and be blowy, but I am not sure if that would suit the aesthetic.

SAM 2194

Like this, the paper is just to put up the runes just now.

What do you think?

Is that supposed to be NF SW-01? If so I think you might want to check the W rune, it should look more like an angular P.

I like the idea of carved into the panel over blue. Maybe even the ramp knotwork color?

Yeah, double check the runes. You're using Futhark (sp?). I'd do the runes blue with a white highlight to make a subtle glow effect.

I think you spelled it right. Glowing blue would look good, didn't think about highlights. We'll see what dantay_xv comes up with. Night Fury is lookin like she'll be the envy of the fleet when finished

I may change the runes up or add 1 or 2 more.

It is NF- SW01. Night Fury Space Wolves 01, I may change it to NF-as heck. 01 To represent Night Fury- Asaheim Fenris (base of operation) 01 (1st Raptor or 1st Company).

People might get NFSW confused with NSFW... Not sure yet.

NF-VF06-as heck (Night Fury - Vlka Fenryka 06 (6th Legion) - Asaheim Fenris)

If anybody has suggestions as to what the runes should be, please let me know here :)