Prot's Everything Crimson (Slaughter) Blog

Prot

Well here we go.... a finished unit that I seriously despised doing.

This is the damaged landraider I tried to repair. Grenstuff holds the Combibolter mount together. Spikey bit pieces had to be cut off (they were broken) and I tried to smooth them out as good as I could. A few metal sanding sessions later, I then went at it with the paints.

I spent probably... 4 hours repairing, and then by the time I got to paint it, I was quite frankly sick of the model. About 4 hours into painting it I just wanted to be done, but there was some notable damage above the top right armour facing. So I took about 10 minutes to freehand the Crimson Slaughter icon over top of it making it less noticeable.

I did want to do more to the landraider, but I felt really finished with the unit and wanted to move on. So here it is:

med_gallery_2760_10008_214808.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10008_160018.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That look really cool Prot. I'll need to try get some of the FW Chaos crew. The free hand painted skull look really cool.

IP

That looks really good.

So I took about 10 minutes to freehand the Crimson Slaughter icon over top of it making it less noticeable.

dry.png 10 minutes! I hate you right now, just so you know.

Me too just a little bit.

Edit: cause my mobile is making quoting difficult.

I'll add my name to that jealous list.

Land Raider looks awesome, your going to have a seriously nice army on your desk if you keep this up!

Don't worry about the damage though, the Raider just looks more brutal for it.

Can't wait to see what you do next

Actually in a distant life I used to be a professional comic penciller for some smaller titles. I just saw that the fix was going to take too much more labour.

I just looked at one of the decals and thought I'd draw a half picture in the GW paints and see how it looks. 

Thanks for the compliments. ;)

That is really cool Prot, nice work esp as said the 10min free hand!! A bit of weathering and battle damage would really finish it off if you decide to revisit it - and you could then blag any damage you couldn't fix as intentional ;)

Your Krannon is excellent btw

A bit of weathering and battle damage would really finish it off if you decide to revisit it - and you could then blag any damage you couldn't fix as intentional msn-wink.gif

Your Krannon is excellent btw

There is some damage on the landraider in the form of some sponged earth tones. But yea, I have used and own Forgeworld powders and my Bloodpact is heavily weathered. It works for them, but I was okay with how this finished.

Honestly, I hate painting vehicles...despise it. I reached a point where I couldn't stand painting the LR anymore and just called it done. (Probably 4 hours repairing? Maybe more. About 2.5 hours painting? )

Krannon I spent a load of time on. I loved painting that model, just like my Balthasar. It was a pleasure to paint Krannon so thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it.

One last thing... my pictures are all terribad. I use a phone camera and most of the reds look pinker, and wash out highlights. Two people saw those Krannon pics and saw him in person and thought it looked considerably bigger.

I don't do this for recognition at all... I always hope to inspire, or motivate someone else to crack their box of X open and slap some paint on it.

What have you got planned next for the Crimson Slaughter, Prot?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/296907-prots-everything-crimson-slaughter-blog/?p=3855308

I'm stumped really.

I just spent over 400 bucks on Ultramarines. I've spent the last week putting together 20 loyalist marines, Sternguard, Stormtalons... lol anything that is -not- red.

Just some quick batrep pictures:

These are just a few short pics from my game vs. Astra this week with my CS. I got totally hosed, and conceded in turn 4. I had more points than my opponent (Maelstrom/1850). But I was almost wiped out to a man. That was my worst loss probably since 7th ed came out.

I tried some 'new' (IE: different) units. I was sick of playing the same stuff all the time, and it costed me dearly. I'm not going to bother with a full batrep, but figured I could at least put some of the pics up:

gallery_2760_10008_348891.jpg

^These are actually my Bloodpact IG. I use them as my CS Cultists since I have so many. Here they are behind an Aegis line on a quad gun. Attached to them at the far end is a Balestar Sorc giving Prescience to my 3 Oblits.

^My opponent stole first turn from me, and in that turn Wyverns killed all but 3 of this squad.

med_gallery_2760_10008_65436.jpg

^ I deployed my newly completed deathstar... er Landraider (gees it almost looks pink in this picture) at the top of my deployment zone. Krannon and 8 Possessed are inside. Behind the LR is a simple 5 man plasma squad of troops running up. (Some of you may notice 3 of those models are my old Huron's Red Corsairs. Sometimes I miss that old nutjob.)

^After first turn was stolen by my opponent his first order of business was to shoot his walkers' lascannons into my landraider, immobilzing it in turn 1! Ugh, as a result, Krannon and friends were forced to footslog from turn one. By they time they got halfway across they table, they looked like this:

gallery_2760_10008_164747.jpg

^ Truly and magnificently ugly. Krannon gets through with 2 possessed. I rolled fleet one time, and otherwise the possessed table was not nice to me. I never got the invuln save/rending, and I never got the Shroud roll... unti I was in close combat lol

^ Here my old WIP Black Legion termicide squads BOTH get a bullseye on the deep strike. This was a last ditch effort (and quite desperate) to turn the game around. These are my opponent's command tanks. The Punisher is the commander, and the Plasma tank is down a hullpoint.

^ Termicide on the right had to kill his psyker squad which also had a dude repairing the tanks hullpoints (supremely annoying... who brings mechanics to the front lines? Seriously.) Anyway they died like they should, but I then had to rely on Krannon and Possessed (he had +1 strenght at this point from the sword of mediocrity) and he couldn't do anything to the tank. The Terminators did plasma the tank next turn, but one over heated, and rolled a 1 for his armour save, going out in a blaze of glory. Well at least he won't hear the voices anymore.

^ Termicide squad 2 on the left was meltacombi's and was just outside of 6" on the command tank Punisher so I held their fire for one turn, which was a mistake....

The next turn a vet squad dropped from a Valkyrie and Bombed me with a det charge. Krannon died, half the terimes died on the table. The other squad was widdled away by another squad of Plasma vets in a Chimera.

This was my first loss to this Astra player in a looong time, and it wasn't even close. My watered down CS had no chance in this game, he had air superiority, numbers, much better support, stole the initiative, and of course he had numbers. Surprisingly he never got off one Prescience roll on his side, and I got of all of mine with the oblits.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Post Mortemus Voicius Suckicus +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What would I do different?

===> He ignored my Helbrute with Multimelta. Even so I couldn't hit, or I would hit but fail to pen. I had planned, but ran out of gas, to play the 3 helbrute formation all with different weapons and Deepstrike all of them.

===>Possessed, Krannon, and Balestar Sorc are FUN in principle but stupid expensive even at 1850. None of these units are appropriately point costed in my opinion. (I did make one list mistake, I forgot I could re-roll with Balestar but I still took a Spell Familiar, but that's the only math mistake I made.)

===> Considering these guys are all over costed, taking all 3 units was suicide in the modern game. Possessed I've tried every way imaginable. They are simply a 'fun' unit. Expecting ANYTHING different from these guys is akin to planning your retirement because you bought a lottery ticket on the way home from work.

===>I wanted to get in Draznicht's chosen with 3 melta's and an axe, but it would require MAJOR point re-juggling and probably greatly alter the list.

===>For the first time since 7th ed, I took a Defiler. Ugh. I actually think if you haven't used all spots up on the ol reliable Maulerfiend, then even a vanilla Forgefiend is better for 25 pts less. (I wouldn't bother with either though.)

My friends had an intervention with me on the Crimson Slaughter (well one friend in particular). He convinced me to move on to something I can start fresh with, so I'm trying that for a little while to see what happens. Don't hate me. I'll still be the voice in the background telling you to do naughty things to the Imperium. ;)

Thanks for reading.

Sad to hear they didn't work for you. Did you have Kranon with the Prophet rule? having him getting all the bonuses the squad  gets is the best way to run them.

I generally am happy to get the beasts roll, especially on foot. That always seems to guarantee me a turn 2.

^ Truly and magnificently ugly. Krannon gets through with 2 possessed. I rolled fleet one time, and otherwise the possessed table was not nice to me. I never got the invuln save/rending, and I never got the Shroud roll... unti I was in close combat lol

Actually, looking at this quote, I am really confused. Posessed have Fleet all the time. As Crimson Slaughter posessed, your only 3 possible results are Shrouded, Beasts, and 3++/rending. While I've had a couple times where I got shrouded when out in the open, I've always been able to take advantage of the other two rolls, especially Beasts for that wonderful 12 inch ignoring terrain move.

Sorry I meant Beasts. I only had it once, at the wrong time. By turn three I did reach close combat, but it was all but over by then.

Without the landraider in turn 1, I had no real shot of getting there against a full astra army. I was too divided with my 'fun' units.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been doing a lot lately, and haven't had a lot of time for Crimson Slaughter. I'm making sure they CAN be fielded as World Eaters color scheme wise because I'm still not that sold on Possessed and/or chosen and/or the special characters (I just never seem to get any real mileage out of the Sorc with Balestar nor Krannon)

Anyway, slowly painting up a lot of stuff.... I'm working on Ultra's simultaneously:

med_gallery_2760_10008_543721.jpg

Here is a bunch of WIP in one shot. Very frustrating.... I lost (somewhow) the right thigh pad of this Maulerfiend. I ordered a repalcement and it never came from the UK. So I can't even field this guy.... anyway he's about 65% done.

You can also see some partial Possessed work which I have worked on since. Also I'd LOVE to finish Tattersoul (in the background) He just has two levels of red on him, lots to do there.

Also note the Warp Talons. INCREDIBLE figs. Lots of detail to slow me down, however seemingly unusable on the tabletop makes it very hard to find motivation to use them.

med_gallery_2760_10008_598332.jpg

Here you can see the WIP Ultra's awaiting one more level of highlighting, basing, decals, etc. And a closer shot of the early stages on the Warp Talons after 2 shades of red, a dirty gold, and then a wash that is currently drying.

Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

I just finished an Ultramarine painting project and for a change of pace I decided to FINALLY... FINALLY finish this poor dude who gets used in all my Crimson Slaughter games.... My Crimson Slaughter Maulerfiend.

med_gallery_2760_10008_88743.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10008_264278.jpg

Here's a super blown up picture.... I painted runes on the top of the carapace that I can barely see in the pics.... and this is my phone camera so it's a bit blurry... hopefully you can see them in this blow up:

gallery_2760_10008_64605.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ew loyalist photos, what're those doing round here?!? Although they are very pretty :P The Mauler looks ace though, really like the gold you've got there, its a very nice shade. The weathering looks ace too.

Everyone needs victims.

Thanks guys!

IP of course you would be the first to notice that's originally the Black legion fiend! Lol

Yea that's him. I lost the leg pads though so I had to bits order them from England yet to replace my lost ones. I did as much as I could until the replacements came and he's finally done. Too bad he blew up in turn one!

I'd luke to know how to get more depth to my reds, currently get some passable results with base layer, wash, layer and blending highlights in with a second brush but still missing the light reflectivity that you achieve.

Archived