Building an army around Kurovs Aquila?

irwit

Hi all

Shoot me down if I am way off here but hear me out

Command squad with Kurovs Aquilla in a chimera.

ADL

9 sentinels with autocannons.  

Punisher either side.  

So you deploy sentinels in front,  Punishers to side and chimera with Aquilla in the center.  All behind the ADL in the center of the board.  Sit back with lots of 12 AV with 4+ cover save rerolling lot and LOT of dice.  

I would also have some Wyverns sit back who already get the reroll.  

Rest of the army works as normal.  

Does this sound at all like a good idea or will it crash and burn?

I had to look that relic up. Wow. How many points are you thinking. All I could think is 2 CAD. 9 LRBT's, that I have , and basilisks and in front of them an infantry blob. I then though .. Is there a way to make the rest of my army out flank...

This should make TAU cry. ( At least TAU I fight the most often.)

But then you are hoping the opponent comes with 24 inches.   I agree that having some plasma would make more use but the autocannons have a lot of range so it kind of forces your opponent to come to you.

Put it this way, 60 points to give a unit of 3 punishers preferred enemy is 20 points per model so pretty cheap really.

You could also hang back with a basilisk squadron or like my idea, 9 sentinels. As long as its planned around I think the price is not too bad.

If a model from a unit is within 6" of the aquila whole unit gains the bonus... now... 3 platoons combined into 50man blobs full of heavy weapons sitting behind aegis.

2+ cover is nice. Works even against superheavies with 10" blasts. (As long as it's not barrage)

Seriously, 6'' for 60 pts is a bad joke. If it would have been 12'' or less points...

For a tank hq there is a 2/3 chance to get preferred enemy anyways.

Assume a unit fires 30 shots at BS3 with S 3 weapons at a target that is T4 with 3+ save.

30 shots = 15 hits

of those 1/3 will wound = 5 wounds

Finally 2/3 will be saved leaving 1.66 unsaved wounds

PE re-rolls 1's to hit and to wound.

Those 30 shots = 15 hits.

5 of those shots will be re-rolled adding 2.5 hits

17.5 hits yields 5.833 wounds

2.9 will get a re-roll adding 0.9722 wounds

Of the 6.8055 wounds, 2/3 will save for about 2.27 unsaved wounds.

To find the increase, 2.7 (preferred enemy) / 1.66 (base line) = 136%

Therefore Preferred Enemy adds 36% effectiveness to the unit. We could change the hit rates or wound rates but the end ratio stays the same. 36% increase effectiveness. No matter how much damage a unit causes, it is 36% more effective with Preferred Enemy -- as long as it rolls to hit and to wound.

To find the point at which having Preferred Enemy will give a better result than more models, simply take the point cost of the PE wargear (60) and divide by the increase (0.36)

So if Kurov's Aquila can make 166 points worth of models gain PE, it will cause more damage than adding 60 points of models to that unit. Note that Pask's HQ squadron at its lowest point cost is > 166 points. It is also easy to keep the CCS with the Aquila in a chimera within 6" of Pask, a Wyvren squadron and a large infantry blob all at the same time while still allowing the warlord to use other traits. This also allows those units to have a version of Preferred Enemy that is not limited to one codex the way Old Grudges does.

======================================================

Put another way ...

re-roling 1's to hit makes it 16.66% more effective.

re-rolling 1's t wound make it 16.66% more effective.

Added together you get 33.33% increase in effectiveness.

However there is the synergy of re-rolling to wound those hits that were also re-rolled.

16.66% * 16.66% = 2.77%

33.33% + 2.77% = 36% after rounding.

If you take the cost of the whole CCS as I field them -- Aquila, vox and chimera -- it comes to 190 points. Therefore I need to buff 528 points of other units with preferred enemy to become cost effective to the point of having a free CCS with Chimera.

Yeah, its all accounting and math, does not do anything when the dice gods are against you and means nothing without tactics but it will help shift the odds slightly. Take it for what you will. But then I also advise to always take a commissar. Of course everyone knows priests are better but commissars are more fun

-- And before anyone brings it up ... Preferred Enemy does nothing for a wyvren since it is already twin-lined with shred.

Archived