Imperial knights formation.

Utsujin

The only legal Knight formation that I know about for 40k is Adamantine Lance out of the Red Waaaaagh! book. I know that one of the Warzone books had a formation, Pandorax perhaps? All of the warzone formations are apocalypse only though so it isn't legal for standard 40k. If you know of another formation please let me know, I'd love to hear about it.

The only legal Knight formation that I know about for 40k is Adamantine Lance out of the Red Waaaaagh! book.

Correct, and it happens to be the nastiest of the two.  I haven't been able to justify using it against an innocent quite yet.

There is currently a very blurred line between 7th Ed formation use and what makes Apocalypse unique. At the moment, one could saying any formation and/or unit is legal in any game with opponent permission. There are layers, though. If a unit or formation has an Apoc stamp or is found in an Apoc suppliment, you could say, "sorry, I'd like to stay with official 40k units and supplements, no Apoc stuff". The game is there for you to have fun, just one it is for your opponent.

SJ

You still have to take paladins and errants.  They're still very good for what they do to boot.  You can take lancers or castigators in number for every number of paladins or errants you take.

Cool. I've got 3 Paladins, and 2 Errants for most things. I've recently converted 1 Lancer and a I am converting 1 Castigator to  plug into games where needed..

That was true when only the Lancer existed and the rule required you to have Paladins and Errants verbatim. Now the rule reads as you can't have more Lancers, Acherons and Castigators(individually) than knights of any other kind. As opposed to a rule that might read you can't have more Cerastus-Pattern Knights than knights of any other kind(Questoris)

So you can have 1 Paladin, 1 Lancer and 1 Castigator; here you don't have more Lancers(1) than any other kind(1 Paladin, 1 Cas) and more Castigators(1) than any other kind(1 Paladin, 1 Lancer).

Or 1 Lancer and 1 Acheron. Here you don't have more Lancers(1) than any other kind(1 Acheron) and you don't have more Acherons(1) than any other kind(1 Lancer). You still can't have just one Lancer/Ach/Cas, but that's why the Cerastus are LoW as well.

The rule itself is strange and you would think it would be more of a hard limit; such as Cerastus-Patterns can't exceed 50% of your points total.