Question about fast tanks

Obeliske

Vehicles have three basic speed ranges.  Stationary (did not move), Combat Speed (moved up to 6"),  and Cruising Speed (moved more than 6" up to 12").  

How fast a vehicle moved determines how many weapons it can fire and what ballistic skill to use.  Stationary vehicles can fire all available weapons at full BS, moving at Combat Speed reduces this to a single weapon at full BS (the remainder are Snap Shots), and a vehicle that moved at Cruising Speed fires all weapons as Snap Shots.   Additionally, vehicles can make a 6" move during their Shooting Phase called Flat Out, instead of firing weapons.

Fast vehicle can move at Combat Speed and still fire all weapons as though they remained stationary.  Fast Vehicles that move at Cruising Speed can fire up to two weapons at full BS, the remainder are Snap Shots.  A Fast vehicle moving Flat Out may move up to 12".

What you want is the "How many weapons can a vehicle fire a full ballistic skill" table, which is in the reference section of the BWB (page 201 of the hard-copy).

It contains all the answers to your questions.

Yes, Heavy vehicles always count as Stationary for determining which weapons it can fire (and at what BS)  However, Heavy vehicles can never move faster than Combat Speed, and can never go Flat Out.

You're welcome.  Playing Blood Angels, I have to wrap my head around Fast Vehicles every edition change.  I love my Dakka Baals.

EDIT:  Dam13n is absolutely right on that reference, it's the best summary.  I tend to make a one page cheat sheet of relevant rules and references for my army list, so I don't have to pull the book out when I need to refresh my memory. 

• 2 weeks later...

quick question, my mate moved his 'fast' ork trukk 12 inches, then went without shooting and moved another 12inches. Is that right. ? 

I read it as can move another 6 inches and by doing this it trigger a dangerous terrain test ?

he argues that hes not going through dangerous terrian so didnt have to take the test. 

A Fast Vehicle (like an Ork Trukk) can Flat Out 12". (page 88, BWB)

The Dangerous Terrain comment from the "Flat Out" section means that he still takes a Dangerous Terrain test if the vehicle moves through / into Difficult or Dangerous Terrain just as if it had done so during the Movement Phase.

In other words, so long as his Flat Out move did not result in the Trukk going through terrain, he's fine.

Archived