Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grey Knights 1000 points list help needed

Grey Knights

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

HQ

librarian

level 3

storm bolter

master crafted warding stave

cuirass of sacrifice

165 total

troops

strike squad 110

halberd x4 8

incinerator 5

melta bomb 5

128 total

strike squad 110

halberd x4 8

incinerator 5

melta bomb 5

128 total

strike squad 110

halberd x4 8

incinerator 5

melta bomb 5

128 total

heavy support

nemesis dreadknight

personal teleporter

heavy incinerator

heavy psycannon

nemesis greatsword

225 total

heavy support

nemesis dreadknight

personal teleporter

heavy incinerator

heavy psycannon

nemesis greatsword

225 total

999 army total

Really any help would be fantastic, like how to play this army, or good ideas at all. Also i would like to make this army 1500 sometime soon so any ideas would be great. really any input you have what so ever would be wonderful. I'm a relatively new player and could really use some help. I have spend hours and hours reading my codex and trying to understand how grey knights work. I have played 6 games so far winning only 2 against orks in the 500 pts bracket. this game really means a lot to me and i'm trying to take a very versatile army not tailoring to anyone but strong against all. thanks for even just reading this and good luck. smile.png

Edited by buzzcola, 22 September 2014 - 06:05 AM.

Malicth

Malicth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21 posts
For the Librarian drop the Halberd and keep the stave, also he can only have one relic. Codex states that "Only one of each Relic of Titan may be taken per army. A model can use ONE of the following." Now if you are up against Vanilla space marines I'd ASK if you can take multiple relics as their codex allows it. Also drop all of the Mastercraft weapons and add another model to a squad. Then add Mastercraft or whatever you want to fill out til bits. More boots on the ground is always better. Also for purifiers Incinerators are always better and they need a rhino. They can't deep strike and they shouldn't be foot slogging ever. With their cleansing flame it works much better due to rhino having fire points. Now because you are taking out the Psycannons if you follow this you want the terminators to have them which they should due to relentless and Psycannons being salvo 2/4. Also to me sanctum isn't amazing so I wouldn't worry about taking the domina liber demonica so I'd go withe the Cuiraas. When you expand your army to more points remember, MORE dreadknights. I assume you are doing the Nemesis Strike Force as you only have 1 troop choice. NSF is fine but remember you don't have Objective secured with your troops because of it.

You also need to take your point values off wargear due to GW copyrights.

Anymore questions I'm happy to throw my 2 cents for what it's worth. Though I'm not an expert.

Edited by Malicth, 20 September 2014 - 04:50 AM.

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

Okay so I changed the list based on your advice and now I see why the flamers would be much better. I dropped the halberd and kept the stave, as well as the cuirass. I dropped the master-crafted and picked up two rhinos and, with that, no more models could be placed in the list, due to points, even when all upgrades were taken off. I gave melta bombs to all squads to fill out the points I needed to fill at the end. I also gave the termies a psycannon as you advised and saw the advantage of the termies running 4 shots a piece. I really would like to expand to 1500, but based on what I need to buy in terms of the rhinos. I’m probably going to stick around 1000 for now. When I run 1500, I will borrow some models and just make the list on the fly. Now, the nemesis strike force is the only list I actually know. If you know a better way to build the army, please let me know.

Thank you so much for you input if we can keep going back and forth on this army, I would really like that. I get to play nearly every Friday at a local shop, fighting Necrons, Chaos, Tyranid, Imperial fists, Sallys, Vanilla Marines, Space Wolves, and Orcs. Given that the shop closes at 6 pm, I only get to usually play one long 2v2 game. I also don’t get much time to get help on my list, especially since not many people know Grey Knights well. It means the world to me that you responded so quickly and I hope, with your input, I can build a real list that I can take anywhere and have some fun. Being a new player, building this list is a really daunting task and you’re helping a lot. If you have any friends that play and could give some advice, please share this. I could use all the help and input I can get, even if you’re not telling me about the list and telling me how to play it properly. Anyways, thank you so much for your help and I hope to hear from you.

Lil_Tiki_Boy

Lil_Tiki_Boy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 42 posts

You only need 2 halberds on the Purifiers since the other 2 will be carrying Incinerators instead, only Terminators can carry melee weapons and heavy weapons at the same time. Also this list looks a lot like what I run at 1000 points, except I run my Librarian with just a storm bolter and I only take one 5x Purifier squad in a Rhino. Then with the rest of my points I throw in a 10x Interceptor squad with a hammer and 2 incinerators and a halberd on the Justicar. I find something oddly satisfying about being able to teleport my units to places my opponents really don't want them to be. I know the Dreadknight can do it, but backing him up with a squad or being able to send him after an enemies HQ/MC/Tanks while still having a unit running around their back field lighting things on fire is so much fun! Not to mention it makes a great distraction while you move your Purifiers and Terminators into position to mop up.

HQ

1x Librarian - Storm Bolter

Troop

5x Terminators - 4x Halberds - 1x Hammer - 1x Psycannon

Elite

5x Purifiers - 2x Halberds - 1x Hammer - 2x Incinerators - Rhino

Fast Attack

10x Interceptors - 1x Halberd - 1x Hammer - 2x Incinerators

Heavy Support

1x Dreadknight - Greatsword - Heavy Incinerator - Heavy Psycannon - Personal Teleporter

Total - 999 points

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

well i have never used interceptors, but i am new so i may not see the full advantage of it. let me know how that interceptor unit has done for you. also when it comes to equipping models with heavy weapons the codex says any purifier may take items from the melee list. i figured it was an error in the codex. so i have been playing it as such and no one has found a rule against it. so apparently i can have a halberd as well as a incinerator or any other heavy weapon. maybe the people i play with just don't care all that much since i always get wrecked anyways. it does seem that my grey knights always go down in melee anyways.

also sorry for the errors its just a quick post.

Edited by buzzcola, 20 September 2014 - 10:55 PM.

Lil_Tiki_Boy

Lil_Tiki_Boy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 42 posts

Interceptors are great! They can't take as many heavy weapons as a purifier squad but they have a much easier time putting them to good use with their personal teleporters. They are especially handy at taking out units that your opponent wants to keep hidden in the back of their army. One player in my meta who plays daemons used to just keep his psykers in the back to summon more stuff to throw at people, now he has to think of a new strategy because I keep BBQing them with Interceptors and my NDK. Plus since they're technically "Jump Infantry" you dont have to spend points on a transport, just teleport them next to whoever you need killed and go from there.

Also, page 59 under Special Weapons is where it states that "A model may replace its storm bolter and melee weapon with one of the following" then list the heavy weapons. So they can take any melee weapon they want from the melee list but if they take one of the special weapons list then they have to drop their storm bolter and melee weapon.

Scott80

Scott80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
Hi
Why would you take interceptors over Dreadknight? IMO I would take a extra DK over 5 interceptors.
DK are much more survivable 2+ 5++,toughness 6. Only 30 points more with teleporter. DK are sooo much better.
I would go like this

HQ
1x Librarian

Troop
5x strike sqd

Elite
5x Purifiers - 1x Hammer - 2x Incinerators - Rhino

Fast Attack
5x Interceptors - 1x Hammer - 2x Incinerators

Heavy Support
2x Dreadknight - Greatsword - Heavy Incinerator - Heavy Psycannon - Personal Teleporter

Total - 1000 points

I have dropped all halberds as most units have hammerhand which is +2 strength anyways. No melts boms either as a DK can easily pop any tank. If you wanted some more points for this one DK could drop a psycannon to give you 35 points to play with.

I would jump Dknights and interceptors on top of them turn one and fry em with all the flamers. Get rhino on top of them as well, can come out turn 2 and get stuck in. They will be worrying about the DK next to them to fire at these.
Can deep strike Libby and strike squad or run them.

If your playing 2vs2 your gonna need your ally to get up the board with you or both armies will open fire on just you.

Cheers

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

Interceptors are great! They can't take as many heavy weapons as a purifier squad but they have a much easier time putting them to good use with their personal teleporters. They are especially handy at taking out units that your opponent wants to keep hidden in the back of their army. One player in my meta who plays daemons used to just keep his psykers in the back to summon more stuff to throw at people, now he has to think of a new strategy because I keep BBQing them with Interceptors and my NDK. Plus since they're technically "Jump Infantry" you dont have to spend points on a transport, just teleport them next to whoever you need killed and go from there.

Also, page 59 under Special Weapons is where it states that "A model may replace its storm bolter and melee weapon with one of the following" then list the heavy weapons. So they can take any melee weapon they want from the melee list but if they take one of the special weapons list then they have to drop their storm bolter and melee weapon.

I see where you’re coming from with the interceptors, that close range superiority with the ability to go anywhere on the board is extremely strong. I also like the idea of not running a transport (since I don’t own a rhino yet). Now, my main issue is I want a list that is versatile for any situation but I do enjoy shooting as a grey knight’s player. So for me, what has worked is sticking back and shooting while leading my enemies into choke points and bottle necks. Then while they are unsuspecting then I shunt behind allowing my ally push from where I was defending previously. That’s why I love bringing purifiers; using 2 psycannon’s and purifying flame to keep enemies out of assault range has worked very well for me. While units like interceptors are strong, they seem to not fit very well into my play style. I will give interceptors a shot, while not in this current list perhaps, but in a more casual setting. Also another reason why I’m kind of holding back on using the points for them, is the players I fight, always seem to tear me to pieces in melee. Also I am updating my list based on your advice i am using strike squads to have about the same mobility allowing deep strikes where its needed. I am taking out the extra halberds I was using thanks to your rule check. Thank you for the rule check. J

Edited by buzzcola, 22 September 2014 - 04:59 PM.

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

Hi
Why would you take interceptors over Dreadknight? IMO I would take a extra DK over 5 interceptors.
DK are much more survivable 2+ 5++,toughness 6. Only 30 points more with teleporter. DK are sooo much better.
I would go like this

HQ
1x Librarian

Troop
5x strike sqd

Elite
5x Purifiers - 1x Hammer - 2x Incinerators - Rhino

Fast Attack
5x Interceptors - 1x Hammer - 2x Incinerators

Heavy Support
2x Dreadknight - Greatsword - Heavy Incinerator - Heavy Psycannon - Personal Teleporter

Total - 1000 points

I have dropped all halberds as most units have hammerhand which is +2 strength anyways. No melts boms either as a DK can easily pop any tank. If you wanted some more points for this one DK could drop a psycannon to give you 35 points to play with.

I would jump Dknights and interceptors on top of them turn one and fry em with all the flamers. Get rhino on top of them as well, can come out turn 2 and get stuck in. They will be worrying about the DK next to them to fire at these.
Can deep strike Libby and strike squad or run them.

If your playing 2vs2 your gonna need your ally to get up the board with you or both armies will open fire on just you.

Cheers

I think I also agree, that a fully upgraded nemesis dread knight is a great choice but also burns points like crazy. That being said, I can never have enough on my board. They can call it the baby carrier all they want but, I love the model and I love that shunt behind a rhino pen it and flame the occupants, which is just lovely. A guilty pleasure of mine is I love fully upgrading my units, while in an elite army, this does tend to show problems from time to time. I believe that halberds are better for how much they cost per, having 7 STR really seems to help vs quite a few vehicles, and that brings diversity against whom I can fight(if you have details otherwise I would love to know, being a new player and all). Since I pretty much only run 2v2s it’s really hard to run melee well with an elite army. Thanks for your input though and I will be changing my list tonight using your input. 

Scott80

Scott80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
Buzz

I'm far from a veteran player, I just play for fun. I really think interceptors are too many points for what they do. 130 points just for one jump and only one attack. With the new codex termys are really cheap now. 33points each, purifiers are like 25. Only 8 points for a termy and it's troop choice so can hold objectives.
I think if your quite defensive you want some range and big guns so maybe a dreadnought with 2 auto cannons. Good range with 4 TL S7 hits. Keep dreadknight out of range and if your enemies getting close shunt in on them and toast em.

Libby
Strike with PC, justicar hammer
Termy with PC, hammer
Termy with PC, hammer
Dreadnought 2 psycannons
Dreadknight teleporte, flamer, sword

I think that's about 980 points.

Or
Libby
Strike with PC,
Dreadknight teleporte, flamer

1000 points
16 knights=32 bolter shots
4 knights =16 psycannon shots

Has a nice wall of fire to run into. Use dreadknights to hit tanks or just charge in when getting close.

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

Buzz

I'm far from a veteran player, I just play for fun. I really think interceptors are too many points for what they do. 130 points just for one jump and only one attack. With the new codex termys are really cheap now. 33points each, purifiers are like 25. Only 8 points for a termy and it's troop choice so can hold objectives.
I think if your quite defensive you want some range and big guns so maybe a dreadnought with 2 auto cannons. Good range with 4 TL S7 hits. Keep dreadknight out of range and if your enemies getting close shunt in on them and toast em.

Libby
Termy with PC, hammer
Termy with PC, hammer
Dreadnought 2 psycannons
Dreadknight teleporte, flamer, sword

I think that's about 980 points.

Or
Libby
Strike with PC,

1000 points
16 knights=32 bolter shots
4 knights =16 psycannon shots

Has a nice wall of fire to run into. Use dreadknights to hit tanks or just charge in when getting close.

I also agree that interceptors are too many points, but lil tiki boy has a point, jumping a NDK with an entire squad, even as a meat shield would work rather well. Termys are fantastic atm but I feel that running anything under 2000 makes running the number of termies I would need a struggle. That said, being able to shoot full salvo while still having melee potential, deep strike, and heavy armor they are outstanding. Now, I have been dead set on running as many termies as possible because the model is just bad ass. Then I started running purifiers because last codex they were all the rage and I wanted to see what the hype was about. In the end the termies just never came out to enough boots on the ground under 2000. The purifiers are great but I feel a 10 man strike squad can do the job better since getting off a good purifying flame comes rarely for me, but when needed I could use my librarian for when its needed. Plus having the entire army able to deep strike is pretty sweet. Now I have never fielded a dreadnought and I would really like to but not having str 8 auto cannons anymore is a large turn off for me but I still think it would help me with my 24” problem. Also are there any rules to having a nemesis strike force all deep strike with not models on the board?

Edited by buzzcola, 23 September 2014 - 01:59 AM.

Scott80

Scott80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
You need to start with at least one model on the table. If this is killed before your reserves arrive, you lose.
I would always have at least half deployed and then you can deep strike in.
If you defend more you can use half to stay back and fire and then deepstrike in behind enemy lines.
I think grey knights are better for attacking as they don't have good ranged weapons. They are better in assault as they have hammer hand and force weapons, instant death.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Post how you next game went with your list you ran.

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

Thank you so much for the ruling on deep-striking. so since i do enjoy defensive tactics but have an army with a strong offensive side to them, i believe the best way to field this army would be to start the game with the two NDK's on the field out of range. A large reason for doing this would be, that missing a deep strike that important would just ruin the game for me and my partner. Then using the strike squads to deep strike, bringing on the flamer pain and that good ole bolter. hopefully popping tanks the next turn and getting locked in combat. by that time the NDk's would hopefully popped some pie plates and and then start shunting close enough for some flamer time. With all the soul blaze going off and the tank bursting of strike squads with melta bombs i think this could work. then again who knows i'm just a scrub at this game but i do love it. I have another question though do you believe that melta bombs have enough potential for popping tanks consistently, so much so that i can skip out on hammers on my troops? one thing that i saw was that melta bombs dont carry the melta key word so when a vehicle or large creature has a resistance to melta this bomb should still get full die rolls.

Edited by buzzcola, 23 September 2014 - 07:23 AM.

Zembar

Zembar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 436 posts

You need to start with at least one model on the table. If this is killed before your reserves arrive, you lose.
If you defend more you can use half to stay back and fire and then deepstrike in behind enemy lines.
I think grey knights are better for attacking as they don't have good ranged weapons. They are better in assault as they have hammer hand and force weapons, instant death.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Post how you next game went with your list you ran.

Isn't this only true at/after the end of turn one? Null deployment is definitely a thing if you have a way of getting reserves in on turn one.

Call_of_Chaos_7_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

Isn't this only true at/after the end of turn one? Null deployment is definitely a thing if you have a way of getting reserves in on turn one.

I would love to get a rule check on this if anyone knows.

IndigoJack

IndigoJack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

"If at the end of any game turn, one player has no models on the battlefield, his opponent automatically wins" (pg. 133, BRB; emphasis mine) So if you're using a nemesis strike force, you certainly can reserve your entire army, though your leaving an awful lot up to the dice gods. If you're interested in null deployment, I wrote a null deployment tactica after the new codex was released.

"Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. But certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." -Einstein

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

lol going first at its finest. Still though would anyone know if taking melta bombs instead of hammers would be okay for strike squads? I need the armor punch but don't want to spend the points for the hammer.

IndigoJack

IndigoJack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

It's a trade-off, the melta-bomb is better against high AV, while the hammer is more flexible and can get bonus attacks from charging. IMO, it comes down to personal preference. 

"Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. But certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." -Einstein

Scott80

Scott80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
Buzz
Dreadknights will eat through tanks so easy. 3attacks base, +1 attack if you take doom fist as you have 2 close combat weapons, +1 attack for charge.
All in all that's 5 attacks on a vehicle strength 10. Should explode a LR in one turn.
Strike force can flame or bolter troops.

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

The melta bombs seems like a good back up for the strike squads and only being 5 points it seems pretty good. Also that dreadknight... the more i see him, the more i think i should just run two dreadknights a librarian with a strike squad allied with another army. the dreaknight seems to be the best thing in the book aswell as a librarian will always be good. same as a 3+ deep strike for taking objectives will always be good. everything else seems egh on its own. I think allies are the future of my army. maybe IG? 

maybe blood angels?

Scott80

Scott80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
Buzz

Defiantly agree GK as allies will work best. I'm Sm player all the way so only brothers will suffice lol. 1000 points won't really work though with allies as so few points. Yes you could make it work but GK are not cheap for the points. 1500 points up ally In but 1000 points just take GK. 2 dreadknights for the win IMO, awesome in such a small point game. Not much can deal with this. Back up with strike squads for objectives and you won't do too bad.

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

For allies i would run 1500 pts i think. Like you said 1000 points wont really do it for allies. Im still not sure who would be a good ally though.

IndigoJack

IndigoJack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

Buzz
Dreadknights will eat through tanks so easy. 3attacks base, +1 attack if you take doom fist as you have 2 close combat weapons, +1 attack for charge.
All in all that's 5 attacks on a vehicle strength 10. Should explode a LR in one turn.
Strike force can flame or bolter troops.

You get the +1 attack no matter want weapons you take, as all of the dreadknights weapons are 'specialist weapons'

buzzcola

buzzcola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

god damn the dreadknight is so good

Scott80

Scott80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
Cheers indigo.