Space Hulk 4th Edition (what's new/different)

Brother Tyler

I was fortunate to be able to pick up my copy of the new Space Hulk today, so naturally I rushed home and opened it as quickly as I could. My main focus was finding out just what was new and/or different in the new edition compared to the last one. I'm betting that a number of you are similarly wondering, so for those of you that either won't get a copy for awhile yet, those of you that are debating making the purchase, and those of you that are simply curious, here's a rundown.

First, though, I'm calling this 4th edition because that is what Games Workshop is calling it. Explicitly. If GW wasn't referring to it as "4th edition," I would be calling it version 3.1, or the expanded 3rd edition. We can go around and around in circles about what to call it and whether it is a re-issue or a new edition (and I've grown bored with the argument where it appeared elsewhere on the B&C), but that won't get us anywhere. Whatever your opinion is on the matter, GW is calling it "4th edition" so that's what I'm calling it.

Interesting note - the most important things to me were the rulebook and mission book, and Games Workshop put those at the very bottom of the box. I was hoping they'd be on top, but I guess putting them on the bottom makes sense, preventing them from being scratched by plastic sprues with lots of pointy bits. The sprues are right on top, with the tiles in between. Of note is the bundle of plastic bags that Games Workshop provided for storage of counters, dice, etc. I don't recall if the 3rd edition box had the bags, though my memory doesn't recall any. Besides, I've been using a custom B&C bag with foam storage for the 3rd edition copy that I broke out, so any theoretical bags in 3rd edition, if they existed, would have been used for something else.

Getting back on subject...

The thing that sucked me into buying this edition was the addition of four "new" missions. I say "new" because I suspect that some/all have been re-purposed from older (1st/2nd edition) missions and campaigns. I'm not certain, though, so I'll give GW the benefit of the doubt unless/until I find out otherwise.

Here's a rundown of the missions in both editions. I've used the mission names as the key identifier since the new missions have re-sequenced things. The Roman numerals in parenthesis show the mission numbers, with the 3rd edition first, followed by the 4th edition after the slash.

Beachhead (-/I)

This mission was used in the battle report of White Dwarf Weekly issue 33. It features two squads of Terminators deploying via boarding torpedoes, with the Genestealers starting the mission in a dormant state (reduced APs).

Suicide Mission (I/II)

The Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and chainfist has replaced a Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and power fist.

Exterminate (II/III)

The Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and chainfist has been replaced by a Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and power fist.

Rescue (III/IV)

The Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and chainfist has switched squads, exchanging places with a Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and power fist.

Cleanse & Burn (IV/V)

The Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and chainfist has switched squads, exchanging places with a Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and power fist.

Decoy (V/VI)

Alarm Call (VI/VII)

The Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and chainfist has replaced a Space Marine Terminator with a storm bolter and power fist.

Into the Depths (-/VIII)

This mission introduces the turbo-lift. I'll go through the old missions to see if this version is an update of something from 1st edition.

The Artefact (VII/IX)

Escape Route (VIII/X)

Regroup (IX/XI)

The rules for Space Marine deployment have been expanded/clarified.

Hard Vacuum (-/XII)

This mission introduces the damaged control room tile and the hard vacuum rule.

No Escape (-/XIII)

This mission introduces breach counters.

Defend (X/XIV)

Unknown Lifeforms (XI/XV)

Clarifications to the power field generators rules and the exiting the map rules.

Pitfall (XII/XVI)

Clarification to the assault cannon rules.

I only gave a cursory look at each of the maps, but didn't notice any changes to the missions that carried over from 3rd to 4th edition. I'll take a more in-depth look later.

The covers for each of the books seem to be of a slightly heavier weight in 4th edition, and the header fonts have changed. The cover images have been changed from the all black backgrounds to the blue-green/black horizontal line patterns.

The line of sight rules and examples have changed slightly (ever so slightly); and there have been a few minor clarifications implemented in the rules. Other than that, however, the rules are virtually identical between the editions in terms of both substantive content and organization.

The 4th edition includes the following additional tiles and counters:

• 4 corridors
  • 1 room (the damaged control room)
  • 2 dead ends
  • 2 boarding torpedoes
  • 2 boarding torpedo ramps
  • 1 turbo-lift
  • 2 turbo-lift entrances
  • 4 breach1 turn counter
I haven't looked too closely, but it appears that everything that was in the 3rd edition box remains in the 4th edition box (plus the new goodies listed above).

+EDIT+

Overwatch has changed, too. Space Marine Terminators are no longer required to fire when on overwatch. In practice, this will probably only mean that Terminators won't be shooting at closed doors (a nasty little trick that the Genestealer could do under 3rd edition - close a door while within LOS and hope that the Terminator's storm bolter jams), as well as when multiple Terminators on overwatch have LOS to the same Genestealer, allowing the Space Marine player to declare which of the Terminators will fire instead of all of them automatically firing. This change basically makes the Space Marines more intelligent in conducting overwatch fire.

Two other updates. First, the new box is slightly deeper than the 3rd edition box by 1/8" or so (maybe a wee bit more). Second, the new tiles are slightly thicker than the old ones, by about 1 or 2 mm. The tile thickness is barely noticeable and shouldn't affect mixing sets, though.

I got access to the dataslates, and have copies of most of the Ipad content, scenarios, new weapons and troops. Happy to answer questions if you have any.

All the scenarios are based on missions from earlier editions, but the maps have been changed. Some in only minor ways, some quite a lot, as the tile set is different. All three campaigns use the boarding torpedo rules, as seen in new WD33 Space Hulk battle report on the Beachhead mission from 4th ed, for the first mission.

The Dark Angels have the most new weapons and troops, The scenarios could be played with the 3rd edition rules. All use 2 squads, a Deathwing Command Squad and a normal Terminator Squad. The maps are not significantly different from the 2nd ed WD originals, despite those using several unique tiles.

The Ultramarines maps have been changed as the original 2nd edition campaign used a unique tile printed in White Dwarf. (The gantry room for those that remember it). Again, uses 2 squads.

The Space Wolf has tweaked maps from the 1st ed WD campaign. The new turbolift is used, though you could work around it by using one of the spare single entry rooms from 3rd ed. Only 1 squad of Wolf Guard are used in the missions.

Thanks! But, I don't understand your squad reassignments between 3rd and 4th edition. The 3rd edition mission descriptions (which are in conflict with the fluff) state that the chainfist (Valencio) is with squad Gideon. But, your post seems to imply he is assigned to squad Lorenzo in 3rd edition, and is being switched to squad Gideon in 4th edition. For example, the suicide mission in 3rd ed. does not have a chainfist, but your post implies that it does. I am now all confused, could you please confirm what your 3rd edition mission book states in the mission description squad assignments and how it is changed in 4th edition?

I'm still not following. For example, in 3rd edition mission description, there is no chainfist in the Suicide mission. (Which is in conflict with the lore and I was hoping it would be fixed in 4th edition.) However, your original post implies that the chainfist is already in the 3rd ed. suicide mission (not according to my 3rd ed book!), and not in the 4th edition. Am I reading that right?

(The gantry room for those that remember it). 

I do remember it! Made my own version for a custom 3rd Edition mission!

The Chainfist marine's squad membership was always a conflict between fluff and rules so it's good to see that they took the opportunity to see that they tidied it up. I'd really like the extra content but it's a lot of money for just the extras. Of course if I got another set then I could combine the two for huge games. Oh well. I guess I'll procrastinate until the 4th edition is sold out and then let that be my decision made for me.

I haven't looked into the digital versions. When  Bloodgrin says, "I am irritated as hell that the dataslates are ipad only" does (s)he mean literally only ipads or e-versions only?

Can they be printed out? I'm willing to buy them but I don't have a Mac or iPad. I'd get them on a friends Mac if they are printable.

I got my copy today and it's gorgeous. The new open to space tile is my favorite and the boarding torpedoes look good enough to be actual models. When you place the torpedo next to the board you put a ramp tile down so you can walk the Terminators across to the Hulk, an awesome addition. 

Who all got art prints with it? I didn't, and now I feel a little bit like I missed out. I preordered right away in the US. Anyone else either get it or not? 

Also, I heard the iBooks have an interactive command tile. Do they all or just the Ultras one? Does it work well? 

I got an art print, also. It was in the very bottom of the shipping box, outside of the game box. If you weren't careful, you may have missed it. Same thing, it says something like "Thanks for ordering from GW" in small print at the bottom.

I pre-ordered my game direct from GW

Archived