Space wolf player trying to get into 30K advice needed

Dantay VI

Hi,

I am a Space Wolves collector (not so mucha player, as I only get in 3-4 games per year)

I would like to put together a Heresy era Space Wolves army. I know they do ot yet have any legion specific models or rules etc yet, but that is fine.

I am not looking for a competitive army, but more something fluffy and fun to build and paint and game -legal should someone want a game.

I currently have:

Terminator Legion Praetor

Terminator second/ wolf priest.

5 Mk4 recon marines

4 cataphract with combi plus power weapons, 1 Autocannon plus power maul

5 cataphract with thunderhammer & storm shield

5 Tartaros with Power/chain fist & storm shield

4 cataphract/justaerin conversions with stormbolter and axe, 1 with autocannon and axe.

2 cataphract with lightning claws, 1 ctaphract with heavy flamer.

1 Fire Raptor magnetised turret weapons.

I love terminators. Is this the start of a viable legal list?

What elements would work well with it. I am thinking assault marines and some tanks, maybe more recon marines and some tacticals. I have no idea about vulkite weaponry etc...

My plan has been that it can be a cross-over 40K force also, The differeing grey from the Baby blue denoting veterans and Lords.

Anyhoo, any advice, hints or tips would be great. Also would any of the current legions be good thematically for the Space Woves until new rules/models show up?

Thanks in advance

Pictures below of models so far, most need wolfing up a wee bit.

P1010090

P1010032

P1010010

P1010003

P1000989

P1000979

P1000978

P1000977

P1000975

P1000976

Well, no Wolves-specific rules yet, but we should get them within the year (ish).  I haven't paid as much attention to when the Prospero book is coming as I should, but it's supposed to be after the next one that's coming up soon... ish.

In 30k, you can field a variant list with something called a Rite of War (a special rule available to Praetors).  One of these is called Pride of the Legion, which makes terminators and veteran squads into troops choices, and would probably be perfect for your current collection.  A praetor, a few squads of Terminators, a couple land raiders and a spartan for them to ride in, and you'll have a complete army.  This should also work just fine for 40k with the Champions of Fenris supplement.

In your current collection, you may struggle to find a dual-use for those TH/SS terminators.  Currently, only Imperial Fists and Salamanders have storm shields of any description, and it's not known yet if Wolves will have access to shields for their terminators.

Thank you both for your advice.

I have to admit to not looking at the HH books too much, its almost like sensory overload for someone fresh to 30K

I am hoping that Space Wolves in the future do get access to TH/SS. I have collected visions and there is a number of pictures of Space Wolves (but not terminators) wielding shields. All the shields so far are blue tacked on for now. I plan to use a imitted pallette for painting them and giving all terminators a shield... Even if they cant use it, it will atleast be a visul reference to who is where :) Plus something to build a saga around maybe. For example, Storm bolter and axe guy can have his strapped to his back and it is decorative.

I love terminators and the CoF list will work for me to use these as 40K equivalents? excellent, now I just need to track a copy of this tome down :)

However I do not need to use all of them, so what would be a balanced 30K army?

Another quick question. Can 30K terminators take cyclone missile launchers?

I see wolves specializing more with the attacks at init with ap2 claws. 30k terminators (barring special wolf termies if any drop) can take combi bolters or volkite, with 1 heavy/5 models being plasma, heavy flamer, or assault cannon.

Termies themselves are very different, as there's terminator armor, which might as well be fancy artificer 2+/no invuln, or Cataphractii, which is 2+/4+ but gets slow and purposeful, and other nasty footslogging problems. You'll have to pick up transport for them.

I see wolves specializing more with the attacks at init with ap2 claws. 30k terminators (barring special wolf termies if any drop) can take combi bolters or volkite, with 1 heavy/5 models being plasma, heavy flamer, or assault cannon.

Termies themselves are very different, as there's terminator armor, which might as well be fancy artificer 2+/no invuln, or Cataphractii, which is 2+/4+ but gets slow and purposeful, and other nasty footslogging problems. You'll have to pick up transport for them.

I thought Indomitus and Tartarus termies had a 5+ invulnerable.

they do. Cataphractii is as stated; 2+/4+ with slow and purposeful instead of relentless.

The only way to get Indomitus and Tartaros' save lower is with a Storm Shield, which is only available to Imperial Fists and Salamanders in 30k (for now at least).

According to what I found on FW website, the Prospero book has been pushed back about a year. Grrrr. We were supposed to be next, but from what I read they were having trouble with the rules (as in there were a lot of them!)

And no marine, let alone a Vika Fenryka should be in powder blue armor!!!!!! laugh.png

Well, consider that they also have to flesh out and bring to life the Thousand Sons. Arguably the most divergent Legion out there and therefore the hardest to represent with fluffy rules that are balanced relative to the other Legions.

Archived